Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Going to Disneyland. Starting to get worried...Vent
slovene54 posted:
My daughter's first trip to Disneyland next month. Very excited except my feet and legs are horrible right now. I can't walk 5 min in a store without horrible pain. I've been wearing orthotics for a few weeks, got better shoes. I recently had my archs collapse in my feet. They are worried I tore tendons. I have to wear the orthodics for at least 6 weeks before they will do anything else. We tried to get refunds on tickets but no deal. I'm just gearing up to be in a lot of pain for a few days.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Is another adult going with you? If so, you may want to consider renting one of the wheelchairs available at Disneyland.

If that's not feasible, pace pace pace. You're going off season and so it shouldn't be quite so packed. There are a lot of benches (and rides, of course). And use the fast pass as often as possible (it's free) so you don't have to stand in the long lineups for the most popular rides.

And you still have quite a few weeks before your trip. How you're feeling now could be improved by then.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

slovene54 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for your advice!! I'm trying to walk on the weekends to try to help. My muscles feel so weak and tired all the time. But as long as I can keep going I will. Just trying to understand fibro still. All I hear from people around me is that it's my weight and that I don't excercise. I truly feel trapped at the moment because I just don't have any extra energy to put into myself after work and taking care of my Zoe and puppy. My husband works a night shift so he sleeps on Saturdays too and Sunday is the only day I have help. And I really have to push to get that help. *sigh*. Hopefully in a few weeks he will be on a day shift. Just keep holding on till then.

rudyandirmouse replied to slovene54's response:
Hi slovene54, Linda R here and my SIL needed the scooter for her trip with us to Disneyland. The rental store is across the street from the main gate. I don't think the rental was to very expensive. You can park you car there at the store as well. You will be surprised at how many scooters are being used at Disneyland these days. If you pace yourself throughout the day I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

And there are somethings to get yourself ready for and can do do before your trip The Happiest Place On Earth. Get a good night's sleep, take a salt bath the night before and there are OTC muscle creams to help your legs feel better. Also take water because drinking water throughout the day will help your muscles hydrate and that alone will make you legs feel better.

Hope you feel much better by the time your visit to Disneyland.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

annette030 replied to slovene54's response:
Enjoy the trip to Disneyland, I adore it.

Make time to get yourself squared away once you get home. If you have a puppy, start by walking it every day. See your doctor first of course. Walking is great exercise. Work up to at least an hour most days. Slow but sure, you will get there if you want to.

Some folks live alone and have no help, be happy with what you have. Don't worry so much.

Take care, Annette

booch007 responded:
I am right with everyone on this. Rent the scooter. You also move ahead for rides with your family, so the long lines are not so bad.

Bring a doctors note with you in case there is any eyebrow raising. I have a handicap sticker that follows me to places.

My son got me tickets once to see Paul McCarthy and it ended up with us in the handicap section.....I had an attendant that helped me with my chair and in and out to the bathroom. (a bit overboard for my needs) but I was amazed at what can be available to people so you CAN have a life.

Bring thermacare patches, your best shoes, a small pill box with breakthrough meds with you if you get into trouble. Pace while there and I KNOW that when you get there the excitement and joy of the trip will make it amazing!

(just a note on people telling you this is your weight....IT IS NOT YOUR WEIGHT, but moving is always better then not. Never give in to just crawl up......keep fighting and keep moving. THEY DO NOT KNOW THIS. Best move, being here....we know this.)

Have a great time and yes the unknown is always scary, but you will be fine...I just know it! Hugs, Nancy B

spiderslayer responded:
The best way to deal is take it slow...think about renting one of the electronic carts, and don't try to go go go. If you can , go more than one day, and take breaks at the hotel. We just went with a friend and her daughter in August for 3 days. All 3 of us have fibro, and her daughter is just recently out of the hospital. we took it easy and had a great time. Remember, you can use the handicapped entrance for most rides so you dont h ave to stand in line...and at Ca. Adventure, remember to get your fast passes.

An_247912 responded:
Hi,
Usually I don't post anything but I just had to give you my 2 cents worth. I have fibro and I also used to work at Disneyland. We still have passes and go often. I have a few tips for you. The other ones listed in this post are great too. Yes there is a space on Harbor Blvd that you can park if you have a handicapped pass. If not, you can park in the parking structure and a tram will take you to the entrance of the park. Handicap parking is always downstairs and there are also elevators available. The scooters are really great but you have to go early in the morning to get one. Usually they get rented pretty quickly. You have to put a deposit down but get some of it back. I believe it's $25 to rent and $50 deposit overall.

If you are staying somewhere close by I would suggest to go and rest in the afternoon for a bit if you can. It's not worth being out there all day and then being exhausted the next day. You will last longer if you take breaks every day. I can't go to Disneyland for an entire day and walk, it wears me out for 2 days after. You can also sit out for a few rides and rest too instead of waiting in line. There are many benches to sit on. Also there's a great set of benches on Main Street. As you are walking in towards the castle they are to the right about halfway down. They are sitting on a porch and there is usually shade there.

One more note, Disneyland is a lot smaller than Walt Disney World so you can see most everything in a day and a half.

Hope those tips help! Let me know if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them Good luck and remember to pace yourself!

inspirationsbym responded:
Hi,
I usually don't post but I just had to respond to this one. I have fibro and I used to work at Disneyland. We still have passes and go there often. I have a few tips for you and the ones you have gotten here are great too. First, there is handicap parking on the ground floor in the parking structure. A tram will take you to the front of the Disney parks. You can definitely rent a scooter at the front of the park but keep in mind they usually get rented out early in the morning. They don't have too many available. You will need to go early to get one. They are about $25 to rent and require a $50 deposit which you will get back. These are great because then no one has to push you all day. A doctor's note is a good idea, sometimes they will want to see that before giving you a pass to get in front of lines with the wheelchair.
Also if you're going to stay somewhere close I would recommend going back there to rest during the afternoon. I can't go all day at Disneyland and if I do, I'm in terrible pain and then worn out for 2 days after that. It's so not worth it. Pacing yourself is important I have learned. Resting will help tremendously.
There are also many benches and places to sit. You may have to sit while others go on a ride if you get too tired. One more tip, there are some great benches on a covered porch on Main Street. Going through Main St on your way to the castle this porch will be on your right. It's usually in the shade and it's a great place to just hang out. And keep in mind that Disneyland is not too big (unlike Walt Disney World), it takes only about a day and a half to see most/all of Disneyland park.
Good luck! If you have any other questions I would be happy to help. I still remember a lot from working there and then of course going all the time. Have fun!

inspirationsbym replied to inspirationsbym's response:
Sorry, there was a snafu with the posting, it looks like my original one DID post!

katmandulou responded:
Hi slovene54:
Have you been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis? I have, and the arch pain is horrendous! In addition to orthotic inserts, I have arch bandages I use every day. They are simply elastic fabric sewn into a short tube. I pull one on before I put my sock on and make sure it's placed where I need it.

In Amazon, search "arch bandage" to see what I'm trying to describe. I originally found them in a local store, but they no longer carry them. My podiatrist says if it helps, go with it!

Wishing you a great trip!
Lou

slovene54 responded:
Thank you all so much for all the advice!! I'll have 2 days at disneyland and 1 at california adventure. I would love to do the scooter but I think my husband would be so embarrased of me. I know that sounds bad but he has a tough time really believing how bad my pain is. I will take lots of breaks for sure. And let my husband do all the chasing and long lines! I'll sit till they get close! Thanks again for all the good advice!!

An_247919 replied to katmandulou's response:
I just saw your post and am going to try the arch bandages. I have a splint I wear at night for plantar fascitis and it seems that by the middle of the day my feet are killing me.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.