Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
fibromyalgia
Gobner posted:
I have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, although I'm not sure it is the correct diagnosis. I have had joint pains that became very severe about 8 months ago with flare ups that would start in random joints and last for two to three days. It seemed to hit every joint across the space of two months. Exams and blood tests showed no inflammation or inflammation markers, and there was no swelling during flare ups.

I have never had swelling of any kind my entire life. Even when I broke my toe there was no swelling (I didn't realize it was broken until I had an X-ray for something else a year later). More recently, I had an abscess tooth but I didn't realize it until the infection had worked its way into my skull and started giving me severe headaches. There was absolutely no swelling, even after having the mother of all root canals.

Would lack of swelling affect a diagnosis of arthritis? Is the lack of swelling something I should be concerned about?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Gobner,

I'm sure others will be responding but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Gobner,

Sorry about being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. A common complaint of those with fibro is joint pain, usually widespread joint pain. There are many other common complaints in fibro, including swelling.

Swelling in painful joints often indicates joint inflammation, but it is not necessary to have swelling in order to have joint pain, arthritis, or fibromyalgia. Lack of swelling is usually good; I don't want my patients to have swelling! I'm not aware of any medical concerns related to the absence of swelling.

Work with your doctor for any questions or concerns about your diagnosis. I hope you are feeling better.

Dr. P

janejanehk replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
hi Gobner,

I've disgnosed with FMS for 13 years, I'm now only 30-something. Let's walk together. I'm also facing my difficulties.

blessing,
Jane

sunnync replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
This question is for Dr. P. I have been diagnosed with fibro for a few years now and finally been referred to a pain management clinic by family doc. I took 2 hydrocodone from a script i have nursed for about 5 months now (only taking on the days that made me feel like dying was a better option than the pain) but people have told me that the pain clinic will turn me away if this is in my system. Why is that when I have a valid script and have not abused it ?

dollbug replied to sunnync's response:
Hello sunnync....MiMi in NC. Dr. P is no longer with our support group. From what I have read about pain medicines and FM....pain medicines are used for *short term issues*...and as we all know FM is not a short term illness. This is probably the only thing that I can think of. Taking pain medicines for a long time can cause addiction.....which is probably what the doctors are *thinking*....plus it has been researched and the researchers say that pain medicines do not really help FMers.

Not sure though how they came up with this.

Perhaps others will chime in. We do have several nurses on board who just might have more input about this issue.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.