Skip to content
Barometric Pressure Changes
Alix1972 posted:
I live in the South (U.S.) and Friday evening I started feeling achy and crampy and it got worse and worse and all of a sudden - I couldn't even touch my own skin. I seriously considered going to the ER to see if they'd even consider giving me a shot of Demerol. I don't even know if it would do any good. EVERYTIME I suddenly start to hurt all over, out of the blue, I ask my boyfriend "We don't have a storm system moving through, do we?" and EVERYTIME the answer is "Yes".

Is this JUST ME?

And if I'm not some freak of nature that can detect the change in the barometric pressure, then - what do any of you do when the pain hits you. If you're like me then you understand that THIS is not the USUAL Fibro pain... this is... I can't even describe this pain. This is torture. And there's nothing I can do about it.

Can anyone help?

Alix
FirstPrevious12NextLast

BarometerChangeIsPain responded:
Yes, yes, yes! I have been telling this to people for years. I know this should be studied in depth. My friend's daughter is half my age and she and I can track our pain levels according to changes in the barometric pressure.

sp2001 replied to BarometerChangeIsPain's response:
YES! I always know when it's going to rain! Colder months are hard too. Your not alone on that. We are a living version of the Farmer's Almanac! LOL

micbrewski responded:
Yes!! I agree also. Like you said people think you are crazy but it is so true!

CLKWC1964 responded:
Most definitely true. It is insanely bad pain and I wish I could run away from my body. I also live in the south and it can get really bad. The older I get the worse it seems to get. Cat:0)

An_247795 responded:
Hi Alix. My first visit at this community site. I, as with all other responses, do have the same symptoms. I can always, always, always tell when it's going to rain or we are getting a change in weather. I've had fibro for many years, along with other disorders, but I feel the pain and fatigue are getting worse as time goes on. It is torture and no matter what I do, the pain is constant. I see rheumatologist, chiropractor, have had massage and traction, TENS unit, heating pads, pain meds, cymbalta, celebrex, OTC meds and pain patches... the list goes on and on. Suffer from depression and anxiety. I truly feel not only is the pain and fatigue continuing to agitate my depression but having to get out of bed and go to work every day causes even more anxiety and depression. But I know I cannot quit work because we can't afford to pay the bills. Sometimes I just want to go to sleep and not wake up. I pray about it and thank God that I can get up every day to go to the job I have. Right? But I am getting very discouraged and I am relieved to have found this site and see comments that are similar to the way I feel.

rudyandirmouse responded:
Hello Alix, Linda R here and YES we do feel weather changes. I've had the fibro DX for over 30 years now and I swear I am a human barometer.

When the pressure in the air goes heavy I know bad weather is coming cause I can feel it. I know when it's going to rain and I know how bad the rain is going to be by how the pressure makes my body feel.

I also think doctors need to study this aspect of fibro. I don't know why our bodies feel the weather changes as they do but they do and sometimes the pain from the pressure is unbearable. ER unbearable. I wish they had something to give those of us who suffer this side effect of fibro so we'd have some relief from weather changes. I mean it's bad enough to go from warm and feeling well to cold and feeling all the body aches and pain but add to that the changes in our bodies when a storm comes in. Don't we suffer enough?

Okay, just wanted to let you know your not alone.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

Randm2220 responded:
I can feel the barometric pressure changes too! It is a miserable time! I live in the south as well! I love the south, but the change in pressures is a terrible time!

booch007 responded:
Alex,

I don't know your age, but even if we didn't have this....we become barometers as we age.......a knee will tell you, feet can speak out and hands are another good one to give you the heads up before the weatherman!

It is too much right? Nancy B

rudyandirmouse replied to booch007's response:
NancyB, you are so right. I know I have this power of weather prediction and I am not sure if it's fibro connected or not. But I will know maybe a half a day before a rain storm comes in that it's coming. And I will be able to know how bad it might be by the headache or migraine I get. Some times the pain is so bad that I wonder if I can make it thru until the storm
passes.. other times the storm's pressure is nothing and I haven't a clue it's coming in.

I am my own little weather channel.. and I don't like it either.

Gentle hugs, Linda R.

louise856 responded:
I understand exactly! And yes I know it's the weather also. I knew it when you said even your skin hurt. And yes it is torture. The last time I had it real bad, I had laid on the floor and lifted my 3 year old grandson up and down with my legs. Wow it took a month to get past this stupid mistake. I am now on Savella, and I have seen a great improvement overall. I sleep better and just generally feel better daily. Maybe you could try it.

taxlady49 responded:
I too, have barometric fibro. Fall and spring are absolutely miserable. I live on the west coast and can tell when the bad storms are coming in. It breaks through my medication. I have had to learn to work through the pain, I can show up at work feeling fine and can be slow and hardly able to walk within 2 hours. When the storm has gone, I am fine again...
If the barometer did not go up and down so drastically, it might be easier to take, at least some of my co-workers accept the fact that I have to slow down..... You have to learn to roll with the punches, mother nature is not always nice.... good luck to you....

ShannonNoel responded:
I live in the south, too. But even when I lived in the north I had issues with barometric pressure. I remember my dad acting like I was crazy when I'd say the rain was giving me migraines... then I had a neurologist who agreed with me that it is definitely a trigger when the barometric pressure changes. Now that I've been dx with Fibro, I find I often get more achy when the rain is coming, and I still often get migraines from it as well. From what I've read, when the barometric pressure lowers it can cause swelling. I think this is where the pain comes from.

supportu2 replied to An_247795's response:
sounds definetely like fibromayalgia. I have a problem with sleep cause I am menapausal also and melatonin seems to help me. I am unable to work so count your blessings that you can work. I will be praying for you. The fibromayalgia does give alot of pain and my tens unit helps to some degree and my micro 11 unit I will find out at physical therapy Friday how to work it. Had a bad car accident a year in a half totaled my vehicle out. Really nice 04 Grand Am. Miss it badly and had to downgrade to an 02 Grand Am. My son found it in Louisiana. Take Care!

gdsjoy replied to BarometerChangeIsPain's response:
Oh my word. I had the hardest time sleeping last night. The pain is worse than it has been in a long time, and it has been pretty bad already. I checked the weather forecast and there is a very slow moving high pressure system. But the chance of rain is very slim. So is it the high pressure system? Or some other trigger like stress? Having a lot of that too. I HATE THIS! I'm having a very hard time dealing with it right now, and I have had it since at least 2003.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
199 of 216 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.