Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Meds too expensive! Ideas?
gdsjoy posted:
So, I am taking Lyrica and Cymbalta. Definately can't drop off the Lyrica. Any ideas of things you take in addition to Lyrica that may help? They both cost me $45 each. With all other meds for me, son and hubby, we spend over $200! No wonder we are in so much credit card debt. Plus other medical bills.

Randm2220 responded:
I take lyrica and cymbalta too. Coming off the cymbalta and returning to celexa. Cymbalta just didn't work......

I hope you find a better combo that is easier on your wallet! It is a trial and error thing. Discuss the cost with your doctor. There are alternatives to these meds that don't cost as much.

jillydawn responded:
My meds cost me a small fortune also. The majority are generic and even that adds up. I take a one name brand that I have a card for, and that's still not cheap.

JMPost2nd responded:
I take Lyrica 75mg 2X day, Cymbalta 60mg 1X day and now the doc added Savella, a new drug especially for Fibro, 50mg 1X day. I blend those with 2 Arthritis strength Tylenol 650mg 2X day, 7 hours apart as advised by a pharmacist. I can't take NSAIDS because of stomach bleeding. This cocktail keeps me upright most days tho I am very tired sometimes. Without the Tylenol I don't do as well. I also have Osteoarthritis that has progressed recently, take a blood pressure drug, a GERD drug and 2 allergy drugs. Get the doc to add Savella, it might help and please don't poo poo the actions of plain old Tylenol..

JMPost2nd replied to JMPost2nd's response:
PS on Savella post above.....I fought this for 25 years before being diagnosed and this doc had me stop all drugs for a month. I went in and told him how bad I felt in 2.5 weeks and he said "You have Fibromyalgia " and we went from there.

gdsjoy replied to JMPost2nd's response:
I tried Savella and boy did it mess me up! And now I have a whole bottle of it and a bunch of samples and that stuff is not cheap! Wish I could give it to you.

booch007 responded:
Contact the companies of your meds...ask the pharmacist for this and then share the hardship. THEY want you on their drug..they NEED you on their drug and will give you assist cards.

I just received cards for Brillinta a new anticlotting med. It will cost the pt 18 a month to be one this $$$$ med with the card.

SO THERE IS HOPE.

They all have programs and assistance. Go for it! nancy B

annette030 replied to gdsjoy's response:
Just a suggestion...

When you try a new drug you can either get samples from your doctor if he has them, or fill a partial RX to see how they will agree with you. If it works and the side effects are tolerable, fill the rest, or have him write you two RXs to start out with.

Take care, Annette

gdsjoy replied to booch007's response:
Wow, I didn't know that. What a great idea!

cjh1989 responded:
only thing I can add since most meds don't work for me is while I was on lyrica I took vicoprofen (hydrocodone ibuprofen) and a muscle relaxer such as Robaxin or soma, I hate flexeril but may work for you. ( you may not want the vicoprofen but thats the only thing that happen to work for me that is cheaper and I've tried everything from tramadol, meloxicam, prednisone, cymbalta, lyrica, lidoderm patchs, diclofenac, Tylenol 3, and so on. )

also try the company website or contact number they usally have a program that makes it to where you pay like 15-25 I know lyrica had one earlier this year prob. still do or ask your doctor. they usually carry them and its good for a year.

ok I checked out Lyrica and there website and depending on your situation they may pay for your medication completely. they call it Connection to Care Lyrica will ship a 90 day supply to your doctors office and you would pick it up from there.
here is there page for assistance http://www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com/pages/misc/Default.aspx

I think cymbalta has some program via the "Lilly" website (name of the MFG) that will help you or you can drop the cymbalta and try something else hope this helps.

needssleep replied to cjh1989's response:
I know what you mean! I stoped taking meds for 6 months because i didnt have insurance still dont but back on some of the meds and i have to get them 1 time a week witch can be a pain but when your in pain i deal with it

JMPost2nd replied to gdsjoy's response:
My co-pay for it is $90.00!! Thanks for thinking of me.

gdsjoy replied to cjh1989's response:
Wow! That sounds fantastic. Thanks for the ideas. I wonder if I can take the vicoprofen along with Lyrica just as needed. Something that I can take just for going on walks until it stops hurting so bad.

gdsjoy replied to JMPost2nd's response:
Yeah, it's really expensive.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
189 of 206 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.