Skip to content
Hello, I'm new
bamprice posted:
Hello. I'm new to the discussions, and I would like to hear from some of you. I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (yet), but I really think I have it. I started having pain about a month ago. It is in my feet (feels like I am walking on rocks-very sore), knees (inside of knees very sore and stiff), elbows sore and stiff, hips, thighs, shoulders, feet and ankles swell daily. I have trouble sleeping also. My regular doctor prescribed an arthritis medicine for pain for now, and I am supposed to see a rheumatologist next month. I have never had pain like this before. Family is supportive, but they don't know what this feels like. Again, I would like some feedback from some of you. Does this sound like fibromyalgia?

sp2001 responded:
Hi there & welcome =)All over pain and fatigue are common symptoms with Fibromyalgia. That's good that your going to see a Rheumatologist. He/She will be able to figure out what's going on. I'm sorry your in pain, your definitely not alone there =(

What helped me finally get a diagnosis was keeping track of all my pain, symptoms and fatigue. By doing this, you can be absolutely clear with your Dr. Good luck, and hope you feel better soon!

jillydawn replied to sp2001's response:
I haven't been diagnosed either, but feel I have fibromyalgia too. I haven an appointment in November with a rheumatologist and hope to get some answers. I currently am on pain management due to chronic back/neck issues, but what I'm taking isn't helping other pains, stiffness, exhaustion.

I am using a prescription cream called Voltaren for muscle pain. It helps quite a bit to give some relief (albeit temporary).

Keeping track of symptoms has always helped me in my ongoing journey with numerous doctors. While I have support at home, it's difficult to get across to my family how miserable I feel on a daily basis. I have learned to cope through years of pain and know how hard it is each day.

xperky responded:
Hi bamprice.

Sorry you are going through this process, but glad you are heading in the right direction by going to a rheumatologist next month. Like the others have said, keep good notes with specific symptoms, when and where they bother you. I've also had a doctor appreciate phone pics of my worst swelling. Be patient, as the diagnosing process can go on a while!

Soft hugs to you.
With Compassion,
Margaret

sp2001 replied to jillydawn's response:
Hi jillydawn

Definitely keep track of all your symptoms, it helps with a diagnosis. (worked for me.... finally)

I hear you about family, some of my family members are wonderful and supportive. Some don't seem to "get it". Or don't WANT to get it. Ya know? Glad your posting here, I've found lots of support and advice, it means a lot!

Hopefully your appt. in November will get you some answers.
*hugs*

katmandulou responded:
Hi bamprice and jillydon - Welcome!

I'm sorry you're here, but I'm glad you found us. FM is a "syndrome of elimination" - your doc has to eliminate a bunch of other stuff before you get a diagnosis. There is no test, other than the 18-points of pain, to diagnose FM. Please be patient with your docs, especially the new rheumy, and trust their judgement.

You'll find a lot of good resources in the right-hand column. When you scour the 'net looking for info, please stick with the medical-related sites - hospitals, webmd, non-profit support orgs and the like. You'll get your best info there. And remember that what works for one of us won't work for others, whether it's meds or exercise. (I do yoga, and others can't even think about it; it makes me feel better!)

Keeping track of not only your pain but what you were doing before is a big help. Maybe your knee hurts because you tripped over the dog and whacked it on the sofa, or your hips hurt after you went grocery shopping. It helps the doc to see what's going on.

DO come back and visit, chat with us, let us know how you're doing. We've been there, and love to share! Have the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

dollbug responded:
Welcome bramprice and jillydawn..MiMi in NC..glad that you both found this unique FM support group..you will find that there are many sites out there but not normally one where there are 2 doctors on board to answer questions and share info with the FMers..we are truly blessed to have Dr. P and Dr. Margaret..(see the top right hand corner) you can see some of their posts by clicking on their user names..they have some very interesting and valuable info out there..they will also answer any questions..just put their names on the subject line of your post and they will get back to you with their replys.

Sorry that you are having so many issues...but it seems like this is common for people who have FM and Chronic Fatigue..and it does take a trial and error process to find the right combination of *tools* that will help you cope better..there are no quick fixes or magic pills that I am aware of..but there are all sorts of good things that you can try..everything takes a process though..and since we are all different what helps one FMer may or may not help you..so hang in there and I am sure that soon you will find just what you need to see an improvement.

Vitamin D..please speak to your doctor about having your Vitamin D level checked, if you have not already done so..some time back when I first got sick I had several health issues and while we had to get to the root of each issue..one of the surgeons that I went to seemed to think that a lot of my pain was due to my Vitamin D being so low..(it wasn't my entire issue but it did make a difference I am now sure).

It took me a very long time to finally get the Vitamin D level back up within the *normal range* of what it should be..and when I did I could certainly tell a difference in my pain level..low Vitamin D can cause some of us to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well..(according to the medical researchers).

Getting enough sleep is also a very important factor for us FMers too..less sleep for me created more pain..and it became a vicious cycle to deal with..so try to find something that will allow you to get enough sleep each and every night.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements..I tried several different medications in the beginning trying to find something that would help me..I was unable to find anything which helped me enough without causing side effects..and I felt like, at the time, I did not need another *issue* to deal with.

So I finally did my own research and found the right combination of vitamins and supplements and other things which worked for me..this too was a very long process..

I also want to tell you that a person should allow at least 6-8 weeks of doing whatever you decide to try before making a decision as to whether or not it is working..it takes this long for your body to get the full potential of how it affects the body..

I now take Fibro Response or Magnesium Malate (both found at vitamin store)..I have found that I can alternate between the 2 and get good results..I also take Super B Complex, Calcium, a good multi with extra D, Omegas, and a probiotic..plus others as I have other health issues..I drink plenty of water each and every day..for the most part I only drink water..I also watch what I eat..I do gentle exercises and stretches every day..and keep moving..I also try to keep myself on some sort of schedule..going to bed and getting up around the same time every day and night..eating around the same time each day..and I have found just how important it is to PACE, pace and pace even more..it is not worth trying to do everything at one time..this took a long time for me to learn..we, FMers, must learn how to *control* what happens to us..and figure out how to make it better.

I also have chronic fatigue...and I am still looking for something that will help me with it...so far I have not found it.

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

jillydawn replied to dollbug's response:
Thank you all for the words of comfort and wisdom. I'm coming to the conclusion something is wrong, as I should be feeling better by now. I had a very large low back surgery in December and should be on the road to recovery. I know it takes at least a year to recover from major surgery, but my symptoms have been going on for longer than that now. I just reconized recently that these have to be indicative of something else wrong.

I do take vitamin d, but am going to get it re-checked again as my doctor reduced the amount to 3 times a week awhile ago. Other vitamin supplements are ones I will also look into. Pain medication just doesn't cut it. I also am going to pay more attention to my schedule, food I eat and actvitiy. Sitting all day long makes me worse, so I am going to have to look into ways to help my physical pain.

This seems like such a good support site. I go on another site for support with my back issues and just knowing others are out there helps so very much. Thank you.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.