Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is massage helpful or harmful?
mainegirl62 posted:
Hello everyone. I've had Fibro for almost 35 yrs. I've been getting massages but I'm so sore 2 to 3 days later should he just be giving me relaxing or is deep tissue too much for me. I've also had 2 back surgeries that failed and caused my muscle tissue have weakend and disappeared from the site of surgery L3,4,5. Please tell me what to do with the massage situation. Thank you, I'm trying to be in less pain not more. Again I thank you. Sincerely, Kelly J. Bartlett

Take the Poll

Please help with all the questions.? Helloooooooooooo
  • Is massage the best thing for Fibromyalgia???
  • Please help!!!
  • Failed Spinal Fusion
  • No meds please
  • Natural Healing Please
vote
View Poll Results

Teelady1 responded:
I get massages every 3-4 weeks. They are gentle relaxing massages. I will sometimes feel a little sore the next day - but not after all of my massage sessions. You might want to discuss your soreness with your massage therapist. Sounds like the deep tissue technique is too hard on you.

foreversore responded:
I have been afraid to try massage. In addition to fibro I have numerous bulging discs and my trapezius muscles have been rock hard for 3 years. I'm afraid that massage will make things worse. Plus I have seen 8 different doctors over the last 3 years and none have reccommended it but they haven't said no either its more of a do at your own risk sort of thing.

mainegirl62 replied to foreversore's response:
Hi forever, As a former fitness instructor I know that massage will for sure help massage you. I'm the one who has fibro, arthritis,and the failed spinal fusion. Your muscles are so tight there is no blood getting into the tissue to heal it. Talk to your doctor, have him feel your traps, i cant imagine them not suggesting massage. For me , I think the deep tissue is a little too much. . For you , light swedish would benefit you in many ways. Be sure to stretch a lot. Lipoc acid gets stuck in muscles and causes a lot of pain, the only way to get it out is to stretch. Good luck. God bless. Kelly Mainegirl

booch007 responded:
I often use massage to buy time to my shots. Sometimes they loosen me up to "the best" but sometimes she gets me into more trouble and I have my headaches.

It is a crap shoot, one thing I will always do is make it a CHAIR MASSAGE. Laying on the table right away is a no no for me. My muscles need gravity with them. I am so not better if on a table and they try so hard to get me there...

In the chair I am in allignment and my neck has to be just right in the holder. Brisk efflurage swipes down the back trapezius to get things moving and then the neck and shoulders to end. A bit of stretch of the side scalene muscles and I am much more mobile when I leave. I drink PLENTY of water to help flush anything released from the tissues and if "just not right" I use a heating pad to continue therapy when i get home.

I have used about 5 people to do this and the one I have now IS THE ONE......firm but not a killer! YIKES. As we look for the fit of a doctor, so must you have a fit for the therapist you choose.......actually the person doing this now is in the nail spa I go to. She is better then the licensed triggerpoint therapist I saw......little was accomplished with him other then activating my zones....the efflurage (large sweep motions) is just what I NEED.

Good luck and you will find the pace and type and person for you, I know it. Nancy B

mainegirl62 replied to booch007's response:
Thank you for your reply. I'm thinking that a relaxing massage is better than the deep tissue. Have a nice day and good luck with being pain free. Kelly

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.