Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it really Fibro?
kbear10_99 posted:
Hi all. I am 39 and was diagnosed with Fibro last year. I had severe RA between the ages of 3 and 14 when it went in remission. Symptoms of RA came back when I was in my mid 20's.

I had a a disc fusion on my neck 7 years ago and was good for a few years, but when the pain came back it seemed to consume my whole body. I felt like a hypochondriac, didn't even want to admit when I was in pain because I felt like I was loosing my mind. No Way could by body hurt like this all over and then change spots every week or so.

Also when diagnosed with Fibro the Dr said my blood work didn't show RA. I have been on Cymbalta since diagnosed and have to have Restoril to get any sleep. Most days I push thru and get what I got to get done but there is always more I want to do and just don't have the energy or ability to push thru the pain to get it done. I feel sometimes that maybe I've just turned sorry and lazy maybe it is all in my mind and know others probably feel the same about me too.

I don't want to turn into a pill head so my question is from other people dealing with Fibro is.......Is there home remedies, tricks, old wives tales that work to help manage my pain and stiffness?

Do you know if Fibro is often misdiagnosed and it could be something else that I need to be checking into?

My feet and hands fall asleep quite often, Should my Dr's be checking me for blood clots/flow?

jennagale76 responded:
There are a few 'natural' things I use for pain. Heating pads, hot jacuzzi or regular bath. I get my husband to rub 'knots' out, then apply heat and rest. I pay attention to my posture because I have always been a sloucher, and it really helps a lot if I pay attention and use correct posture. Muscle rubs helps sometimes. (not natural but not a med either- Yoga helps me more than anything. It's not hard to learn and really truely helps.
Another thing I do is 'baby' myself~ at the end of the day I'll get as comfortable as possible, drink some hot tea with my feet up, and read a book or watch a favorite show or movie. Sometimes I soak my feet in hot water with some tea tree oil or olive oil, epson salt, or some scented oils. Just taking time for myself is very relaxing, and makes my whold body more relaxed and less painful.
My hands and feet fall asleep a lot too, and burn. I use these little slippers I have called Hot Sox, that are full of some kind of seeds that you can either microwave or freeze. When my feet are burning the cold really helps.
These things in no way keeps my pain manageable, I do have to take pain meds and/or muscle relaxers sometimes too. I understand about not wanting to be a pill head, so I try to take as few as possible, and these things help me do that.
Good luck, and hope you figure out what works best for you soon.
Jen

Crando responded:
Sounds like you are feeling a bit guilty about being ill with fibro. "You don't look sick", they say. Or 'What the heck is fibromyalgia? Ive never heard of that."
You also sound like you're in denial. No one wants to be sick, or feel like you cna't do what youu once did.
I have had fibro for about 20-25 yrs but was only offivially diagnosed in 1999. I hurt but never knew why.
I was tested for arthritis multiple times and was frustratingly given a clean bill of health.
The question became,"Then why do I hurt all the time?"
It is commendable that you don't want to become a 'pill head" but you must over come that. There are things that can ease your pain. Discuss that with your doc.
I literally have to push myself to get through the day and am reaching the point"finally" that I owe no one any explanations and that my comfort comes first. That may sound selfish, but you'll get there eventually. Hope this helps a bit.
Crando

xperky responded:
Seems like RA and FM come together too often. It's a rough combo!

I hope your RA remains in remission. I was reading that RA can cause tendon inflammation which can in turn cause hand/foot numbness. I would bring up the numbness at your next appointment. I hope you have a good Rheumatologist to check you once in a while, given your history.

I was diagnosed with FM first, then RA over a year later, when it became more active. I do seem to have symptoms of both. These are just the labels. It's your comfort and good health that matters.

Be patient. In the meantime there are lots of tips here on the side bars and in the discussions. You aren't lazy, you have FM!
With Compassion,
Margaret

kbear10_99 replied to xperky's response:
Thanks All, Guess I have been feeling a lil guilty and not being able to come to terms with it, I have had different aches and pains in the past 10 years for minor periods of time but this year my body just seems to be breaking down all over with no rhyme or reason and there's always been a reasonable explanation. Figuring out with Fm though there is no rhyme or reason to it.

@ jennagale76 I already most of what you mentioned but I will have to try out the Hot Sox and the Yoga. Thanks

@ Crando, Thanks it does help just knowing I'm not Crazy and that there is other people out there that understands what I'm going thru.

@ xperky I hope the RA stays in remission too but today, I don't know if it is the RA or the FM feels more like joints in my feet and knees that hurts like crazy rather than nerve and muscles. I will definitely bring that up at my next visit.

sp2001 replied to kbear10_99's response:
Hi there & welcome I'm also newly diagnosed with FM, but realize that I've had it since my teens. I was just going through the same thing regarding the diagnosis though. I had a post titled "Hard time accepting diagnosis". Everyone here is great, lots of tips, advice and support.

Just wanted to let you know your not alone in questioning the dx. *hugs*
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sht! What a ride!' ~Hunter S. Thompson

katmandulou responded:
Hi kbear10_99, and welcome!

This is just a short note for you. There are some good resources in the right-hand column. Also check out http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ . There are some good tips for us, and you have to check out The Spoon Theory - it will help people understand what it's like to be in your body.

Have your doc check you for Vitamin D deficiency. Sounds simple, but we who live in the northern hemisphere are usually lacking in D.

Have the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

cjh1989 responded:
I don't think you would be a pill head because well pill heads don't talk like that, that is how I thought but now I know it's not about that its about being pain free and living life.

that being said consider getting a script for a TENS UNIT(be very careful not to turn it up to high with fibro or on the wrong area could do more harm since you have fibro but worth the money if you can, maybe physical therapy (didn't help me, helped better learning at home things I could do) not really natural but may help I have heard others speak of vitamin D, getting it checked and take OTC vitamin D pills or equal if you don't like pills. I would consult others and/or doctor about adding vitamin D because you never know.
and I don't want to repeat others so just see there comments.
besides I also have to agree, don't be in denial or let others make you think "you don't look sick" and feel like a "pill popper" your not addicted nor the chances of you becoming a "pill popper" are high stats show 0.05-0.50% of chronic pain pain patients are actually addicted to there meds thats 1 of 200 extremely low, not that im saying hey go take pills but don't be afraid to try and relief your pain other ways (if needed) if other methods aren't working. try not to feel guilty, seriously believe it or not it will cause stress and you will be in more pain and have more symptoms.

I don't think blood clots maybe blood flow fibromyaliga and it happens to me all the time, also in my elbow area.
now if your hands turn RED and HOT and sometimes PAINFUL it could be, but it also could be something completely different. if your nervous get it checked out so you don't worry forever remember more stress=more pain

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
363 of 390 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.