Skip to content
Question for Dr. P
foreversore posted:
Is it just me or is there any correlation between a fibro flare and the immune system? It seems like a day or so after I start to flare I end up with either sinusitis, otitis media (always bilaterally), bronchitis or pharyngitis (I used to get strep until my tonsills were removed) and some times all of them all at once. Is my body sensing the bug and that's what triggers the flare or does the flare lower my immune system and make me more susceptible to bacterial/viral infections?

annette030 responded:
I think this is variable depending on the person you talk to. I have FMS and rarely get any viral/bacterial illnesses. So, for me, there seems to be no connection between FMS and my immune system.

Differing amounts of activities cause flares with me, or not sleeping enough (less than 5 hours).

Take care, Annette

booch007 responded:
I will chime in here just to say, when I get a bacterial infection the pain my body gives me before I get diagnosed is so high i have needed to go to the ER. Both pneumonias (which were shared from another) gave me bone pain like I had cancer of the bones.

The bronchitis gave me heightened chest muscle pain from the coughing and the myalgia that followed as I faught off the problem.

I work with alot of exposure to people, coming IN with their germs and no matter how much I wash my hands...they share!

So for me I see it the other way aroiund, not a flare and then sick.....I am getting sick and there is an increase in pain sensation and that is my TELL....I watch for where I am in trouble.

Good luck, I am sure we all will hear from Dr P soon........Nancy B

angelswife responded:
I don't know if there's a connection; but I did notice that the day before I got sick this time I felt horrible. I thought it was just a bad flare---I hurt all over and felt exhausted---but the very next day I came down with a flu-like virus. I will have to pay more attention!

Anon_2912 responded:
I rarely catch colds or any sinus issues. I had the flu once about 22yrs ago.

I just have a good immune system I guess.

Sometimes my allergies will act up and that is due to the tempature changing so quickly.

For me there is not any connection.

Anon_10089 replied to Anon_2912's response:
I am also one of those that although I deal with a lot of FM related problems, I fortunately do not get sick often. However, I know that many people with FM seem to have weaker immune systems. This may be where FM and chronic fatigue syndrome overlap.

I believe that many people with CFS get sick often. Maybe research that a little.

fibroruinedmylife responded:
I had my tonsils out at 3, I guess I was having some sort of chronic issue then for them to take them out. I get sinus infections a lot. I have an underactive thyroid which does affect the immune system but I have read somewhere that sinus issues is one of the symptoms of FM. I have had pnuemonia 3 or 4 times over the years. I actually had pnuemonia 2 months ago that started as a sinus infection. I never used to have allergys from plants and flowers and used to love to garden and now every time I go outside the plants and flowers make me very sick so much that climbing ivy, mums & phlox literally make me nauseous and I come back inside and have actually vomited & had the worst migraine the rest of the day and stay nauseous the rest of the night too. This seemed to have started in the last few years when the fibro also has become debilitating and I am only realizing that now as I am replying to you. By the way, have you had your thyroid levels checked?

Anon_40323 replied to booch007's response:
Hi Nancy, I had this experience for the first time just recently. A major flare started at the end of August and I couldn't figure out why, the weather had finally started cooling off and no life stressors that I could think of. After a few days I developed an abscess at the top of my leg, doctor figured it was an ingrown hair that got out of control. The FM flare was my signal that the infection had started, just not big enough to be noticeable yet.

Okay, started the warm treatments and all that, along with an antibiotic. The flare subsided some, but 2 weeks later it came back really bad, with the burning shooting locked-up pains. I'd been off the abscess treatment for long enough that I didn't think of it, was just trying to find some relief for the FM pain.

I was so distracted by the FM pain that I didn't realize that I'd developed oral thrush from the antibiotic! Ugh so disgusting! Once again the FM flare signaled something was going wrong with my body.

Lesson learned. If I flare, start the inspection for a few days.

foreversore responded:
I guess i also wonder too if testing positive for Epstein-Barr meant anything in relation to Fibro. I know it is the virus that causes mono and once you get it you test positive for life. Funny thing is I have NEVER had mono! The closest thing I guess I can think of was a bout of scarlet fever at age 5....

annette030 replied to fibroruinedmylife's response:
Did your parents smoke? I ask because mine did and when my mom heard on the TV that kids who live with smokers have more sore throats and ear infections, she called me right away to apologize. I had my tonsils out in grade school due to the excessive infections I got.

I never had allergies until I moved from Calif./Nev. to Oregon. Now I am much more sympathetic to my spouse's allergies. Apparently, according to my doctor and everyone else up here, it is very common.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to foreversore's response:
According to medical studies they did on young people entering the military about 95% of all people test positive for Mono, and many have no recollection of ever having it.

Take care, Annette

dollbug replied to annette030's response:
Annette, maybe this might be like cancer and people who are exposed to it. I know that when my DH was sick with it the doctor who treated my DH told us that everyone gets exposed to cancer approximately 6 times a year. It depends upon your body though as to whether or not you actually get sick.

I think a lot of things are hiding in us and each time it depends upon what is going on at the time as to whether or not it actually takes hold and forms into an illness. We all know that everyone does not get cancer.

I do know that the older I get and face different health issues the more I learn about things that I had no idea about before now.

The only thing we can do is try to take care of ourselves as good as we can.

Take care.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 replied to dollbug's response:
Mimi I hope you are not thinking that being with someone with cancer can give it to you? I am sure that is not what you are saying.

That the environmental exposure and chemical attacks from the foods we ingest are a challenge to our bodies and can alter cells to mutate into an agressive, vascular claiming, high metabolism problem.........I do believe this. That your immune system being strong and a positive outlook in life and your world (bubble) you live in, will help protect you.

We don't know what starts the process of mutation of these cells other then repeated smoking and exposure to all those chemicals in the cigarrettes....giving lung and bladder issues.
I also feel in a general explanation, my theory is *irritation*....you keep having something irritate a cell it will morph to something else. Like Uterine cancer with the STD's and viruses there.....they know cervical cancer will develop over time.

But you are not catching it...from a person with cancer. OK?

I know you are going to answer me on this....but i just wanted to share my thoughts. Nancy B

dollbug replied to booch007's response:
Nana B.....no I have been married to a cancer survivor now for a very long time....he is actually 20 years as a survivor....as my daughter was 12 and she just turned 32....I would probably not even be here, had cancer been something that a person could *catch*...

My DH fell at work and landed on a truck bumper about a year before he got cancer...He almost lost a leg due to the infection he got from the fall...and it was only a slight pin hole which allowed the bacteria to get into his system. This is when his health issues started....as he had never even had colds...he is a carrier of things...no joke...

The cancer doctor told us that everyone is *exposed* to what may or may not turn into *cancer*...approximately 6 times each year...if everyone got it each time they were exposed, well...a lot of people who have cancer all the time. There is so many *mysteries about so many health issues*....and some of them will probably never be solved....but the medical researchers have indeed come a very long way.

Everything seems to be a long drawn out process...which is so complexed and filled with complications...perhaps little by little someone will eventually figure it all out...but I do not think it will be in our lifetime...

Take care.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.