Skip to content
At What age does Fibromyalgia stop?
Frustratedintennessee posted:
My Dr. says as we get older our fibromyalgia quits. I don't know that I agree with that. My 70 year old aunt has Fibromyalgia and hers is in full motion. So if we live past that does it really stop??? or do they even knoe enough about it to even know that?

georgia888 responded:
Before hearing more definitively from some of our senior members, I'm afraid that your doctor is incorrect on this one.

Although there are a few who have written about remission cases, I think for most of us Fibro will be with us for life.

That being said, emphasis and energy should be directed towards management of the illness.

georgia

1wareaglefan replied to georgia888's response:
I've never heard that one at all. I don't know what basis he has for saying that. Since it's so little understood, why would he think it goes away?

dollbug responded:
Hello....I wish you had asked this doctor just who said this or where he read it....I think that FM quits when our toes turn up....in other words, at our final resting place....I do hope though that I am wrong and that one day I will wake up and the wrath of the dragon will no longer be part of my life....I think we can all hope for this....

I will soon be 10 years younger than your aunt....so perhaps this means that IF we live long enough, *it* might go away....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
I would say it is like my marriage..............

"til death do us part!"*

There is no cure for the chemical misallignment we have gotten ourselves into, at this point just management of the symptoms is available. SO complex a problem. . Sorry.

Maybe he meant...so many other things are out of wack in old age....it is part of the whole and you don't realise FM is in there! I don't know, strange comment from a doctor. Nancy B

Frustratedintennessee responded:
Thanks everyone for your input. My Dr. says he has no elderly patients with FM. I agree with all of you. I thimk it is until death do us part. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

katmandulou responded:
I believe that FM will stay with us til the end, and that anyone who tells me their FM was "cured" actually got the wrong diagnosis.

Docs don't know what causes it, so how can a doc cure it?
Lou

maggiethedoglover responded:
Hi there,

I'm 67 years old and, while I hate to think of myself as elderly, some people might call me that. My fibromyalgia is sort of at a manageable state. If I parcel out the work I do, my flares are somewhat limited. However, every day about an hour or 2 before I am due for my next dose of meds, I start hurting pretty bad and it doesn't get better until about an hour after I take them.

It doesn't seem to me that I have gotten any better. The only thing that has improved is the combination of meds that I am taking.

Sure wish it were true that we could outgrow our fibro, but it just doesn't seem to work that way.

Soft hugs to all,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

deansmimi responded:
I'm almost 80, and my symptoms are still progressing. Right now, I'm probably in the most pain that I've ever been in.
Sorry to burst your bubble. Wish it wasn't so.

Hope everyone has a relaxing evening.

Marie

dollbug responded:
Hello.....
Maybe you should ask the doctor exactly how much older we have to get in order to lose the wrath of the dragon.....I see that there have been several comments made on this....perhaps this doctor decided to just give you some hope.....or maybe he thinks it is *mind over matter*....I know that when my DH had cancer...the doctors told me that winning the battle on cancer was mind over matter....even though they did not give my DH much of a chance to survive...he did though and it has been 20 years since he had it...

If you find out though....please update us on this.

Thanks for sharing....take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Screennamesrdumb responded:
Push for research results in writing. Ask him to show you the results. Encourage more research. I've had fibro since I was a child and it keeps getting worse.

Momandmore responded:
The one thing I'm looking forward to is menopause.

My Fibro symptoms get much, much worse at that time of the month. Mainly fatigue and intense pain for approx 2 days sometimes accompanied by a migraine. It seems that hormones do play a role - although they don't necessarily know what that is.

I know several people with Fibro who have gone through menopause and say their symptoms have improved. They have not completely gone away but they do not experience the monthly pain that menstruation used to bring.

At least it's something.

JEWELERYADDICT responded:
am 60 and have had for 27 yrs. i am published with articles in medical journals though i am only a lay person. i have facilitated a support group for 19 yrs at a local hospital for fibromyalgia patients, total number in our group is over 400. so i feel qualified to say in my extensive experience fibromyalgia DOES NOT get better with age, in almost every case. it sometimes levels off symptom wise but usually tends to get worse. it is very frustrating, i thought by now we would have a bandaid (cure) for it but we dont evan have a 100 percent positive ID on what causes it. for me massage has helped the most. i get it once a week, i dont get deep tissue just a light to medium massage. i can now turn my neck both ways easily tho it still is slightly painfull. same ease of movement for my entire body. please try it, massage DOES NOT hurt or its being done wrong. i wish you good health and relief from pain.

wildyard replied to JEWELERYADDICT's response:
LOL, I hate to be the one to say it, but age will cure our FM. Just as many of you said, when we are old enough to DIE, it will be cured! I am soon to be 66, and although I feel I have found a level of management that is tolerable, I am far from pain free.
Just to second what jeweleryaddict said, I also find massage very helpful.

foreversore replied to Momandmore's response:
I get Depo provera shots even though I had a tubal ligation to put a stop to the absolutely awful painful periods. I wanted a hysterectomy but my OB insists on doing the shots instead. While it has taken away a week to 10 days of absolute agony every month I still feel the same fibro symptoms as always. I wonder if it's because the hormones in the Depo shot are different than menopause hormones....hmmmm gives me something to look forward to.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.