Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
knees and other pains, (OT) well sort of,
Wolfsong452 posted:
ok. knew I had torn rotator cuff, just found out I have 2 tears in my right knee meniscus, inner and outer.

ok, felt something pop in my left knee the other day, got the doctor to send me for an MRI.

OK, got the test results back, today, there is so much going on with my left knee that my PCP said that she highly tought that they'll be wanting to do a complete knee replacement.

sheesh,

now the right knee they what to do the mensicus surgery on it.

what's so funny, is the right knee is the one that's hurting the worst, sitting, sleeping or doing even less. Reason I asked them to check the left knee was that the other day when I got out of bed, something popped in my knee. talk about an ouch! after that, there wasn't really any other problems,

sheesh, torn ACL, bone on bone rubbing, some type of cyst, along with so many other things that I can't begin to remember them all. sheesh,

just now starting to get back on my feet money wise, can't afford to take 'HOW LONG" for a total knee replacement! maybe they'd let me come back to work, after 2 weeks, especially since with my security job, I can stagger the walking patrols.

sheesh,

wonder if I call my lawyer that I had used to try and get SSI to see if maybe I could get a temporary SSI, at least until I've recoveed from both surgeries. hmm, wonder if I can get them to do BOTH KNEES at the same time. Hey, have no family member that could help me, well, guess I could live with one of my sisters both are school bus drivers, it's just that one lives closer than the other.

or better yet, stay at my home, have the nurse or whatever come around and help me daily, and then arrange for transportation for PT, guess I could get my father to take me to that, though I feel I'd wring his neck,

grrrr! fathers!

sometimes!

so what's a body to do!

all of this is on top of my torn rotator cuff,

also my left wrist has been swollen for over a year, finally getting the doctor to do something about it. Going for x-rays next week.

went to the hearing doctor, to have some tests, said my hearing was fine, but he did ask me some questions, that I told him that there were time when know that I had trouble hearing people etc. So he sent me for a CT scan, oh fun! MRI one day, CT scan the next day, now, x-rays coming up for next week!

hearing doctor felt that there might be something dealing with the estashion tube (sp) or something with the sinus, or anyway in that general area, by my ears were clear, no wax build up etc.

feeling like a 90 year old lady,

you know the ortho doctor is going to say, first thing firsts, gotta lose weight!

now that's hard, as when ever I try something, I'm in so much pain the next day it's unbelieveable. Either due to FM or the other problems, or at least all of them mixed up together!

no wonder the pain management doctor is angry with me, his treatment isn't heling much, depression wise pain wise etc.

hey, with all of these other pains going on, no wonder nothing he's doing is really helping!

Wolf

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Wolf,

I'm sorry to hear what you're facing and hope you manage to get what you need so you can proceed.

I encourage you to also post on our (quieter) Knee & Hip Replacement Community as you go forward with both these procedures. You'll get support and insight there on these knee surgeries.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

dollbug responded:
Hello Sharon....I wondered where you had been....MiMi in NC....OMG...you do have a lot going on....so tell me...have you had knee surgery before? I ask you this since you think that you can have both knees done at once....I do not think the doctors will do this...not a good idea, in my own opinion....as it really does take a toll on the body....(or at least it did for me)...

I am so sorry that you are having so much to deal with....it sounds like to me that you should be applying for SSD....don't know how old you are or what is going on with you money wise...but I think you have a long recovery looking at you...

I say this because I also feel some days like I am 90 plus years old....and I have had 4 knee surgeries on the right knee....and my left knee is bad also...and then just recently I have had lower back issues...which they think now might be from my SI joint...it seems like it is always something to deal with.

I do know though that you have to be on SSD for 2 years (I think this is right) before you can get medicare...and who knows what will happen after the election takes place this year...

I hope your doctors can figure something out for you....

Take care and keep us updated...

Good luck..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

jmorr replied to dollbug's response:
good morning wolf
So sorry to hear all your issues. First off, my mother and i have FM and RA. Her RA and FM is so bad that she can barely get out of bed some days. and she has had both rotater cuffs and both knees replaced....dont recommend both at the same time.....one knee at a time and one shoulder at a time. healing wise, she was in the rehab for 1 month. as they did the PT right there at the nursing facility she had to go to after her surgery....And yes, drs will not do both knees at the same time...you need to be able to walk somewhat and the pain of the PT is such that i could hardly watch my mom do her PT cuz i could see how much she hurt.....But, now that her surgeries are over, she is having remicade injections to slow the progression of RA but personally, i dont think its working.....i am trying to nip my stuff in the bud as when she started getting diagnosed with RA it wasnt until she was in so much pain and could barely walk or breathe that she waited to long and the damage was more severe....she started getting treatment in her early 60's. Im 53 and working on mine now. But i guess either way, the body is going to do what its going to do. I think the best medicine is just to stay focused on how to find something that makes you happy.....no matter what that is....mine is my grandbaby.....and i have a supportive family. Do you have insurance? look into nursing facility who will do the PT there so that after surgery you can just be transported. Or maybe your situation is just like mine...you can only do so much and at certain times....seems to be the way of life. Job over health, and money over everything else...well thats another discussion in itself....well good luck with everything....have an awesome day!!!

jmorr responded:
think i posted wrong...my post comes last and i meant to answer you wolf.....instead of dollbugs reply..maybe i just dont know how to post.....hahaha....hopefully that info helps you.....try to have a good day

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jmorr's response:
No worries, Jmorr, I think it's clear your post was intended for Wolfsong. AND, I see, you've since figured out how to respond to the original poster.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

xperky responded:
Wow Wolfsong, you are having so much trouble at once! Sorry to hear that and I hope you can find some sort of short term disability in order to get the surgeries you really need. Otherwise, it's good you do have some family around. You might have to grit your teeth and ask them for help afterall.

Nice to hear from you.
With Compassion,
Margaret

annette030 responded:
If you are in a lot of pain the day after exercising, you are probably doing too much. Really slow it down. Try 2-3 minutes several times a day at first, work up to 30 minutes a day, most days. Only increase your exercise by a minute or two per session once a week. My PM doc years ago told me he was fine with people doing their 30 minutes in several intervals a day. Ten minutes, three times a day sounds possible. He suggested starting off with walking. I have read this over and over since then.

I have lost 50 pounds over 2-3 years, it has worked fine for me. It has not helped with FMS pain, but I do feel generally better. I definitely look better. My knees are in great shape, thank goodness. I cut out 100 calories (a cookie or two, or a piece of bread) per day, and increased my physical activity by an hour a day (over quite a long time).

Do what you can, and don't worry about what you cannot do.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.