Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Depression at night
jlocktardis posted:
Does anyone else notice that they're depression gets worse at night? I'll be okay all day, and then at night when I want to go to bed it just slams me from out of nowhere, and its always at night. Is it just me?

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

There are those who react to the loss of light as a trigger for feeling down. For me I would say if you are alone at night and there are no distractions around..it can make things more "visible" to you.

In my world on the 3rd day off at 3-8pm when the house work has been done and the chores finished, the shopping completed and now i am "finished" and the house is EMPTY. I find myself worn out, body frail and I am frustrated in "just sit" and the emptiness gets me. I notice all my ills and frailties and it can pull me low.

I am always on the distraction kick....a project, a plan and music on in the house, TV going........silence is hard for me. I even talk tot he cat for the companionship she gives!

So, I can relate to evening lows and not an issue in the day when I am up and "doing". It is hard to turn off your head too when low thoughts are biting at you......be inventful.

I have to plan my day when I have function so it is morning for me and out of gas by 3pm or so....and it begins. How I accept the end of the day will be how my head follows. Productive day.....OK, Wasted my time.....not so good.

Good luck, I am sure you are not alone in this. Nancy B

angelswife responded:
It's definitely not just you---I have trouble with that too. I find it's worse once I'm in bed waiting for sleep. Then the brain takes over and UGGGHHH. Life totally sucks and there's nothing left to look forward to. I am here at night more than I care to admit, but I pull myself out of it by making a mental list of everything I'm grateful for. Then I can fall asleep saying thank you instead of life stinks. Hope this helps.

fitzgift replied to angelswife's response:
I like this and I do the same it helps thanks

jlocktardis replied to angelswife's response:
That's it exactly, like when I lay down to go to sleep, it just slams me. Thank you so much.

annette030 replied to jlocktardis's response:
This would happen to me when my son was overseas. I would just repeat to myself all the prayers and poems I had memorized as a child. One after another, over and over. This along with meds, would help me to sleep.

I think once the days distractions are over with, one has the time to think of all the bad things that can happen in life. Keeping my mind busy for a bit longer while I fell asleep helped me.

Take care, Annette

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
It is so easy to lose myself in the darkness when the day winds down and I find myself alone and I guess you might say vulnerable this is the time I meditate and try to divert some peace from my soul into my mind... Not allowing negative thought... but the thoughts of the sunshine that shared my day... or the rain I seldom see in AZ... I love watching the rain... and I love the fresh smell of the world while it rains... I can meditate and see the rainbows of life... Though I may never find my pot of gold I can always appreciate it's beauty...

So I meditate... and find the things I am grateful for and give up thanks... And I am always grateful to finish a day alive and as well as I can be...

I hope maybe this might help you too... It is simple to do... just lie down and breathe deeply in and out... I like to breathe in and say "re" and out and say "lax" "re-lax"... that gets my anxiety lowered and helps me clear my mind so I can think of the pleasant things like the drizzling rain... fishing in a slowly rocking boat... watching the first snow fall... feeling my husbands arms around me... walking in the woods watching the deer...

Then I can see the blessings I still have in my life... like I had a needed hug from my grandchildren today just when I needed it... and my son checked in on me to see how I was and I could tell him not bad... like my meds helped today so my pain was at least tolerable... or I got an hour to myself in the morning to start my day just right...

Sometimes I have to try harder then usual to find the strength in me to make it thru a day... especially when I am lonely for my husband who passed last year... but if I try real hard I can even feel him holding me up... and I am not alone again... I also find strength thru moment by moment acceptance of my life and myself... Finding ways to love this body that hurts so bad and is so riddled with illnesses... I have multiple problems and they aren't easy to deal with... It never fails they are all in combination when I am at my worst... but I keep telling myself what my drs tell me... I am doing everything right and can and will survive for a long time...

So please keep your chin up and find your inner strength and peace... accept yourself... love yourself... and your nights will be better...

I am never alone... I have me...

take care... love... Jan/Dakota

georgia888 replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
You have a good attitude, Jan/Dakota. It's only normal to feel sad with all we have to deal with; we just can't allow ourselves to grieve for too long. If that becomes a problem, then it is time to seek help.

The night time has a way of exacerbating any negatives. Even colds & flus become worse at night. Always having been a morning person, I normally turn in early at night. This allows me to escape those negative night feelings.

Most of us seem to suffer from co-existing conditions. The Fibro alone would be bad but with others added in, it can become brutal.

I was forced to take early retirement as a result of my conditions & taking care of my body has become my full-time job. I'm grateful that so far, the conditions can be managed.

georgia

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
367 of 394 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.