Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia Study
Anon_20839 posted:
Hi to all my fm friends I apologize for the confusing poll I put up. I just realized my post did not appear. I am currently in a study with Dr. William Pridgen and a Virologist with the University of AL. There are 140 people in the study. My MD suggested I go see him. I am very excited about the hope it has given me. The major study starts in 2013 and will include thousands of people. You will NOT have to go through all the testing I did. Your MD will get you in. I was curious how many of you would be willing. That is why I did the poll. For those of you who don't know me, I have had this nightmare for 16 years. I have tried everything! When this opportunity came along, I jumped at the chance. One desperate woman.. Because I signed some type of confidentiality clause, I am not sure how much info I can pass along. If I find out it is ok, I will explain everything. Caprice, can you find out? So sorry for the mix-up earlier.

Beth in AL

annette030 responded:
Your study did come up in a post, but you need to really read the poll results carefully. Only three people responded, two said yes, and one said no. One was me.

Take care, Annette

dollbug responded:
Hello Beth....MiMi in NC...I have participated in studies before...I was in one where I took either a placebo or Ribrose (I think I took the placebo-since I could not feel a difference)...I had to go into the office each month and several times had tests done...(urine and blood) So I am interested in knowing more about this study.

What exactly is the study about? Is it just for local people? Or will other doctors also be participating in other states as well?

I am assuming people would want to know more about this and just how it may or may not work before deciding whether or not to do it....we have people all over the place and I know that I could not/would not drive to Alabama to see a doctor to be in some sort of study.

I do hope that you will soon find something that will help you cope better.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

elizabeth1304 replied to dollbug's response:
Hi MiMi This study is the most hope I have ever had since this nightmare began. The first thing is a simple test to check your esophagus. Second is an invasive surgery to take a biopsy of your esophagus and stomach area. You have to agree to be in this study bc of surgery etc.. Start taking meds after surgery. I will check tomorrow to find out how much info I can disclose. There are 140 of us in study. The next study, nationwide, will not call for surgery etc, bc meds are working and they can continue. I think meds are not disclosed bc people desperate like us would try to get them. Dosage has to be specific for your body. If you are newly diagnosed, much easier to treat. For people like us, he says I will start seeing a minor change in 3 months and major change in 6 months. But guess what, I can already feel a change!!!!! Thank God!!! I only ask in a poll if people were interested bc I know how frustrating it is when we have tried over and over to find help. I would love to tell everything but I don't want to get in trouble and I def don't want to get kicked out of study!!! I can promise you when I was first ask by my doctor if I was interested I said ok I will try but I promise you I was not excited. This doctor did not go out looking for patients but was took patients only on the word of other doctors who had patients that seem to fit what he was looking for. He gives pain meds and you know I have said many times I can't make it without them. I did not mean to write a novel or beat around a bush. I will call and ask if I can disclose or have to wait until 2013 study begins. As you said, some will get placebo and some the real meds. Praying this Will be the cure of this nightmare or whatever name each person has for it!! Take Care! Beth

dollbug replied to elizabeth1304's response:
OK....Beth...this is a FM study....but they had to check your esophagus and stomach area first....really? I guess I am not exactly following you on this.

And you also say that pain meds are provided..so some people will get pain meds and some will get the placebo...interesting study...

I hope you will provide more information about this when and if you can.

I am glad that you can already *feel* the change...I hope that it will continue for you. That will be work your effort...and then when the study is over will you still get to stay on the medicine or what then?

Thanks for sharing...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

elizabeth1304 replied to dollbug's response:
Mimi Pain meds are not a necessary part of study. If a patient does not need them or against them, that is fine. I put that in so if anyone else should read this and they also need pain control, it was ok. The meds for FM are in different families of drugs. I will def send you a message if I am allowed to disclose. Also, in the beginning, I filled out numerous pages concerning my past history.
Beth in AL

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.