Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CFS and Fibro?
1Butterfly82 posted:
I was just wondering if Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia are closely interlinked? or can you have both these conditions and diseases? I have been diagnosed with CFS since 14 and mono and the EBV virus before that and I was in a car accident 2 years ago that really flared my CFS and also created nerve damage on my left side but all the medication for Fibro they have tried on me doesn't work or has horrible side effects on me. I have tried a wide variety of medications and the only thing that has kind of helped is Cymbalta and Clonzapem for my anxiety and tramadol for minor pain but sometimes my pain is so bad I can't get out of bed or if I can, can't do much. Also I have all the symptoms of CFS and am kind of in a bad place right now with dealing with all this because I get sick really easy and for long periods of time. My last bout lasted almost 2 months. Can you help?

jmorr responded:
Hi 1butterfly82
First off let me just say how sorry i am about your health. Its tough some days to not just say "i'm so done". I have FM, a touch of RA and degenerative disc disease, with arthritis in my back and nerve damage as well. My dr just put me on another med for the depression called VIIBRYD and let me tell you, it helps with sleep....prior to being on that, i was on paxil, but it was making me very aggressive and feeling extremly wierd, like out of body experiences...very strange drug so i tapered off of it....I really believe that for me at least, when i get a good nights sleep, my pain is not as bad and i seem to be able to function a little better. I have my good and bad days as well. Sometimes my flare-ups last a few days, other times longer....but i am on hydrocodone 10mg, meloxicam, allupironol and 1 -81mg aspirin a day and 1 -5 mg valium at night as well for sleep. Believe me, it took trial and error to find the right meds...but yes sleep affects all aspects of any illness. Talk to your doc and see what he/she can do for you for your sleep issues and your pain.....I tried all kinds of meds narcotic and non narcotic and yes, ive been through alot of bad side effects as well....So, like i say, its just alot of trial and error.....Good luck with everything and god bless

Anon_408 responded:
Hi, several on here do have CFS and Fibro, I think that can be a common think. Don't quote me, but I believe it is so.

I'm not positive, but there might be some correlation between mono, EBV and FM. I'm thinking that they have statistics or something about how many that had either end up with FM.

MiMi from NC probably knows more about this, she will be on in the morning, more then likely.

You know that you can direct questions to Dr. P also, just put him in the subject line.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, if you can.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.