Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Biggest pet peeve
beeper55 posted:
The fact that I'm so sore I'm having trouble exercising. I am also trying to lose weight. My life has changed so much. I had to retire early because I am my aunt & uncle's POA & Trustee. My uncle just recently passed away & my aunt is living w/me now. Their home is in a different state & I'm in the process of cleaning it out & getting ready to sell the contents & house. It's over an hour drive each way & it's been horrible for my back. And w/winter setting in I'm not looking forward to that either!

foreversore responded:
I understand where you are coming from. I too have been trying to lose weight. I take 3 meds where a side effect is lack of appetite (which is so true) but 1 med that causes weight gain and that one is winning. My rheumy suggested the warm water pool exercise class at my local YMCA. He said it was the only kind of exercise that would be easy on my joints and muscles. i have moderate/severe OA of my entire spine and cartilage deformity in my knees causing hip, knee and ankle arthritis So long car rides are definitely torture and so is a lot of walking. Stress can also worsen your symptoms.

Sorry if I am rambling on. Have you asked your doctor what he/she suggests? i am sure others here on the board will also chime in as well. I hope you are able to find something that is helpful for you.

annette030 replied to foreversore's response:
My doctor was able to reject back surgery due to positive results from a warm water program.

My friend can use a recumbent bicycle because of arthritis and bad knees especially. She also went to a warm water pool therapy class for awhile.

Whatever you do eventually choose, find something that you really enjoy doing, that is the key to following through long term.

Take care, Annette

georgia888 replied to annette030's response:
I, too, have been able to postpone surgery due to the marvels of warm water exercise. I can't speak enough about this form of exercise. Over the years, all the doctors, physical therapists, etc. I visited for my conditions (oa with fibro) all recommended the warm water pools. They were all so right!

Comfort to all.......

georgia

GrannyFibro replied to georgia888's response:
I would love to be able to do warm water exercise, but part of what's stopping me is paying for a Y membership on my fixed income and part is the idea of going out and driving to get there. I'm glad it's working for you!

georgia888 replied to GrannyFibro's response:
Hi GrannyFibro (cute name),
Many health insurance plans offer gym memberships so please look into your plan. Any out-of-pocket cost you may have to pay for this should be tax deductible with a written note from your doctor stating that such pool use is therapeutic for your condition(s).

Driving is a bit of a drawback but one can't have everything. Most areas have Y's scattered around making access convenient for many. There are many like us at these pools & you may even meet someone with whom you could share driving.

The benefits of the warm water exercise make any conveniences well worth the effort.

Best of luck to you!

georgia

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.