Skip to content
New Warnings in Fungal Meningitis Outbreak
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
In addition to the ongoing news about the contaminated steroid shots for the spine...

More patients -- not just those who got steroid shots -- will be getting calls from their doctors warning them they might have a dangerous fungal infection.

The FDA now suspects fungal contamination is possible in all of the supposedly sterile products made by the New England Compounding Pharmacy (NECC) on or after May 21, 2012. People who got shots of any of these medicines -- particularly those given during eye treatments or heart surgery -- are at risk.

Read the full WebMD article about the dangerous Fungal Meningitis outbreak and if you have any questions, be sure to contact your doctor's office.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

An_246564 responded:
Will all pain clinics be required to call all patients or just those that for sure had the cantaminated products? I have had many of them but none recent, but a customer at work had a spinal shot about a month ago, and hasn't been called. So far she feels just fine. any times? she comes in each we and we chat because of our mutual spinal problems.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to An_246564's response:
My understanding is that if anyone was given an injection from the infected lots, they would be called (probably already by now). And it doesn't sound like she's experienced any symptoms so that's good. If in doubt, she could call the pain management clinic.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Littlefox77 responded:
Very scary! I got shots three times for my bursitis at the Veterans hospital in Reno NV. Hope they didn't have the effected ones. What a horrible thing to happen, people have died.
Thanks for your post.
Praying that no one else dies.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.