Skip to content
First Fibro Cold
georgia888 posted:
Good morning All,
I just developed my first cold since being diagnosed with Fibro, which is now going on five years ago.

Obviously, I've been fortunate in that department & along with not having a cold in several years, it's been a good 25 years since I've had the flu. I would easily trade the Fibro for getting the cold/flu several times a year.

I can't believe how very awful a "simple" cold is combined with the Fibro. All my many aches & pains have been severely exacerbated by the cold. I never recall feeling this horrible from a cold prior to the Fibro.

It's a good thing I no longer work, because I would never be able to make it into any job feeling like this. I wasn't even able to go to the gym this morning for my warm water therapy (something I rarely miss).

I'm loading up with lots of warm liquids & what seems to help loosen the congestion best is hot tea with honey (known to absorb mucous), ginger (good for inflammation) & lemon.

Although I can't seem to get warm, I am not running a fever. I'm walking around the house in a hoodie as even my head is cold.

I can now relate to the many stories shared here about having a respiratory virus with Fibro. It's no picnic!

Just before turning in last night, my right ear started to ache. I don't normally take meds but did pop one Tylenol PM & slept like a baby for almost eight hours! I woke up still feeling awful but at least I slept well.

Hope you can all manage to ward off any colds/flu this season.

georgia

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Hi Hun... So sorry the bug monster hit you... other illnesses and the simple cold can exasperate our pain so much... My heart goes out to you... I hope that it isn't a long lasting one... My prayers will be with you...

Try to get plenty of rest and indulge yourself... There is nothing more important then your health and welfare...

take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

foreversore responded:
Hi, Georgia. Sorry that this hit you so hard. The hot tea is a wonderful idea as the warm tea and honey soothe the throat. Another good idea is some warm chicken soup. Home made if you can but if you can't use canned and add a little bit of minced garlic and a fresh chopped basil leaf. My chiropractor (who I can no longer see ) recommended this as basil has antibiotic like properties but in a more natural form. I am also a Vicks vapo rub kind of person. I keep it on hand at all times. Rub some on your upper chest and neck, apply your heating pad and it really helps break up that congestion.

I hope this cold of yours is very short lived and that the flare it put you in to settles down soon. (((hugs)))

dollbug responded:
Hello georgia....I guess you have been doing something right then....if this is the first cold you have had in almost 5 years....as soon as the weather changed it seemed like I started having issues....dry, burning eyes...and sinuses acting up...I take vitamins and supplements but I am still prone to get the allergies...I think mucinex and alka seltzer cold medicine gel helps me the most....I hate feeling like this also....on top of trying to deal with the wrath of the dragon.

Perhaps it is because I am around my grandchildren so much....I know Noah stays sick a lot with colds and coughs...I hope he will out grow this...it seems like he always has a runny nose and a bad cough...

I do hope that you will soon feel better.

Take care....eat some chicken soup...and drink plenty of liquids...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

xperky responded:
Hi Georgia, now is a good time to totally pamper yourself. I had a virus last year, and with FM, it really packed a punch. I think an important thing to remember is to give yourself plenty of time to recover. Try not to overdo it, or you can reverse any progress you make.

I love the herbal tea and chicken soup ideas. I also rely on good ole Vicks Vapo Rub rubbed all over my neck and chest, with a piece of flannel or old cotton scarf on top, at bedtime.

I sure hope your ear stops aching!
With Compassion,
Margaret

georgia888 replied to xperky's response:
Thank you all for your kind words & advice. I'm feeling better today & hope to be back at the pool tomorrow.

I am so grateful for this community. It's important to have something to look forward to & this is one of the tops on my list. My best form of physical therapy is the pool & this web community is my best form of head therapy.

Best wishes,
georgia

dgoodw83 responded:
hope u feel better soon

all hugs go out to u!!!!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.