Skip to content
fibro and malabsorption?
bopper posted:
Hello. I want to address this to Dr. Pellegrino first. Ever since the weather here in MN changed, I've been in constant pain. My chiropractor insists that if we change what I eat, the pain will vanish. I've been on a gluten-free, dairy-free diet and have been through a candida cleanse. Now back to square one. I just started taking magnesium malate out of desperation. It's SO difficult to adhere to these diets and i'm wondering if there really is a connection/cause?

Thank you for your help!!!!

Anon_10089 responded:
I'm not a doctor. I believe diet can help, but does not cure us, unless of course we have something other than FM.

We've talked on this board about people claiming there are "cures". Yes, if you had Celiacs and had pain similar to FM, then cut out all gluten, it would seem you were cured. If you truly have FM, you wouldn't be cured.

I do well on a high protein, very low grain/sugar diet. However, my pain has never vanished.

I find that many non-traditional doctors claim to have the cure for FM. I do highly believe in using non-traditional treatments for better health, but I think you have to take their claims with a grain of salt. Get what you can, but know there also might be other avenues.

I'm sure others will weigh in and in the meantime, I hope you find some way to get relief!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Great topic.

I thought I'd let you know that I'm not sure when Dr. P will have a chance to respond to this. He's got a lot of things needing his attention right now. But I'll gather this up for him and send when he's ready.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

booch007 responded:
Man it is a tough thing to do all these trials of help.

I am also gluten free and need to be the rest of my life. FM/CMP still here...

I also take 250 mg of magnesium a day....help? A bit.

I eat a green antioxidant diet. GREEN IS MEAN.....there is a product called green vibrance that I was to use as well. This doc DID THE MOST FOR ME....this doc lossened the muscles so I was hydrated and was able to stretch for the first time. BUT...is this mess still here yes.

it is so complex, I don't think they will ever figure it out.
I am hopeful for better and better is where I am. With the meds I am on, a massage here and there....my trigger point injections and drinking only water for hydration, not diet chemicals and a green mean diet with meat chicken and fish. I think I am as tuned as I can be.

The transition to this was not easy. He told me I would have withdrawl issues...CRIPES, I called crying saying I have NOTHING TO LIVE FOR. Taking the diet sweetness away from me, no fruits for the main path...I had nothing "fun" and "sweet" in my life. But I was hopeful for the finishline.

We are all so different that it is hard to say what is going to be the path for one or the other. Try it?.....the green diet also helps the candida issues we have. I also take Vit D 2000 a day and just made a normal level after prescription dose. Take Vit B complex for the neuro system......

It took months though to see adifference!

I wish you all the best and may this guy really have a good path for you! nancy B

fibrofran17 replied to booch007's response:
I know for a fact I had all the fibro symptoms as a very young child, I am now 62 and just got diagnosed 2 months ago!!!
Also gut issues All my life, was diagnosed with IBS about 15 years ago, so did the IBS diet and for 13 years and my gut and other symptoms (many over lap with fibro by the way). Well it got so embarrassingly bad 2 years ago a Gastro doc Finally did the upper and lower scopes and biopsy and lo and behold had Celiac all my life, NOT IBS. The IBS diet was killing me. The damage to my nervous system, due to malnutrition for 60 years has been done. So I now have a very very very limited and expensive must do gluten free diet, for past 2 years. Fibro LIVES on......only my gut issues are a little better. Also ladies of all ages, I had horrific periods from day one, back in the day they didn't know about endometriosis which I strongly believe is a Fibro thing (Fibroids!!!) So, having many food allergies, in addition to Calic disease and fibro the only safe thing is water lol. and thats even questionable. I am sorry for sounding negative but I have been misdiagnosed so many times and had so many unnecessary surgeries that I try to let go of the anger and a lifetime of pain and hardship while working very stressful jobs till last year when I just said "I can't do" for the first time in my life. Trust your own knowledge and feelings about YOUR body and Your mind, and remember that doctors are just "practicing" medicine. God bless you all, stay strong in Spirit, whatever that means to you, and find joy, let joy find you every day. Gonna go get a glass of water now lol, fibrofran

booch007 replied to fibrofran17's response:
I think this is where Mimi's words for today can play a role.

It was 60 years to damage your body with malabsorption and dehydration and it will take near 60 to fix it.

I am in this boat with you.....

I am still not healed where a trace of milk can enter the bowel...this is the tip of the villi that is damaged..gluten being the next rung down the fingerlike processes that absorb food in there.

So 10 years of gluten free haven't fixed me but I am better...especially in the bathroom....I rash (like an excema) if I get contaminated.(my immune system speaks...) My body is very telling. I am so careful not to mistake in my day.

I wish you all the best, the path for this is not too bad once you get a routine and accept the goodbyes of the foods you loved. I just went gluten-free shopping (don't do it often...only to hug myself). 56.00! I got pizza's for fridays to come (2) 2 long wedge breads for my DH to make a pannini for me at our store.. two bags of cookies and pasta for soup that I make and a small bag of pretzels.....

SEE they kill ya on price. 8.99 for the 2 pizza crusts. But do you see this is all carb stuff....that is why I don't buy it most of the time, plus the cost. It is not worth it. Just eating simple and by my own hand is safest. We are "naturalist's now!"

Good luck to feel better..........Nancy B

fibrofran17 replied to booch007's response:
Thank you Nancy, it's always mixed emotions when I hear from someone else with the same issues, firstly the "I'm not crazy, my brain is damaged" and then I feel such empathy for you for having to cope, as I do. There is a blog on About.com by Adrienne Allwo that has the best info for fibro out there. Check it out. The symptoms are awesome and she's really up on the research...(I don't know if you have fibro too?) Going gluten free is sooo expensive because we have to take all these vitamins etc to recoup what we can and get things healed, out of pocket. Anyway, you take good care, feel good, later, fibrofran

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
467 of 542 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.