Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Best Exercises for FM
crystallou01 posted:
Hey Everyone! I hope you are all well, but we all truthfully know the answer to that. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to start an exercise regimen? Everytime I start light, even by walking, it ends up to be too much.

foreversore responded:
My rheumy doesn't want me walking for exercise. His advice was to sign up for a warm water exercise class at my local YMCA. The pool and the room are heated and the regimen is light. The heated water helps soothe muscles and being in the water takes pressure off of joints.

booch007 responded:
MOVE.....

WALK.....

It is amazing when I test people that those who just walk* 20 minutes a day or 3 times a week...how much overall body endurance and function they have attained or maintained.

You don't need a gym....a treadmill....videos...

Maybe music in your ears and walking in the fresh air...walking around the mall where there are benches to take a break....(don't bring in your pocket book! I made that mistake and shopped too!) This is for health and not spending money!

I look at everything I do as an exercise..laundry, dishes, bed making..these are all triggers for me and I have to approach them different. I change off the muscle groups I use to get it all done.

Do a lunge when vaccumming...stretch up in the shower. Best thing for us is warm stretches and if it is a good day....take that 20 minute walk. Fast enough that it is hard to have a conversation is a good speed to attain (not in the beginning) just get it into a habit first.

Good luck, nancy B

Anon_10089 replied to booch007's response:
I went to a class once for FM through my medical group. I probably could have taught it, but I did like their approach to exercise.

Start as slow as you need to. Even start with 1 minute of walking through your house. Do that a few days per week (start with more time if you can). Then increase by 1 or 2 minutes. If you flare too badly, go back down to the first step until you can increase. Your mind will be telling you to do more, but this is a great way to start.

I find that walking can flare me up pretty badly. I really like to use ellipticals, even though that means having a gym membership. Swimming is also very good. Even just slowly walking across a pool is very good exercise.

annette030 replied to Anon_10089's response:
A PT I worked with once said when she went into someone's home to start them off, she would ask them to make two trips to the bathroom every time they needed to use it. Then she gradually increased the walking.

Like you said go very slowly, my old PM doctor also said that he would be content if all his patients walked 30 minutes a day, most days. He even said we could break it up into segments, three times a day, 10 minutes each. He suggested starting with three minute segments, three times a day, and adding one minute a day, once a week. He said if one had a flare or got ill, not to take to their bed, but rather, simply start over, but down a couple of levels.

He said to find something that you really like and will keep on doing. I belly dance in front of the TV set to DVDs for an hour a day now. I have lost over 50 pounds now. Slowly but surely.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.