Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Join Me in Welcoming Our New Guest Expert!
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Dana Dailey will be joining us here as a guest expert to share her expertise regarding physical therapy for those of us with Fibromyalgia.

Check our her profile page and join me in saying 'hi!'. I know I'm looking forward to hearing her perspective.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

katmandulou responded:
Welcome Dana!

dollbug responded:
Hello Dana Dailey....and welcome....MiMi in NC...I am sure you will be an asset to all of us FMers...

We have a very unique FM support group here...and some of us are actually oldie goldies...and we can always use some good information.

Looking forward to the discussions.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

angelswife responded:
Welcome, Dana! I am doing PT right now for a broken leg and ankle. I'll definitely be interested in hearing what you have to share! Glad you've joined the FMily.

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Welcome... Can't wait to hear from you... I am always interested in new pt tips... need all I can get lol...

Jan/Dakota

foreversore responded:
Hi, Dana. I would be interested in learning some gentle stretching exercises from you. I currently do a warm water exercise program at the Y recommended by my doctor but I would also like to learn a few things I can do at home to gently stretch and maybe decrease the number of muscle spasms I get.

Dana Dailey, MS, PT responded:
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am excited to be a part of your Fibromyalgia forum and to hear your questions and participate in your discussions. What is your best exercise tip for others with Fibromyalgia?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Dana Dailey, MS, PT's response:
My best tip is to get moving! Find something that works for you. For me, it's light aerobics and now hiking (walking on concrete hurts like heck, but hiking out in the mountains isn't so bad). I can do yoga but it hurts, as does some stretching. But one day I'll try tai chi.

I hope others share their thoughts too. Good to 'see' you here, Dana.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

booch007 replied to Dana Dailey, MS, PT's response:
"Bend and stretch....reach for the stars....stand on tippy toes oh so far!" (romper room 1950's!)

MOVE...well warm and then MOVE. Until you feel the motor running out of gas then pace down to a halt and try to start the motor again!

PT really was a challenge for me Dana I will be honest. The staff never GOT ME. They pushed too hard too fast and I would leave in a mess. Suffering the day after. I have found that in all these years to use each and everything I do as an exercixe and look at the muscle groups I choose to do it is my best medicine.

My grandchildren are weights and I shift them and hold them different each time. I have gained strength as they grow!

I hope you can give us CORE work.. This is the hardest forme. Strengthening the core muscles is my challenge.

Thanks for joining the group I hope you have some real pearls of wisdom to sprinkle in the fmily. Nancy B

Teelady1 replied to Dana Dailey, MS, PT's response:
Welcome, Dana!

I just try to keep moving. I like to walk and as my screen name suggests I like to golf. I usually walk on the golf course (I have a push cart for my clubs). But even the rounds where I ride in a cart, I still get plenty of moving done.

I feel best when I'm moving. I have to remind myself of that on those days when I don't feel well and don't feel like moving.

I have a DVD of Gentle Yoga - which is mostly stretching and breathing exercises for relaxation.

Dana Dailey, MS, PT replied to foreversore's response:
Foreversore,

Thanks so much for your response. I am glad you are doing the warm water exercise - hopefully you are having some fun as well. The pool does make it easier to do exercise.

Here is a link to a stretching program from the Arthritis Program: http://www.arthritis.org/media/AppendixB.pdf

The pdf has some general stretching and strengthening exercises. It is important to remember that you should feel better during and after exercise. Stretching should be mild - I usually have you describe it as small, medium or large stretch and you want to be in the "small" range.

Thanks again,
Dana

Dana Dailey, MS, PT replied to booch007's response:
Booch007,

Great answer about moving! I am sorry your experience was not the best with PT. You sound like a good self therapist.

As to core muscles - I like to think of core muscles as those in your belly, butt, front of the thighs and back of the thighs. One of the first exercises to do for your core is what is called an isometric - tightening the muscle without moving the joint. You have control over the position of your body, your amount of effort and muscle contraction.

These exercises can be done 5 seconds 5 to 10 times. For your abdominals I usually have you buzz like a bee. It can seem a little silly but you will feel your belly working. Your spine should be in a neutral position, laying down, knees bent and feet on the bed. Next is tightening your butt and front of thighs by laying with your knees supported by a pillow and pushing your knees into the pillow. Again, gently. Last is the back of your thigh. Laying down with your knee slightly bent, is is pushing your heel into the bed as if you are trying to take off your shoe.

Again, you should not have any increase pain during or after the exercise. You may want to check with your doctor first before exercise. Please warm up before - 3-5 minutes of walking in the house can warm you up.

Dana

fibroinsd responded:
Welcome...I have been so achy and sore lately...I will look forward to what you have to say...just did some core exercises that you suggested..tightening the buttocks and belly..but did it sitting in my chair..

I have lost 100 pounds in the last year..and I am sure that my doctor will think that would be helpful..and although I am glad to have the weight gone..it has not gotten rid of the fibro..and I am still struggling with that..

I do try to exercise..walking on a treadmill 2-3 times per week..but my knees have been so achy lately, not sure if I am helping or hurting them more. I know I should do warm water exercise, but that isn't really that practical right now...

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.