Skip to content
Balance and coordination issues
foreversore posted:
I have always been "clumsy" or "accident prone" but as I get older (and I'm not even that old yet) it seems to be getting worse. I am constantly bumping into things and tripping and even worse actually falling. I fell about a month ago in my home. I was trying to kick off a pair of mules (shoes) I got one off and when I went to kick the second one off down I went. I twisted/sprained my right ankle that time. Today, leaving my daughter's school, I fell in the parking lot. I went to take a step and my left ankle gave out and rolled under me and I also landed on my right knee. I fell to the right to get off of my left ankle and I fell into the side of a dumpster and managed to shove my elbow into my ribcage and roll my right ankle in the process. I hurt all up and down the whole right side of my body and of course my left ankle hurts.

I have an appt with my rheumy for Monday but I am going to call tomorrow to see if they can squeeze me in. My day time meds do NOT make me drowsy or dizzy its just my natural clumsiness.

I guess what I want to know is, is anyone else "clumsy" like me? Have you noticed it getting worse year after year?
dakotaspirit1957 responded:
I doubt mine can be caused on clumsiness anymore but I was always clumsy... I can remember my Grandmother trying to teach me to walk with a book on my head to teach me some graceful steps lol... I fell as often as the book did lol... She finally gave up as I was as she said "Her lovely clumsy lost soul... But loved anyway..."

The clumsiness did get worse as time went by but now I don't need to be moving to fall over lol... I am the Leaning Tower of Jan... Ready to topple at any given second lol...

So they don't call mine clumsiness anymore but I do know how you feel... I did find if I was thinking of something else when I should have been paying attention to walking I fell and still fall more... I have to not think about that cup of coffee I am about to have before I get there lol...

I hope you feel better soon and the pains of this fall go away soon... Wish there was a magical pill or spell to cure clumsiness... I would send them in your direction... but I doubt I would find them...

Take care... lOVE... jAN/Dakota
dawncostella responded:
Yes. I started falling last year also. I have fallen 4 times in the last 6 months. I have always fallen on my right ankle. But these times I fell on my left ankle, my knee and on my back. I don't know what causes it either. I went to a neurologist and he told me my gate was fine and that I just need to not wear such cute shoes. REALLY!!! I haven't falled in a while...but I do bump into things, fall over and have a lot bruises and bumps. It's very annoying!!!
foreversore replied to dawncostella's response:
Thanks ladies the only remnants left this morning are that my right knee is twice the size of my left one and I have pain on the outside of my right calf. I believe when I see my rheumy on Monday I am going to talk to him about this "clumsiness". It doesn't seem to matter what shoes I wear or even if I am barefoot it still happens.
Weezie6452 responded:
I have definitely become less stable on my feet these past few years. Changing direction is one of my risky moves and I've learned to stop and then turn (usually I remember!)

My physical therapist's site has a class they run periodically on improving balance and coordination, I'm planning to sign up the next time it's offered. Maybe there is something like that in your area.

maggiethedoglover responded:
Hi there,

When I was a little girl, my mother's nickname for me was "clumsovata Chedoha" (spelled phonetically) It is Polish for clumsy oaf but somehow in an endearing manner. So I have always been clumsy.

About 5 years ago, I fell on some ice and broke my left elbow. Since then, I have fallen off ladders, down stairs, walking the dog and tripping over thngs I didn't see. About a month ago, I fell while walking the dog and broke my right elbow. Since then I have fallen 3 times where it was totally unexpected and I went flying! The last time was about 10 days ago. I jammed my right arm under me and hurt that shoulder. I also pulled a muscle directly beneath my left breast. It was very painful for a week but now only when I am getting into or out of bed.

So be very careful friends! DON'T FALL! Watch where you are walking. Light the area as much as possible. If you do fall, I hope it is on a featherbed or a cloud of marshmallows.

Many soft hugs,

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire
foreversore replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
My mom used to jokingly call me "Grace" to note my lack of grace. I saw my rheumy yesterday and he thinks the reason why I am falling so much is because I have discs in my lumbar spine that press on the nerve roots of the nerves to my legs. I have been referred to pain management and he feels that if I get steroid shots in that area that I should fall less. I'm not so sure about that but I guess I will have to wait and see.

Helpful Tips

Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
485 of 560 found this helpful