Skip to content
Balance and coordination issues
foreversore posted:
I have always been "clumsy" or "accident prone" but as I get older (and I'm not even that old yet) it seems to be getting worse. I am constantly bumping into things and tripping and even worse actually falling. I fell about a month ago in my home. I was trying to kick off a pair of mules (shoes) I got one off and when I went to kick the second one off down I went. I twisted/sprained my right ankle that time. Today, leaving my daughter's school, I fell in the parking lot. I went to take a step and my left ankle gave out and rolled under me and I also landed on my right knee. I fell to the right to get off of my left ankle and I fell into the side of a dumpster and managed to shove my elbow into my ribcage and roll my right ankle in the process. I hurt all up and down the whole right side of my body and of course my left ankle hurts.

I have an appt with my rheumy for Monday but I am going to call tomorrow to see if they can squeeze me in. My day time meds do NOT make me drowsy or dizzy its just my natural clumsiness.

I guess what I want to know is, is anyone else "clumsy" like me? Have you noticed it getting worse year after year?

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
I doubt mine can be caused on clumsiness anymore but I was always clumsy... I can remember my Grandmother trying to teach me to walk with a book on my head to teach me some graceful steps lol... I fell as often as the book did lol... She finally gave up as I was as she said "Her lovely clumsy lost soul... But loved anyway..."

The clumsiness did get worse as time went by but now I don't need to be moving to fall over lol... I am the Leaning Tower of Jan... Ready to topple at any given second lol...

So they don't call mine clumsiness anymore but I do know how you feel... I did find if I was thinking of something else when I should have been paying attention to walking I fell and still fall more... I have to not think about that cup of coffee I am about to have before I get there lol...

I hope you feel better soon and the pains of this fall go away soon... Wish there was a magical pill or spell to cure clumsiness... I would send them in your direction... but I doubt I would find them...

Take care... lOVE... jAN/Dakota

dawncostella responded:
Yes. I started falling last year also. I have fallen 4 times in the last 6 months. I have always fallen on my right ankle. But these times I fell on my left ankle, my knee and on my back. I don't know what causes it either. I went to a neurologist and he told me my gate was fine and that I just need to not wear such cute shoes. REALLY!!! I haven't falled in a while...but I do bump into things, fall over and have a lot bruises and bumps. It's very annoying!!!

foreversore replied to dawncostella's response:
Thanks ladies the only remnants left this morning are that my right knee is twice the size of my left one and I have pain on the outside of my right calf. I believe when I see my rheumy on Monday I am going to talk to him about this "clumsiness". It doesn't seem to matter what shoes I wear or even if I am barefoot it still happens.

Weezie6452 responded:
I have definitely become less stable on my feet these past few years. Changing direction is one of my risky moves and I've learned to stop and then turn (usually I remember!)

My physical therapist's site has a class they run periodically on improving balance and coordination, I'm planning to sign up the next time it's offered. Maybe there is something like that in your area.

Lou

maggiethedoglover responded:
Hi there,

When I was a little girl, my mother's nickname for me was "clumsovata Chedoha" (spelled phonetically) It is Polish for clumsy oaf but somehow in an endearing manner. So I have always been clumsy.

About 5 years ago, I fell on some ice and broke my left elbow. Since then, I have fallen off ladders, down stairs, walking the dog and tripping over thngs I didn't see. About a month ago, I fell while walking the dog and broke my right elbow. Since then I have fallen 3 times where it was totally unexpected and I went flying! The last time was about 10 days ago. I jammed my right arm under me and hurt that shoulder. I also pulled a muscle directly beneath my left breast. It was very painful for a week but now only when I am getting into or out of bed.

So be very careful friends! DON'T FALL! Watch where you are walking. Light the area as much as possible. If you do fall, I hope it is on a featherbed or a cloud of marshmallows.

Many soft hugs,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

foreversore replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
My mom used to jokingly call me "Grace" to note my lack of grace. I saw my rheumy yesterday and he thinks the reason why I am falling so much is because I have discs in my lumbar spine that press on the nerve roots of the nerves to my legs. I have been referred to pain management and he feels that if I get steroid shots in that area that I should fall less. I'm not so sure about that but I guess I will have to wait and see.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.