Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Halloween
csshughes posted:
Does anyone have some pain-saving tips (besides medications) to help with Halloween activities? I carved pumpkins for the three children in my house (I would say with but they didn't help much haha) and the next morning I couldn't even change my clothes! My arms and hands were hurting so bad all I could do was cry and rub them together gently.... Then the next day, I walked through the haunted house I volunteer at (which covers a whole city block) and the next day I had the worst muscle spasms in my back!!! I plan on taking at LEAST one child trick-or-treating this Halloween and I just wanted to know how to go about this WITHOUT ending up in bed for two days after....

Thanks guys!
-Cassie

foreversore responded:
This is a very hard time of year for all of us with the cold seeping in and the extra activities don't seem to help matters any. This is the first year in 16 years that I won't have to take a child trick or treating as my 10 yr old will be going with her dad and younger siblings. But for the 16 years I did do all of the Halloween activities these were my tricks.

1. Dress warmly in layers if you can. I would also wear a scarf and earmuffs as I get an ear ache when my ears get cold. Gloves don't hurt either.

2. Take along a wagon. I had a Little Tykes one that I used. You can use it to carry incidentals and it gives you a place to sit if you need a break. One of those incidentals was always a thermos of something hot/warm to drink to help warm you from the inside. Also, listen to your body. Sit if you need to sit.

3. When you get home and you get your little ones squared away for the night a nice long hot bath or shower helps loosen you up a bit. Johnson and Johnson makes a mentholated body wash for babies who are congested, it is also soothing to the muscles or you can use Icy Hot or something similar when you get out of the bath/shower. If you have someone who can help you apply it even better.

4. I know you said no pills...but this supplement can be very helpful (check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure it won't interfere with your regular meds) it's called Myocalm PM it's made by Metagenics. Its Calcium, Magnesium and Valerian root. It will help relax muscles and help you sleep. Also, heating pads on sore spots or an electric blanket for all over soreness is also helpful.

I hope these tricks help you. They may not prevent all of the excess pain, spasms and stiffness but it does help a great deal. Good Luck and Happy Halloween

Weezie6452 responded:
You might want to try using those stick on Thermacare heaters. I use the "neck" size on my lower back, upper back across the shoulder blades, around or across a thigh, draped over a shoulder, or wherever I'm hurting.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.