Skip to content
Appt with pain clinic
slovene54 posted:
So I've been having issues with my regular Dr being able to understand and help me with my Fibro. I was diagnosed a few months ago. I finally got referred to the pain clinic. Not sure what to expect. Does anyone know what to expect? Thanks for any input!

Weezie6452 responded:
That is good news for you. Do you know what kind of physicians and other practitioners are at the clinic? That will make a difference in what types of options they'll have available for you. I don't remember if you've said anything about working with a rheumatologist, but some people like them a lot.

foreversore responded:
My rheumy just referred me to a pain clinic today so I too am wondering what I should expect.

An_244127 replied to foreversore's response:
Well I hope both of you have better luck with the pain clinics and hopefully they will be a comprehensive pain program that offers more than just injections (if that is all they do, I would leave). I have been with my pain mgnt dr for 2 1/2 yrs now and I am very happy with her. After many years of being blown off by other doctors, I finally have a good fit here. Pain mgnt is not for everyone though, be honest with the doctor, make sure you are aware if you are put on a narcotic, you will have to sign a lengthy pain contract and take a drug urine test. I think the best advice is to go in with an open mind, do not ask for any meds by name and tell them how much your life is affected by your pain. I hope it works out for both of you. Good Luck.

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
My first question to any dr I am going to go to is do they believe in and treat FM... I then set up the appointment or find one that does... Even my cardiologist now believes in it... My first one didn't... and I have a team of Dr's and they all were asked the same before they joined the team... I find it hard to treat many illnesses at the same time yet alone when one or two Dr's are fighting or not acknowledging a diagnosis... My pain management Drs... and I went thru a few... couldn't understand why I couldn't become pain free... Now I have one that believes in FM and doesn't expect the miracle of a cure or complete pain relief... I will never see complete pain relief with the illnesses on the rampage in my body... So I like the dr understanding reality...

I am not saying you can't find pain relief... I am just saying to find a dr that faces reality and understands and treats FM... It really helps you deal with the reality we are faced with...

I hope you both are blessed with an understanding... compassionate... and knowledgeable pain management... I make a list of all my symptoms... the ways my pain effects my life... and what I expect out of pain management and my Dr... for instance... to be understood and listened to... to be cared for in an open and warm way... to not be belittled... to be able to ask openly questions about my illnesses and treatments and have answers given me even if they are... "I don't know"... I expect a 2 way street for I know my body and the dr is just getting to know it...

Everyone is different when it comes to this illness... Some don't have any reason why it started and don't have any physical impairments... Some have back problems and it arrives... some have accidents or even childbirth and it arrives... Make sure you are fully treated if you have some problems that cause chronic pain other then FM...

Believe in yourself and your pain no matter if anyone else doesn't... Don't let anyone especially a dr say the pain isn't real or as bad as you say it is...

My ways of cheating all my illnesses is to accept me as I am and them as they are... and accept the life I have one moment at a time... I don't always win the battle and stay on top... but I usually stay ahead and stay within my means to locate the help I need to deal with them... Even if that is just to come here daily and read... and sometimes try to help others...

hope this helps.... ignore me if it doesn't... lol...

take care and good luck...

love... Jan/Dakota

slovene54 replied to Weezie6452's response:
Well I have Kaiser so I'm kinda stuck with what they want to do. I'll have a better idea after appointment hopefully. Haven't worked with a rheumatologist but I will look into it. Thanks!!

slovene54 replied to foreversore's response:
I hope it helps you. I'll let you know how it goes at my appt.

slovene54 replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
Thank you so much! Very helpful!! I have tried and tried to keep a daily journal but too much going on constantly to remember to write things down every two seconds. I wish I could. Seems like it's always pain though. Still trying to find a way to be ok with this dragon. I wish I could not work so I can focus on me a little more. My husband will be going to a day shift soon so hopefully having him home will help a lot. Thanks again!

Weezie6452 replied to slovene54's response:
Hi Slovene, Jan has such good advice about believing in yourself and your pain. It's easier to talk with the docs when you are confident.

There are some good apps for pain/symptom journaling if you have devices for them. If not, it might be easier to set certain times of the day to stop and jot down a few notes. Waking, mid day, early evening, end of day, and bedtime are some examples.

You don't need to note every time for every day, twice a day would be fine. Location of pain, type of pain, trigger, and any remedy is all you need to write down to start. Mine get repetitive so it takes just a minute or two to make the note, then get back to my real life.

This also allows me to not pay attention to the aches, I will focus on them at note time and try to disregard at other times. (Mind games are one of my tools. La la la la, I can't feel you!). After a month you'll have a great record and you'll start using and developing it the way that suits you and your doctors.

That went on longer than I expected, but this journaling has been very helpful to me and my docs. It was the tool that convinced the neurologist of the severity of migraines, and then showed how the treatments were working.

Lou

slovene54 replied to Weezie6452's response:
Thanks!! I got the new webmd app. Need to focus more on it. I've been in the I can't possibly deal with anything more than what is happening right now in my life mood lately. Just got back from Dr. visit. Loved my DR! I did what Jan sugggested and asked the Dr right off her feelings on FM and then she went on for 10 min about studies being done and how she feels about it. She said I have a large number of things working against me. She is putting me on nerontin and then sending me to a pain phsycologist and a physical therapist to learn good stretching techniques. Thanks again for all the great suggestions!!

Weezie6452 replied to slovene54's response:
Oh so good for you! Sounds like you're in a great partnership.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.