Skip to content
A tiny rant with what I hope is a good outcome
foreversore posted:
I went and saw my rheumy today. First let me say I think he is a wonderful doctor and he truly does listen to what I have to say. Today was only my second visit with him. The first visit he diagnosed my FM and gave me meds for that. Today, I showed him the 3 MRI's and an x-ray of the scoliosis, OA and bulging/herniated discs in my neck and back. He is sending me to a pain management clinic for steroid injections. He also thinks that my back is the reason why I keep falling. I have 6 herniated discs in my c-spine and one rubs my spinal cord a tad bit, I have 7 more bulging herniated discs in my t-spine with 2 impinging on the thecal sac and I have 5 more herniated discs in my l-spine with 2 pressing on the nerve roots that lead to the nerves in my legs. The only rant I have about my rheumy is that he pressed and poked on all of these areas and flared them up big time but yet didn't give me ANY pain medication as he wants to leave that up to pain management. The pain level in my neck and back is easily an 8 and I will be up all night because of it. I have already had an EMG of my upper body and it was negative now my rheumy wants my primary care Dr. to order an EMG of my lower body to check for nerve damage so I assume I will be referred to a neurologist for this. I have already seen 2 different spinal surgeons who say that surgery is not an option for me.

My main rant is that 6 different doctors have seen the MRI's for my c & t spine and 4 have seen the x-ray and MRI of my l spine all they have done is throw pills at me and when I return for a recheck and tell them the pills don't work for the pain they just told me they couldn't help me any more. I AM ANGRY THAT IT TOOK 3 YEARS AND 6 DOCTORS TO GET ANYONE TO TREAT ME FOR THIS! On top of all of the spinal pain and all of the pain caused by the falls, I have cartilage deformity in my knees which causes pain in my hips, knees and ankles and FM to boot. My trapezius muscles have been stiff and sore for over 3 years. They start out sore in the morning and get stiffer and stiffer as the day goes on. At one point I was on Flexeril 1 tab 3x's a day. My rheumy has had me take 1 Flexeril tab at bedtime...this does nothing to help these muscles relax so today he increased my dose to 2 Flexeril at bedtime. They don't make me drowsy either but this is all he will give me to help me sleep. The pain keeps me awake until anywhere between 3 and 5 am and then I can fall asleep only because I am utterly exhausted. I sleep from anywhere between 2-12 hours depending on pain and exhaustion and once I am up I will take 1 or 2 naps a day lasting 1-2 hours per nap. Since I use a CPAP machine he told me to ask my primary care for Provigil or Nuvigil to keep me awake during the day. I am afraid that with that medication I will NEVER sleep. I am hoping so much that the shots help with my back pain and reduces the number of falls I have. I also hope it reduces the number of migraines I get as my rheumy thinks the herniations are behind that too.

I am waiting for the clinic to call me and tell me when my appointment is. I am crossing fingers and toes in hopes that they can finally help reduce the awful pain in my back and neck. Does anyone else have experience with these shots? Can you give me a general idea of what to expect?

jillylin responded:
Hi,
I have had the steroid injections in my knees, elbows and feet. The ones in the knees and elbows were just brilliant and gave me nearly a year of relief. The ones in my feet lasted for a day . This is mainly because they could only target one area and it wasn't enough.

I have had sessions with the Pain management team at my local hospital here in the UK and it was well worth my attending. I got so much help and support so I hope you are as lucky.
Hugs
Jilly in the UK

dollbug replied to jillylin's response:
Hello Jilly....MiMi in NC...I wanted to tell you that I have also had the synvisc injections in both knees several times and I got over 2 years with them. The PA would put them in also put injections in both hips and thank goodness the pain went away....she did tell me that the hips were so bad that they had calicified and bubbled when she put the injection in them. I am not sure what kind of injection it was but whatever it was it worked...

I had to have some PT for my feet....and they put some sort of infrared treatments on them which really helped my feet...there are times when I have to soak my feet in epsom salts which also help as well.

Take care...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

dollbug responded:
Hello....MiMi in NC....I was wondering if any of the doctors have suggested putting the device for pain in your back or perhaps doing the laser surgery on you. One would think that there would be something that they could do to relieve your pain...I know that when I was having problems with my right shoulder and right arm the pain was actually due to my neck discs...I had no idea until the MRI was done and they did the cervical surgery on me.

I hope that you will soon find something that will work for you.,

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

An_244127 responded:
Hi, I am sorry your having so much pain in your back and neck. I can relate as I have herniated discs in my neck as well as DDD. I have gone through PT (not much help), and I have a tens unit I use at home. Have you tried a tens unit? It helps some. I do get epidurals done in the neck about once a year (usually 2 or 3 times) for me to get relief in that area. If you get the shot, make sure the doctor who does it is using X-RAY guidance and not blindly sticking the needle into you. You may be sore for a few days afterward before you feel relief and you might need more than one to get any relief at all. I hope it helps you and I wish you luck at the pain clinic.

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Hi Hun... I am so sorry you are going thru this... I too have multiple herniations and bulgings in my back and neck... I too have been told that after my 2 failed back surgeries they don't expect more surgery will help... I too go to a pain management dr... My best advice to you is to make sure they treat you as a whole person... Not just the FM or not just the pain caused from your back... They are both constituent on each other... both play together...

Yes I take pain killers... Mine do not put me to sleep... I don't get high... If you are getting high off a pain med you are taking too much of it... I use tramadol for my FM... It works pretty well.. no I am not pain free... my flares are bad at times and I just have to deal with it with exercise and sometimes hot and sometimes cold... sometimes both... depends on how much inflammation my back and body has... or how much my muscles are spasming...

It isn't an easy road but I have had the shots and have found some relief... yrs ago they would give me relief for almost a yr... once again I was not pain free but it helped so my meds could help me better...

Sometimes even with the shots today I have days nothing helps... Bed is calling me then... but I still exercise infact I increase it... I exercise 4 times a day now and on my bad days more... not for long periods of time but enough to fight off some of the stiffness and muscle spasms that cause some of the pain...

I am hoping to go thru the shots soon in my neck again... I suddenly had a very bad spell hit a few months ago with my neck and shoulders and up my head... Yes migraine village... The meds take care of a lot of my pain in other areas of my body but my pain there doesn't budge... I just went thru another MRI to see if anything new was going on... Maybe the bulging discs have herniated... I hope to find out soon... I only wish I could find a surgeon that would at least fix my neck... the migraines are debilitating... and I have had the shots but the relief only lasts a month or two... And my insurance will only approve so many... not enough for me...

I wish you all the luck in the world and pray you find the relief you need... Just a little mention... My pain from my failed surgeries on my back is much worse then the herniations they operated on... Not having surgery might be a blessing...

take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

foreversore replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
Thank you all for your responses. I was told by both surgeons that surgery would make my pain worse so I am OK with not going that route. I took Vicodin 7.5/750 and Flexeril three times daily for a year and a half and did PT for over 6 months. All with almost no impact on my pain level. I hope in addition to the shots they give me something, anything for breakthrough pain. I don't really care what it is so long as I can function. I want to be able to be hugged with minimal pain and I want to be able to take care of my home and family a little better. And sleep...I want a good restful night's sleep (I know wishful thinking, huh?). I too suffer from chronic migraines. I use my arsenal at home to try to get rid of it but if I still have it after 48 hours I have to go get a shot of Dilaudid. That happens once or twice a year although I can get a migraine once or twice a week. I was told by my rheumy that my spinal fluid may be under pressure due to the herniations and that may be the cause of them. And, yes I am glad that you all know how debilitating those migraines can be. I am looking forward to my first appointment...I know now that I may not feel so hot the first few days but I hope I feel better after that. This is so awful I am still feeling pain from where he pressed on my back yesterday. I really hope they can get me in soon. Pardon the ramble I am feeling extra foggy today probably due to lack of sleep so I am going to go try to get some. All fo you take care and thanks for being there to listen

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.