Skip to content
Overwhelmed and Depressed
cclarke05 posted:
Hello,

I am finding myself feeling very easily overwhelmed, frustrated and depressed these days. I was officially diagnosed about 2 months ago and have just recently started working again since being diagnosed. I find it very difficult to get up and get ready for work in the morning. I can usually pull myself together during the day but often find myself `zoning-out` and feel exhausted and nauseous. I have managed to make it through every shift so far (only 4 shifts a week for 6 1/2 hrs) but by the time I get home I just feel so overwhelmed thinking that I have to do it all over again the next day. Every night when I get home I find myself getting extremely emotional and feel extremely overwhelmed as this is the time when the pain usually sets in the worst. I have battled depression on and off from the past 4 years but lately everything seems so much worse and so hopeless. I'm 22 years old and am planning my wedding to the man of my dreams yet I have never felt so sad and hopeless in my life. I am not sure what to do anymore and really unsure as to how to continue dealing with everyday life as it feels like too much to handle. I would really appreciate and support or advice from those willing to give it!

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....sorry that you are having so much to deal with....MiMi in NC....being 22 is so young to have to deal with FM....I am sure though that you will find something that will help you cope better soon. I do hope you have a good doctor that knows how to treat FM....I also hope that you have gotten your Vitamin D level checked...if not, please speak to the doctor about this...as this is important for a lot of people these days...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I hope you will also check out the info under *tips* and *resources* that you will find to the right of this page...be sure and also read the member toolbox...as there are some good *tools* there that might make you life a bit easier to cope with....it does take a trial and error process to find the right combination of things that might work for you....we are all different and what works for one may or may not help you...only you will know when you have found what will work for you...

The first thing is for you to learn how to pace, pace and pace even more....so very important...and do not over do...everything is a process with dealing with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...

Hang in there and I hope things get better really soon for you.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

An_244127 replied to dollbug's response:
Hello, I would like to say congraluations on your upcoming wedding! I know you are feeling very overwhelmed and depressed about things and maybe talking with a therapist might help? I'm not sure if you are taking any meds to help with the pain and anxiety, but you might want to ask your dr about that. Sometimes a low dose anti-depressant can help with both pain and mood and a muscle relaxer can be helpful. I wish you luck and hope you find relief.

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

I didn't read Mimi's response but I am going to talk from my heart.

Breathe......

Sometimes you push forward and don't know what is wrong and keep searching and then finally you get a label. A name for why you feel so lousy....and you then look up what that means ...and CRAP you can crash*. This is a tough label to have.

You are sure they are right with your diagnosis? More then one opinion?

You are early in this treatment phase, so give it time to be better. IT will be better. You have to still go through the trial and eror of the right meds to help you. It was years before i had it down and felt better. I think too I focused on it more.

I NEVER STOPPED PUSHING OR FIGHTING. Many here have said they feel like they live only to work......this is so at times. It is all I have for that day. Then there are days that are better.

I consider it a wellness window. I am about 8 hours of good function and upbeat activity now...then I putter down. I am 58 y/o and have been at this....tooling this for about 15 years or more. I am a nurse and it came on after hurting myself lifting a patient and I have never been the same since....

You have to learn new tools to use in your life, do things differenly. Look at the world in a positive way and not what you can't do but what you have "magically" found you can do.

Under Dr Pellegrino up to the right are great posts of help as is his books on amazon.com
My bible book that I speak of so much is "FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain"; a survival manual by, Dr Devin Starlanyl and Dr Copeland. Please buy this book. It is a benefit for so much you go through to understand and fix things.

Learning to keep your arms "home" as Dr P states..."butter" BIG on helping with a trigger for a bad night.

You may feel lost right now, but this is the group to help put you back together. We have all had different paths but all share this dysfunction in our bodies. Pain is mind altering and it drags you down and exhausts you................so you need to tend to a few things to help.

Heat is big for most of us, a few use cold....this is where trial and error comes in. Also to the right is the "members toolbox" under resources..it is a link in a Caprice post...you can find it.
I wrote it 4 years ago. I am here on the board 9 years now....WOW I was so lost when I got the label (actually I didn't believe it) and I found this site and here I am. I found by the time I arrived I had most of their tools honed already, but they taught me more.

Memory foam topper for the bed...BIG. Sharon was my lucky angel for that one. The humor on the board then was very high and so welcomed. This is such a great place to start the day and help another and then go off to your life and distract yourself from your ills.

I found for me I medicate in the morning and then I need my muscle relaxant around lunch to be able to get out of the car after work. I walk miles in the office all day and the legs give in..so this is what worked for me. You have work to do to get educated, become your own advocate and get a toolbox put together that works for you. Look in ours.....I tried many of the tools others used and I found some that helped and some not so good. It is a unique problem and each has there fixes.

I wish you well and we are open 24/7...so post often you ARE NEVER ALONE.....share with us what you are already doing to make this work and what is bothering you as a trigger that maybe we have a trick for. Good Luck, Nancy B

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Hi Hun... First... Welcome... We are a family with open arms awaiting you... To share understanding, compassion, and love because of a common bond called FM... Second... Congratulations on the upcoming wedding... and may you soon feel all the blessings and happiness attached to such wonder... and Third... I hope and pray I can say this just right so you can find some immediate relief and look around you and inside you to find comfort, strength, and happiness... Giving you what you need to find a brighter moment at least in today... For today and the moment is all we have... Yesterday is but a memory and tomorrow is our future...

I got sick in my 20's too... 30 years ago... only then FM wasn't really in the picture... I had unexplained chronic pain that actually paralyzed me from the wast down... The Mayo Clinic found RSD but then also said it didn't explain all... And that in 50 years they would lable my illness and in another 50 cure it... Well... I truly believe that they found it when they diagnosed me with FM some 25 yrs later... After the MS diagnosis still didn't cover all that was happening to me... Now they added Parkinson's Disease to cover the rest of my symptoms lol... I hope they can quit now lol...

I remember the depression after each and every diagnosis... A question was answered which was good and a relief for now I can learn about my illness and learn more about me and deal with life better... but I was angry... asked why me Lord... Mourned a lost part of me and my life... Questioned what will happen to me next... And fought back... Just as you are doing by coming here today... You have just made the first step to fighting back... Not so what is happening goes away... but so you can fight to better yourself and find what you need to once again get in touch with your inner strength, peace, and happiness...

When I came here I wasn't depressed... I was suicidal... I was over all these incurable diseases... I was so finished with the pain... I don't even know where I found the strength to reach out... But when I did I was very blessed to find someone messaging me right away... And more and more messages... And they saved my life...

I have come a long way since... I have re-introduced myself to myself... I have found the person who found ways to come back thru 7 cancers and live when they said I had no chance... I came to believe in me again... and believe in the pain that so few wanted to believe in... Wanting to pass it off as my depression... or just being weak and lazy letting my other illnesses over run me... Then I found a few drs who believed in me and my pain... Mainly because I found a way to believe in myself and my pain... I had learned to accept yet another illness... And what it was doing to me and my life...

I too spent yrs pushing people out of my life... Till I met the man of my dreams 15 yrs ago... He helped bring me back to reality... I had cancer when I met him... Was living on morphine shots... And it didn't make me the most pleasant person to be around... It was almost love at first sight... It was the most wonderful support I had ever known... We were married in less then 6 months... I was cancer free... and he passed away last Christmas... But he is definitely the angel that is up there kicking my buns when I need it lol...

My best advice to you is to pick up a piece of paper and start writing... Everything that comes to mind... list your fears... your things that depress you... all your bads... what FM is doing to you... then list all your goods... your blessings... all your strengths and positives... all things that bring a smile to your heart...
{to be continued}

dakotaspirit1957 replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
even the purr of a cat... or the morning sunrise... cup of coffee with a friend... sitting in the arms of the man you love...

Then use this to get to know yourself better... I keep a diary every once in a while... I had a rough time with my manic depression lately and the mania was unrreal highs and deplorable lows... I read it a couple of nights ago for I have memory lapses and don't remember things... I was so shocked to see how low I had gotten and I was so appalled by how I seen things around me... and I was so proud at how strong I had been thru some very tough times... I had done so many thing just right to stay me and deal with the pain of my life...

I don't always read my entries... I sometimes write things and just destroy it... Depends on the need... But sometimes in the search for my inner strength I need a reminder that it is there and it is...

And so is yours... Your inner strength... Your peace... Your happiness is all there and within your reach... Dig deep and believe... Believe in you... Believe in life and what you will always have to offer it... For life may take away my ability to walk but until my Parkinson's Disease swallows me and makes me unable to communicate I will have me to offer... All the unconditional love and compassion and understanding I can give this world... All of me...

I use to dream of being a success and having lots of money and a business to hand down to my kids... Now I am a success for I can touch lives with my story and pain... All of us who live in pain are success stories... No matter what the pain is... Mental or physical or both... To be the best person we can be thru it is all we can ask of ourselves... and by being the best we can be we will believe in ourselves and love ourselves so we can reach out and not shove away...

Love and accept yourself even if you are like me and have to do it moment by moment... look forward to your future with the man of your dreams... And get back into the miracle and happiness only a wedding can provide in our lives... Believe... Accept... Love...

You will find what you need to deal with this disease... It may be incurable but it can be dealt with... When you feel overwhelmed... depressed... just too much pain... latch on to some of my strength... I will share... For the more I share the more I find... Find a reason to smile thru the tears... Feel me hug you when you need one... My cyber hugs don't hurt... none of them do...

Take care... Love Jan/Dakota

cclarke05 responded:
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. Things seem really bad now but all of you are proof that people can make it through the bad times and come out even stronger.

I am currently on Lyrica and have been for about 2 months I am also on Wellbutrin (anti-depressant) and have been for over 2 years. I have never had this much trouble with anxiety before though. Not sure if the fibro pain is making me for more anxious as I think about the future or maybe the medication I am on is bringing our some of these anxious feelings.

I vitamin D levels are ok but I do take supplements for B12, not sure if that could have something to do with the depressed feelings (but I have been on those pills for about 6 months also).

Do any of you find yourselves have head pressure and nausea with Lyrica? It is hard to figure out what pros weigh out the cons when it comes to side effects of medication.

There is just so much to learn. At first I was relieved to have a diagnosis because it meant I could finally start learning about what was happening to my body but now I feel like the label is very daunting.

I am trying to take things one day at a time, I have just started working again and am finding the mornings especially difficult but do feel better when I am out at work interacting with people.

I have a doctors appt tomorrow so hopefully we can sort some more things out with how I am feeling and hopefully get my mood on the mend.

Once again I just want to thank each of you for your beautiful words of support and encouragement. You are all very strong individuals to be able to have such positive emotions through all the pain.

1wareaglefan replied to cclarke05's response:
Hello and welcome! You did get some very thoughtful and great responses. I'm simply going to share with you

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.