Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vitamin D and calcium
medfree posted:
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to ask those of you who are on 50,000 iu's of vitamin D whether you take a calcium supplement too.

My physican recently put me on 50,000 iu's twice a week and she mentioned I shouldn't take my calcium supplement. I asked her why and she told me because it wasn't good for the heart.

I've heard that vitamin D can up your calcium. Maybe I should go off of it for now?

Thanks!

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

Vit D and calcium "talk " to eachother. The calcium needs vit D to be absorbed and utilized that is why it is in milk......

Recent research showed that you absorb too much calcium and it can deposit where you don't want it. I stopped mine too.

I get enough calcium in my diet to be of benefit.

There is some talk of wether or not calcium for osteoporosis is of benefit as well. So much they tell us to do and later see that it really is of no value (like Vit E years ago) or it is harmful.

We now know that VitD is very important to the body. Not a vitamin at all it is actually a hormone when you read the literature.....potent little guy!

Good luck and listen to that doc of yours! Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.