Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia muscle spasms in neck and upper back
An_248953 posted:
Does anyone out there have these problems? Flexeril and Norco do not eradicate them. Any suggestions?

dollbug responded:
Hello.....MiMi in NC...have you tried a heating pad....I use them often for all sorts of ailments...I am now having lower back problems and I have used it for this for several weeks now...it does wonders for me..

Perhaps also taking Advil..(gel is what works for me)...

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
This is my hot area.....I have learned tools to use and I will share them to try.

I use a headed rice pak behind my neck...first I used to use Motrin but now Soma and Tramadol are my choices....I never had relief from flexeril. I sit in a recliner and actually put my hands under my butt to stretch the neck muscles and I fall asleep like that.

The gravity of the recliner helps and the posture helps align the neck with the rice sak. I also think I am conditioned to heat helping the muscle to "stop it".

I also want to say that my massage at the nail place is my greater tool. Did that friday after having to be on the phone from 7:30 to 5pm with insurance companies....
A hot shower helps and washing my hair is a another tool I add if the nap didn't help.

I am a CMP pt, a Chronic Myofascial Pain pt, a cousin of FM. My neck is my nemesis.....I have been diagnosed with trigger points in the neck muscles (scalenes etc) and the Trapezius musle etc of the upper back. I receive trigger point injections at a neurologists to relieve the spasms. IT IS my therapy. Not for the faint of heart...but in 2 days I am in such a better place.

There is a book I talk about all the time maybe it will help you too, FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain, a survival manual; by :Dr Devin Starlanyl and Copeland. 19.99 on Amazon.com.

It is great for anatomy and tools to help fix what really is the cause though you feel the symptom somewhere else.....like my thumb pains come from the forearm and I need to masssage and work that muscle. Though you're driven to splint the thumb......

I hope some of this helped. I couldn't even lay in a bed. The neck would subtley tighten and choke me...hard to breathe....
Thought I had a thyroid issue, asked GI to assess the canals when they scoped me...but when I told neurology CRIPES she got everything and told me why........using her neurology book. I went home and bought her book (2 books in total upper and lower body) I READ that book (dry reading) but it helped me GET IT......Dr Travelle and Simmons wrote this book (worked with President Kennedy for his back amazing stuff)

She laughed when she saw the book all highlighted and underlined...especially when I found a section that I have had so much issue with!

So get educated, try different tools....look under Resources (to the right) for tricks that the fmily uses in the "Members Toolbox". It is a lnk under Caprice (our moderator). So many have shared their help to others there.

Good luck....I ope you find the book as helpful as I did.
All my best, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.