Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
IT'S GETTING WORST!
ladycl786 posted:
I have had FM for a while and I also have a back injury.The problem is that my FM is getting worst. I'm currently on Lyrica for the pain and I'm about to try taking yoga. Does anyone have any other suggestions to deal with this pain?

foreversore responded:
I am so sorry you are going through this and I know all too well how you feel. I have never tried Lyrica so I don't know anything about it. I take Savella and it helps with some of the FM pain but none of the back pain from my spinal OA. I just got a lumbar epidural for the back pain 4 days ago and I am still waiting for some sort of relief. My rheumy has me doing a warm water aerobics class at my local YMCA. The pool and the room are heated so its easier on the body and the water is easier on the joints. I think I am going to call the pain management clinic tomorrow and ask them if I should still be this uncomfortable (and thats putting it mildly).

Dana Dailey, MS, PT responded:
ladycl786,

Pain with fibormyalgia is so variable and can often make other pain, such as back pain from an injury seem to last a little longer. Yoga is an excellent choice for stretching and deep breathing and postural control. It is a great way to learn your strengths and weakness. Talk with your instructor about concerns you have and modify the positions or holds as you need to. You might also consider some other opportunities such as water exercise, Tai Chi, a TENS unit (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), hot pack or cold pack, stabilization exercises, physical therapy and some type of exercise that gets your heart rate and breathing rate elevated - walking, biking, swimming or massage therapy. It is also important that you are sleeping well, eating well and managing your energy and posture. It takes a few tries at different things to find the right combination that works for you. Please let me know if I can help with any of my suggestions.

Dana

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
363 of 390 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.