Skip to content
What Are Your Plans for Thanksgiving?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
When pain and fatigue are part of the picture, big holidays sometimes need to be managed so you can enjoy them as much as possible.

What are your plans?
How do you ensure you pace yourself?
And what are you thankful for this year?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

katmandulou responded:
Balancing my dying graphic design business with my part-time job will be a challenge this holiday season.

We're going to my sister's house for Thanksgiving, I'm bringing dessert. I've become a great pie maker over the years, so it might be custard and/or pumpkin and/or a cherry/apple thing I saw a recipe for and it looked good.

It's mid-Nov and I have a lot of my shopping done - thumb drives for the "older" kids still in school, DH will give bookstore gift certificates. I found some fun felt bags, so wrapping will be easy: put in the present, tie up the drawstring, slap on a tag. NEXT!?!?

I know I'm slated for an 8am-3pm shift on Nov 23. Still don't know what to get DH, but I always find something he doesn't sound disappointed about. I kinda thought I'd have actual work by now, and the thought of struggling for another year is leaving my spent.
Lou

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to katmandulou's response:
I'm so sorry, Lou, to hear about your business and your work issues. ((((softhugs))))

You're way ahead of me in the gift-buying department. AND in the pie-making department. They were never my forte. I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving despite your struggles.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

rudyandirmouse responded:
Hi Caprice, DH and I will be with our Family. This will be the first Thanksgiving in 6 years that we will have all of our daughters and grand children together. Sweet.
since our middle daughter lived in Hawaii the past 6 years it had been impossible for all of our daughters, we have 3, to make the flight over with their families in tow.

So this will be a low key event with No plans to cook. Our middle daughter and her family are driving in from the west coast to Nashville on Wed evening or Thursday morning and can only stay with us a few hours before heading east to get the keys to their rental home from the realtor in time for a Friday evening check in. DSIL in now being based near Camp Le June, NC and needs to get there in time to get the rental home before the realtor's office closes.

We will find a nice restaurant and have a meal there. Nice for me as I don't have to: buy the meal, cook or clean up after it. A blessing in of itself.

Have a blessed Thanksgivng Caprice..Gentle Hugs, Linda R

dollbug responded:
Hello Caprice....MiMi in NC....as always, we will have our Thanksgiving at home....it is a tradition....DH and I always cook and have a meal together. My daughter will be gone, as they always visit some of my son in law's relatives....I am fine with this since I can see them anytime....and they come for lunch most Sundays....this has always been a tradition also....I try to fix something for them. This started when I got married, many years ago. We always had lunch at my in laws house...my husband comes from a rather large family...5 boys 3 girls...(there are now only 2 boys left and the 3 girls)...

We have just the traditional Thanksgiving dinner...turkey and homemade dressing, giblet gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, broccoli casserole, cream potatoes, deviled eggs and of course dessert....I normally fix pumpkin pies and no name pie (for my older son who loves this)....this meal might vary a little bit, but not much, for the most part. Each year it gets harder to do...it takes a lot of work for just one meal...I am glad that it is only 1 time a year though.

I am so thankful for so much. This year I am thankful that the election is over with. I am thankful that I have a place to live and food to eat....some people do not have this. I only wish that there was more that I could do to help those who need help. I am only one person and since I no longer work, I have very limited funds to actually do anything much.

I am thankful for being a part of this support group. I have learned a lot here and I try to give back just a bit of what I have learned along the way.

I will try to remember to pace, pace and pace even more...as I know what happens when I forget. I do what I can ahead of time.

I hope everyone will have a good one.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

fibroinsd responded:
For the first time ever, we are going out to eat for Thanksgiving Day. My sister and her bf will be down for the day...and my mom and dad, me, DH, oldest son and daughter. I will be missing my middle child...now a grown up..My dad wanted to go out to this buffet last year, but DH insisted on cooking..so I told Dad we could go this year if he was up to it. So we will go there..then the next day my sister will go back up to Northern California..and we will be here.

I told DH he could cook a traditional Turkey dinner on Sunday..and we will have our dinner then..not sure yet, who all will be there.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Caprice, I assume you have had your Canadian Thanksgiving. I sort of wish we would move ours up to be with yours..and then the holidays wouldn't be so close together. Anyway, Caprice, whatever you are doing next week, I hope you have a good week.

Talking of pacing..I have always made my sister a tart apple pie..it is the only dessert she will eat..Last year I said, I thought it would be the last year I made it..It has just gotten too hard to do..and now, I am trying to decide if I am up to making one for her, so that she has some pie when she gets here...I would love to do it...just not sure if I am up to it.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
I'm so glad you'll all be able to be together for a few hours, Linda! It's going to be very special for you.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to dollbug's response:
Hi MiMi,

Remind me what 'no name pie' is....?

I hope others around you can help with some of the dinner and clean up. That sounds like a LOT.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to fibroinsd's response:
I had a wonderful Thanksgiving in October, thanks Cece. Next week I'll be covering things here on WebMD so the other mods can really enjoy their own Thanksgiving. (Sometimes I've celebrated both the Canadian and American, depending on the people around me but I'm taking it easier this year.)

I hope you enjoy your two Thanksgivings! And I hope maybe you can locate a tart apple pie to purchase so you can give your sister a taste without all that work.

mnjeepguy responded:
Ours will be at the wife's sister's house this year. It is only about 9 miles from home. It will be just their family and ours, simple, quiet, and relaxing.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to mnjeepguy's response:
That sounds really nice, MNJeepguy.

And it's always good to see you here.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Dear Caprice,

I am glad to hear you had a good Thanksgiving. We are having Thanksgiving at my niece's house which happens to be next door. I am making a few different kinds of dessert and a few different vegetables. Then Friday our whole family meets at a family restaurant and we eat dinner together. Then we go over to the next town where there is a lake that is a mile or more to walk around. The whole community in this town decorates every tree any object that can hold Christmas lights! It is so beautiful! The children love feed find the ducks and swans that live at the lake all yea around. It is so beautiful there.

I do not think I will be able to walk around the lake this year. I am still recovering from knee surgery. I can walk without the walker now. I still have to hold on to something getting up. I am a little unsteady at first. I can tell a big difference from the day of surgery. P.T. Is killing me. But it is helping. I just will be glad when it is over.

I hope everyone will have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Soft hugs to all!

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

katmandulou replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
DH and I talked about my closing the business, and agreed to 'not think about it' until January. That took the edge of, but it's still there.

I asked him what he wanted for Christmas, and he said 'don't spent a lot of money ion me.' I said said 'hey, two words - employee discount!' LOL I do have my eye on a couple of books for him.

Anyone who needs a great pie recipe, I'm willing to share. I have to say I make the best custards!
Lou

unhappybeoch responded:
My plans are on hold. I have to get a shot in my spine the day before, and not sure how I'm going to feel. Has anyone else gone threw the shots? And if so, how do you feel after? I'm terrified, but was told it might help with the pain from bulging discs. And I have put these shots off for 5 years. But my insurance want me to go back to pain control clinic. So this is what pain control clinic is going to do. One shot at a time for next few months.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
What you described sounds magical, Debbie. I hope you find a way to enjoy that lake and the lights without hurting your knee.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.