Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
So much going on
Bumblemom posted:
Hello All,
I was just diagnosed with diabetes a couple of days ago and a day later the Dr.'s office called to inform me that my triglycerides were so high they couldn't get a proper cholesterol reading. My Thyroid TSH is very elevated. I am taking this all so very hard, I think depression may be setting in. How did I get caught up in this whirl wind?!! My Fibromyalgia is now kicking in I am so sore and aching. I read somewhere a new study finds a connection between some of these issues and Fibromyalgia. Any thoughts or suggestions? Help I need some encouragement.
Sincerely,
Bumble Mom

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....so sorry that you are dealing with so many issues right now....take one day at a time....as you probably already know....stress is the wrath of the dragon's, aka FM, best friend....so try to limit the stress that you have if at all possible...

I hope that you also got your doctor to check your Vitamin D level, which is so important to a lot of people these days....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

I am sure you will find some good *tools and tips* here that will help you cope better...

I took care of my aunt, who was also diabetic and she managed hers just fine, as long as she ate right and watch her sugar blood level...this is a process also that you will have to learn a lot about. Hang in there I am sure that things will get better for you.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

forgetful88 replied to dollbug's response:
You need an endocrinologist. They handle both issues.

Both are very controlable, don't stress...

Your muscles pains & aches could very well be your thyroid level.

I have been on thyroid medication for the last 19yrs. Now I am not a diabetic so can't say much there. Is it type 1 or type II?

booch007 responded:
BUMBLE.....

Breathe. First the trigylcerides will get better when your diabetes gets under control. Shame on him for not realising this is all the diabetes....

Carbohydrates turn to energy quicker then protiens and fats and they pass through the portal first as a fatty acid molecule....(hense a tryglyceride.) People who are pre-diabetic and are early onset we see these high triglycerides of 300 and better.......as a sign of the near future cross over to real sweetness/ diabetes the diagnosis.

As a type 2 diabetic your are just insulin resistant in most cases. Meds to help you be more sensitive to your own insulin and a med to increase insulin is the avenue most taken....

There are some Type 1 diabetics that have an antibody that has hurt the panceas and also will go after the thyroid and this again is a process (fixable) but with and endocrinologist.

Exercise is always the best medicine to make your insulin more absorbed and utilized. See we are back to that old exercise mantra form the docs!

NOW the thyroid....this maybe the whole anchollata(sp?) here.

The thyroid is the boss of all organs and it can very well be contributing to the diabetes showing up now. BUT...this is all a balance of hormones and a very important one.

A good endocrinologist with a diabetic educator in the house is imperative. It is so hard to get the understanding of the disease, but it is so managable when you learn the TOOLs to use. Self reading can also help you figure you out. Getting a finger stick machine and checking yourself is also so important.

Just before meals and 2-3 hours after in the beginning to see how you respond to what you ate.

I will say that the trend now is to use lantus insulin once at night (a slow acting insulin) in patients, besides the pill assist. Research is showing a better result with this avenue. It will be what your doc and you are comfortable with though.

I wish you luck with this, it is defenitely workable. Not like the dragon fight we have. I am sorry you have more on your plate though. Having high sugars says you cells and muscles are not getting fed, it is staying in the blood....so you may feel better when you get into control Also a sugar over 300 will dehydrate you body badly, so if you have been that high (after a party) it will only aggraveate the FM.....feeling tired etc.

You will get better...it will be amazing to you the difference in your labs when the machine is made efficient with the med assist. All this is connected. Good Luck,NAncy B

Bumblemom replied to dollbug's response:
Thank you so much for the kind words! I am sorry it has taken me awhile to respond. Just going through the adjustment. I appreciate all the encouragement and kind words it helps so much! I wish you the best too!

Bumblemom replied to forgetful88's response:
Thank you so much for the advise I appreciate it! I appreciate all the positive encouragement and advise and I wish you the best!
Thank you so much

Bumblemom replied to booch007's response:
Nancy,
How can I thank you for all of this education!! You have brought me so much education and most of all encouragement!! I can't tell you enough!! I am so Thankful!! Thank you so much taking all this time to help me understand and to be able to move forward. I apologize that I hadn't responded sooner as it is taking some time to work on the emotional part of this. I know I keep saying this but Thank you so very much!!
Bea

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.