Skip to content
Newly diagnosed
nmonte94 posted:
So I just got diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I'm only 18 years old. I've been dealing with leg pains and also arm pains and even my whole body aching for the past 2 yrs and no one ever knew what it was. I went through probably about 6 or 7 doctors until I finally went to a neurologist and she diagnosed me with it. I've only known for a few days and people tell me to be positive but I just want to be in reality and accept that I will always have to deal with pain and medication. My depression and my anxiety is very bad, I never want to get out of bed and sometimes I just sit and stare at the wall. The only thing that helps is my boyfriend, I'm lucky to have someone who sticks with me and is my best friend too but unfortunately here's not here at the moment and might be away for a couple of months and without him, it's really difficult for me on my own. I just also lost my house in hurricane sandy so these past few weeks have been horrible. I just want to know what I'm in store for

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Nmonte and welcome,

I am so very sorry you lost your home.

And I'm sorry you're having to deal with this at so young an age. The good news is that you know now (many here had it that young but couldn't get an explanation) and there are many approaches to dealing with it, not just all medication.

I'm sure others will be responding here but it may get a bit quieter now that the weekend is upon us. Keep posting and reading here.

And I really encourage you to pursue some therapy for yourself. This is a hard thing to deal with at any age and it's okay to need support right now. And try and get yourself out of bed every day, moving a bit, getting out. It will help both your depression and anxiety AND your Fibromyalgia.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

nmonte94 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, I will really try. This is all brand new to me

foreversore responded:
First of all, I am so sorry about the loss of your home. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult and stressful that has been for you and we all know that stress is the last thing we FMers need. I am with you on the depression and anxiety. I often refuse to leave my home because of anxiety. All it takes is for one person to bump into me and waves of agony roll through me. I have suffered from depression for many years but I believe it is worse now because I am still adjusting to my new normal. I do take medication for depression twice a day and it seems to help a bit. I DO force myself out of bed even when I really don't want to. Even if I stay in my PJ's all day and don't go anywhere just puttering around the house a bit can brighten your mood just remember to pace yourself. Its good that your BF is so supportive. Try to talk to him as often as you can since he seems to be your main support system. And you're right you do have to deal with your new reality, but try to find even the tiniest positive thing about your life as it is now. It may be hard to find but when you do find it you will see that even a small amount of positivity goes a long way.

Do your research on FM, depression and anxiety and talk to your doctor about what treatment options are possible for you. It will take some trial and error as what works for one doesn't always work for all. Give each new thing you try 6-8 weeks to fully kick in before you give up on it. Don't despair because sooner or later you will find the right combination of medication, supplements and therapies that work for you. I encourage you to look for the member toolbox. Its in a link on the right under Caprice our moderator. I also encourage you to read these 2 articles and pass them on to friends and family members in hopes that they will have a better idea of what life is like for you. The first is a "Letter to Normals" and the second is the "Spoon Theory" they can be very helpful in explaining to others just how you feel and what its like to walk in your shoes. I will post the links below:

http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/letter_to_normals.htm

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you begin to find your way to deal with FM and as you recover from the Hurricane Sandy damage. I hope you can get back to a semblance of normal very soon. In the meantime, we are always here to listen when you need to talk or vent.

rudyandirmouse responded:
nmonte94. Welcome to the fibro FMily. I'm glad you found us but an sorry that you have gotten the fibro DX. I am also so sorry to hear of the loss of you home because of Sandy. I am sure the last few weeks have been awful for you and I send my prayers and positive thoughts to you.

My name is Linda and I had fibro at 18 I'm sure as well. I didn't get the fibro DX until I was in collage. I was like you, flu like and body aches. Went to three doctors then a Rheumy and I was the one who found out what I had and the Rheumy DX'd it after the points test and blood work.

And like you I just wanted to stay in bed. I missed out on a full semester at collage. I felt so sorry for myself. I just thought OMG my life, as I had lived it, was gone. My dreams up in smoke and plans shot to hell. But after feeling sorry for myself for 6 months and my friends got tired of hearing me complain, they came over, picked me up, took me to the university to register for spring classes and the first day back I felt good, not the old me, but good.

So what are you in store for? Well, each of us here knows fibro is a One Size Doesn't fit All kind of illness. It acts differently with each of us and yet it's symptoms and flares can be the same. We all get flare ups throughout the year, winter is the worst for us I think, at least for me it is. People who live in warmer climates do better and have less painful flares. But the flares are flares and the pain is the same, BUT it is stronger in some, less in others and pretty much nothing to others. Some of us get lots of symptoms while others not so many or so often. Some of us get IBS, a lot, some of us get costochondritis through the year, some of us have lots of infections, others not so much or never. Some of us can take OTC meds to help ease the symptoms of fibro and the pain. Others need stronger meds and shots to help make the symptoms or fibro issues at bay.

Now I have had the fibro DX for over 30 years now. After getting back to live as I could live it, I had 3 children, finished collage and have been busy and as active as I can when I can. Life with fibro is what you make of it. Fibro would love to have you in bed missing out on life. It feeds on your unhappiness and sadness. Fibro can't keep you in bed only if you let "IT" Sure you'd like to be as active as you were before you started feeling ill, we all would. I was miss on the go, on the road, the go to girl and then wham I was feeling really sick and just wanted to give up on life. Boy was "IT" happy that day and I let "IT" take 6 months of my life from me. Well not any more!! We all manage to make the most of our days, pain, symptoms, etc and all.

So my advice to you is this: take your life back from the fibro DX.I know right now stress and anxiety are playing a bit part in your pain and symptoms. But with your doctor's help he can guide you to doctors and medications that will help ease the pain and the stress ( anxiety ) and help you get more from your day than you might not have gotten without it.

Please come back to visit us, joining the roll call group that signs in each day and gives us up dates, support and gentle hugs. Trust me, it helps to have others who understand what you are dealing with. I've run out of characters so gotta close this here.
Gentle hugs and support.
Linda R

nmonte94 replied to foreversore's response:
I appreciate that, right now it is a very difficult time trying to wake up to the reality of all this. I'm going from house to house, bed to couch, it's horrible. Yesterday my legs were practically collapsing because of the pain. I've been definitely researching cause I want to know all about this and I've read the letters to normal, it was great and I will read that other one. Right now I am taking gabapentin 2x a day and cymbalta once a day so I haven't really felt so much effects cause I've only been on it a few days. I hope it helps. Thank you so much, very much appreciated.

nmonte94 replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
Thank you, appreciated. Right now it feels like my life is a downward spiral. The cold is definitely not helping the pain! I can't lie right now I am very negative about it. I feel like for the rest of my life I'll be in pain and will deal with episodes of depression That's something hard to deal with ya know. I'm not complaining, I just thought the pain was temporary, not permanent. I also work everyday except weekends 10-7 so my body is like dead constantly lol.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.