Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question:
nmonte94 posted:
I'm going to start physical therapy sometime soon for fibro, now does it help you lose weight? I'd like to lose a few pounds.

forgetful88 responded:
It might, depending on what it is your doing. I think any type of full body movement burns calories.

I have had PT, but they were for post orthopedic surgeries..Knee/Shoulder.

I think just getting your body in any type of motion will help you lose weight.

Dana Dailey, MS, PT responded:
nmonte94,

Physical therapy can help you set up an exercise program geared toward weight loss. It will typically involve aerobic type exercise - walking, biking, swimming, and some strength/stretching exercise. Make sure you know how to monitor your heart rate, breathing rate and exertion rate during your exercise. It is important to let your doctor and therapist know that is one of your goals, so they can include that in your plan of care. They will also be able to tell you what is appropriate for you based on your health history, the problem you are going to therapy for, the availability of equipment or not and what type of exercise would work best for you. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks
Dana

nmonte94 replied to Dana Dailey, MS, PT's response:
Oh okay, I haven't started yet, I'm a little nervous. Thank you though, I will ask if needed

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.