Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do I have Fibro???
An_249067 posted:
I am just coming to believe that I might have fibromyalgia. I have been struggling with what I thought were unconnected symptoms for quite a while now. I have had some serious health challenges in the past few years, and thought that I was just not pulling myself together. I have chased various possible diagnoses.....but the treatment for each has not been very successful. I have thought that I was loosing my mind....so much fatigue, so much brain fog. I was through several significant surgeries and a serious injury....and thought that I was just dealing with the after effects. Lately, I am just frustrated. My body hurts all over, like having the aches and pains of a fever. Some days are worse than others. I deal with debilitating fatigue, headaches, body aches, depression, poor concentration. All of these symptoms can be connected to what I have been through with my health, but time has passed and I should be much better, should be doing well. I have been through various medication, pain managment treatment, counseling.....all helpful, but not an answer....and no real improvement. I have been doing some research....and when I came across the information about fibromyalgia....wowzer!!! It sounds like someone writing a description of my life for the past few years.
How do I talk to my doctor about this? He has heard all of my issues for the past few years and has not brought this up. Also, I am thinking that this may be time to file for Disability.....I have lost 2 jobs from the brain fog and fatigue and don't feel that I can handle working anymore.
I would love some feedback from anyone who can provide me with some direction......

xperky responded:
My diagnosis came from a rheumatologist. Then it all made sense and I started getting better medicines for FM. A rheumy should also check for other rheumatic conditions that could cause these symptoms.

I have heard that FM is now on the list of conditions that qualify for disability, in certain cases. It sounds like you might have the documentation needed, after those job losses. It helps to have a doctor on your side. So sorry it's been that hard for you.

I hope you can get some firm answers soon.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Survivor2007 replied to xperky's response:
Thank you for your response Margaret. I will be starting with my primary and then will talk with him about seeing a rheumatologist. Sigh....another doctor on my list. I hope that I will get some answers.

Survivor2007 replied to Survivor2007's response:
I am going to scream!!! I went to see my doc yesterday and saw his new PA instead. Good news is that all systems are go....good on cholesterol, Vit D, etc. New PA is younger than my son....and when I went over my list of symptoms with him, told me that he thinks that I am dealing with hormone issues, not fibro. I had to point out to him that I am a breast cancer survivor, whose cancer was estrogen positive, and so therefore I am on medication to suppress estrogen and have had a full hysterectomy.....so yes, I am a hormone desert!! Then tells me that I should talk to my oncologist, and to consider having hormone replacement therapy......IDIOT!! Even admitted that he has to research why I cannot be on hormone replacement.....duh.....! He did not even want to go over my symptoms with me. Told me that since I am already taking all of the medications that I would be given if I did have fibro, that there would be nothing he could do....I take Cymbalta, Trazadone, Calcium w/Vit D, and have oxycontin for as needed. Okay, so I may be on all the right medications, but that does not help. I need the actual diagonsis.....I cannot take the physical stress of working anymore, I have lost 2 jobs due to brain fog...right now I feel like I am literally up the creek with no paddle and a hole in the boat. So defeated!!

jroseland replied to Survivor2007's response:
Hello and sorry for what you're going through. It sounds like you had to have an appointment with someone not very knowledgable about any of your issues.

I didn't wait for a doctor to diagnose me. I knew I had FM years before I had an actual diagnosis. Then I pretty much told my doctors I have it. Of course, I still had all the blood tests to rule anything else out.

He did have a point about the meds you're on, however. Those are some of the meds often prescribed for FM. I'd encourage you to research all the meds and if you think there's a better fit, then present your doctor with that request. In my experience, many doctors know very little about FM so we usually have to educate them anyway.
I agree, though, that he could have been more understanding and handled the appointment better.

Unfortunately, I don't think many of us have had hugely enlightening visits with our doctors, even the good ones. Mainly this is because there is no magic bullet or quick treatment. Most of us figure out lifestyle changes that help us cope. This site is one of the best resources I've come across. Not only is there good medical advice, but the experience of others is invaluable.

One thing I have found that helps with brain fog is to cut out most sugar and to eat a higher protein diet. I don't even eat most grains. For me, this is especially important for breakfast. And getting in even a little bit of exercise can also help, although I know how hard that can be.

I hope you can figure some things out!

An_249067 replied to jroseland's response:
Thanks for the reply jroseland. I have been looking up rheumatologists that have a good history of working with fibro, and plan to make an appointment with one of them as soon as possible. The more I think about yesterday's appointment, the more it aggravates me. I felt like it was the old "if it's a woman thing, it must be hormones". Granted, I am sure that plays a part in how I feel, but after doing research, it does not account at all for all of the symptoms. I am really not seeking a change in medications, I think the medications are doing what they can do...although it would be nice to have some more pain relief. And I can do things to adjust my daily life to accomodate the fatigue and fog. But I need the diagnosis so that I can feel comfortable informing friends and family that I am not lazy or unmotivated....that there is a reason that I am pooped all the time, that there is a reason that I can't do what I used to do. Also, I need to file for disability.....in the past 5 years I have had breast cancer, treatment, a serious fall with compressed vertebrae. I have done all I can to try to keep some kind of pace...to keep up, and to catch up. But to no avail. Having a diagnosis of fibro will help me to not be so hard on myself....or maybe I am just going crazy and getting lazy and...and.....sigh!
I am already coming to appreciate this site for information and reading the experience of others. Especially with there not really being a treatment for this, listening to what others have found to be helpful is most appreciated. I will post when I have been able to find a doc and get an appointment. Thank you so much for your support and understanding.....I hope you are doing well.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.