Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
5 HTP
tlp2815 posted:
Hello-
Has anyone used 5HTP? Was it a positive or negative experience for you? What are the side effects you have experienced? Does anyone know if this is safe to take with Lyrica and Elavil? I take Lyrica 75mg day for fibro and Elavil (only 5mg) at night to sleep. I had read about 5HTP and was curious about it. What is a good dosage to take? I dont want it to have the opposite affect on me? I had read that it can keep you up at night. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Anon_10089 responded:
I tried it a few years ago. It actually made me extremely queasy and my appetite flip flopped. I usually eat a lot of protein and few carbs but the only foods I could stomach were carbs and starches. If I continued eating like that, I would gain massive weight, so I went off of the 5-HTP.

This doesn't mean I think you shouldn't try it. It took me a few bewildered weeks to figure out that is was the 5-HTP making me feel that way. I mostly mention the above side effects so that if you experienced them it might not take you as long to figure it out as me!

Also, I only tried it on my own. It might be good to go through an alternative doctor, or research the dosage really well yourself.

Mommahonk responded:
Hi,
It did not work for me.... sure it kind of calmed down, but not enough to sleep.
But mind you, I have extreme insomnia!! Ambien puts me sleep and Trazadone keeps me asleep...

Good luck!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Also, be sure to discuss anything you're considering with your doctor.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.