Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
newly diagnosed fm requesting advice
kimberly0521 posted:
hi im kimberly im 22 a mother of a 1yr old a nurse and recently diagnosed with fm and osteoarthitis having a tough time coping physically and emotionally right now any advice on coping with this disease? any advice greatly appreciated

booch007 responded:
I also am a nurse and boy did this disease torture me to figure it out. Which I still find it fascianating with the symptoms my body presents with.

Please look to the right in the resources dept for the Members Toolbox and look in it, it was written a long time ago but it has all the tools we have honed to give ourselves a life.

Just don't give up fighting this "dragon" as we call it to give it a face. There will be a time in your future you will begin to dance with this and not be "draggin the dragon" as i say......

Every morning is like Groundhog day, it doesn't matter how good I get in the quest for the day, as soon as I sleep I am frozen in pain again when I awake. Even a nap. But I have a routine that breaks it and I can move forward and use distraction ALOT to help push him away even more.

This is a chronic mess and you have to build YOUR TOOLBOX of what helps and triggers that make you worse. Dr P. up to the right had a great post of tricks, look through his posts.

One biggy was "arms stay home". You learning curve adds to do thing in a new way and keeping your elbows in to the core will help the neck and then the upper back muscles. It is an early lesson learned on my own. I just kept saying I can't work above my head.

I lasted maybe 4 years in the hospital and then I got hurt lifting a patient, it ended the career and I was brought into the office with the attendings.....I have been there now 13 years. I was the charge nurse of their ICU.

I am able to alternate the muscle groups I use (BIG) so no one gets tired and more painful. I change my shoes to a different pair eachday to help use differnt leg muscles as all shoes pitch you different. All things are planned so I am ahead of my body. IT IS YEARS in honing these tools. I KNOW ME....I know me better then anyone now.

Paying attention to the small things. The laundry was a biggy I bought a front loader big difference for me. On pedastals so I don't bend. My dishes are corelle, the numb hands if they drop( they don't break) and they are the lightest to carry.

It is years of watching, documenting and testing myself.

Good luck, the biggest thing is you FOUND US.....B I G !

So much to learn from the fmily here. They are a wonderful group.

Hug to you.....good luck, Nancy B

kimberly0521 replied to booch007's response:
thank you so much im so happy i found this group to join and discuss with just nice to talk with people who understand exactly what your going though my family is very supportive but sometimes i just dont feel they truely understand my day to day stuggles thank you again

tabor replied to kimberly0521's response:
I too have joined quite recently and it helps to know that you are not alone

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.