Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I'm Back!
katmandulou posted:
Hi All, Lou has returned from the edge! If you're squeamish, click off the page!!

I think I said last week that I woke up on Wed with excruciating pain in my belly. It was very low, and I had self-diagnosed a UTI. I made the doctor's appt, and since the pain got worse as the day went on I asked DH to come home and drive me. I'm so glad I did.

The doc said he thought it was an intestinal issue and told me to go to the hospital for a CT scan. They examined me, did the CT and admitted me. The scan showed that my intestines were wrapped or crossing each other. I was scheduled for a variety of tests, scans and procedures over the next few days, and it looked on the surface they worked, but nothing was truly resolved.

The CT scan was repeated last Tuesday, and it showed nothing had changed. The surgeon told me he wanted to take a peek inside. He said it could run the gamut from something very simple that's fixable with a snip or a trim to something complex that might require removing pieces of intestine and/or a colostomy bag. I said YES and jumped in.

I woke up to see my DH grinning, and he said, "he was right, it was SO simple!" I thought I'd cry. An old adhesion from surgery in the 60s or the 70s expanded too far and was choking off my intestines. He made the cut needed and voila - all is better!

It's Fri Dec 7, the third day after the surgery, the 10th day of this hospital stay, and I'm recovering nicely. I'm finally getting food (I've had nothing but IV and occasional sips of water) and hope to go home tomorrow. I haven't been able to check in like I usually do, and I hope you have all been well while I've been gone.

No matter what, I wish you the best Friday - and the best weekend - you can possibly have! Louise

dollbug responded:
OMG.....Lou....I am so sorry that you have been through so much....10 days in the hospital...I am so very glad though that this was found and corrected....we have to always address PAIN....especially us FMers...

I hope you continue to recover and I hope that you get stronger each and every day....just remember to pace, pace and pace even more....

Thoughts and prayers are with you...

Take care and good luck to you...

May GOD continue to watch over you and provide you with comfort.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Teelady1 responded:
Lou, good to hear from you - and so happy to hear you're feeling better and on the mend! Sending get well vibes and hope you can go home tomorrow!

fibroinsd responded:
So glad to hear from you Lou...I have been so worried about you..and so relieved to hear it was an "easy" fix..although I know no surgery is easy..glad they have taken good care of you..Thanks for letting us know.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

foreversore responded:
It's so good to see you back, Lou! While I am super glad the fix was "simple" and you were able to avoid the colostomy, I'm sorry you had to go through it all in the first place. Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

booch007 responded:
Oh Kat...so glad it was simple. I thought this was intussaception (common in hypothyroid people) and a bit complicated to fix......so glad it was as simple as an adhesion.

SO GLAD YOU STOPPED DIAGNOSING and went tot he doc.

My girlfreind same thing and it was pancreatic cancer.....was feeling it was diverticulitis. You can NEVER be too careful.

I am SO SO happy for you.

Our lessons we share here can only help other to see that it can be a simple thing but a tough thing if not seen by the doctors we use and have at our disposal.

Whew again. Glad you are on the mend! Hugs, Nancy B

katmandulou responded:
I think when we have the tools we try to self-diagnose, but the pain was SO great I knew I had to see a doc. I'm still surprised that such an old surgery was at the root of the problem, I never would have bet on that.

I'm waiting for my bland lunch now - there is a lot of white bread and mushy veggies in my immediate future, until I'm healed - and when I prove I can 'tolerate it' they'll make it official. I know I'll get home and the dog will be excited, and then I have to hit the shower (!) and take a nap.

The lunch cart just pulled up, gotta show them what I've learned. See you back here next week! Lou

xperky replied to katmandulou's response:
Hi Lou, so glad to hear the fix was "easy!" I bet any food tastes good at this point, so enjoy your recovery process...as she wipes the sweat off her brow and says "whew."
With Compassion,
Margaret

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I had been wondering where you were but never imagined such a roller coaster! So glad you're okay and it turned out to be a simple fix. And very glad you got to the hospital when you did. Yikes!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.