Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Right side of face numb; temple sensitive and shooting pain PLEASE HELP IM SCARED!!
DearPrudence posted:
For the past two days, the right side of my face has gone almost completely numb. It ranges from the back of my right ear up to my front right temple. The area near my temple feels softer and sensitive and like there is a somewhat bulging vein which if i press on, makes the numbing sensation stronger and brings on a ringing in my ears and a shooting pain from the temple down the whole right side of my head/face. Also it seems the area of my lower right jaw in front of ear along jaw to my lip is swollen and squishy feeling (also numb; like novacaine from the dentist). (I must mention I also grind my teeth and have TMJ, i can pop my whole bottom jaw out) Last night this numb feeling traveled down my entire right side and my arm, leg, and basically that whole side of my body had a desensitized feeling.

In my researching of this I came across fibro as being a cause. I was diagnosed with this a little over a year ago after having an unending bout of extreme fatigue and joint pain. I'm a 30 year old female and had a history of chronic mono before this (i have been diagnosed with mono or reactive mono four times since I was 14) so I even wonder if my doctor made the right diagnosis at that time. I was put on gabapentin and took it for maybe six months but i no longer have health coverage so I am not on any medication at the moment.

Additionally, I suffer from migraines from time to time. They were worse when I was younger and in my teen years from my birth control. By my mid twenties they almost became non-existent although recently this month I have been starting to experience full fledged migraines with nausea and vomiting.

I am wondering if this is related to fibromyalgia or if it could be something else more serious? I also read anxiety can cause numbness and I definitely have SEVERE anxiety; once again not treated because no insurance. Sadly this is a vicious cycle considering the reason I no longer have insurance is because I could no longer continue my job in the condition I was in last year and just havent ever fully bounced back physically.

Also, this past April I experienced a seizure. I have never had a seizure before. I lost all muscle control as I was walking down the stairs (my legs went weak) and fell down the last five steps, convulsions, twitching, the whole 9...i dont remember much after the loss of leg control. my mom saw the whole thing and called ambulance. The docs at the ER seemed non-chalant about the whole matter and I was sent home after a few hours and no follow up on my end or theirs.

I'm really scared especially after recalling all of the details and connecting these symptoms together. I am hoping this all relates to fibromyalgia....if anyone can please respond and let me know if they have similar symptoms or if I should be going to an ER. I'm afraid it a tumor or a stroke or anueruism....please just lead me in the right direction of what I should be doing. Is this caused by possible fibromyalgia, my anxiety or TMJ? i dont even know if i am posting in the proper forum

thanks

painfullyexhausted responded:
I think a trip to the ER might be a good idea. They can do a CT or MRI to assure that there's nothing serious such as a tumor or whatnot is causing this. Certainly, anxiety can cause your body to do some crazy things and the more you sit and worry, the more anxious you become which in return will make symptoms worse. TMJ and grinding your teeth can cause severe headaches/migraines not to mention muscles getting knotted up.

It's strange that they didn't do any type of testing when you were there for your seizure. Obviously, having a seizure is not normal. I've heard that stress/anxiety can be the cause of a seizure (again, I "heard" this) but they still should have done something.

I don't have insurance either but I do know that anxiety meds are not that costly and there's discount cards available everywhere. I found several on line. Is there any type of gov't assistance where you live ? You don't necessarily have to go on medicaid but sometimes they go by your income. Unfortunately, I make slightly more than what they consider to be "poverty". Because I work, it seems to be an issue. Go figure.

If you're that concerned about what's going on, then you really should go get checked out, I would.

Best of luck.....

Anon_408 responded:
On this forum, we really can't give advise on what you should or shouldn't do. I would suggest if it was myself, I would go to an ER....Along with your thoughts on the subject, the numbing to the arm etc would concern me because those can be symptoms of heart problems.

We can't assume every thing is fibro related. Is it possible to get it checked out by a Dr.? Us as general posters on the board really can't or shouldn't tell you what to do, but they can say what they would do.

Hoping you find some answers, and feel better.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.