Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do people cope with a fibro flare
franr posted:
Good Morning

Well another miserable night no sleep and pain. Ithas been along time for me sich I had a fibro flare.The increase in meds is not doing anthing. Tonite the md wants me to pair klonapin with a 1/2o lunester. Has anyone taken this? How do others cope with these terrible fibro flares. Any Encouragement would be helpful. Fran

foreversore responded:
Hi, Fran. I too am still awake after a long and pain filled night. I have a lot of issues with my back and neck in addition to fibro. I take Klonopin for restless leg syndrome but have never tried Lunesta so I can't give you any advice on that. I can tell you that a lot of nights I start with a cup of warm valerian root tea, take a nice warm shower and then go to bed. I have a comfortable mattress and a heated mattress pad. Between my meds, the tea and the moist and dry heat it will lower my pain just enough to get me to fall asleep but I don't always stay asleep. Some nights nothing I try works. It's always hit and miss with me.

During a flare I try to put all of my tools to use. I use Tiger Balm patches on some spots (It's kind of like an Icy Hot patch) and the warm Therma Care patches on other spots if I can't be home and the heating pad if I am home. I try to get plenty of rest, even if I don't sleep I lie down with my eyes closed and concentrate on relaxing. Look for the member tool box under a picture of Caprice on the right side of your screen. A lot of people have put helpful ideas there and through a process of trial and error you will find the tools that work best for you.

I hope that you find some of this information helpful and that you can find the tools that work for you soon. Best wishes and good luck.

lb707 replied to foreversore's response:
I can only ditto what foreversore wrote. I use Epsom salt bathes, pain patches, thermacare wraps, heating pads, and ice packs coupled my own med regime. Then I can lay in my very comfortable latex bed with no pressure points go to sleep and wake up a few hours later in excruciating pain.

I feel like flares are normal for me as it seems I am in constant flare until I have some really bad times like right now. My upper back and neck is so tight I can get no relief other than sit her and alternate ice and heat.......and tell myself my normal will come back.

My Dr. recently wanted me try gabapentin at night only to see if it would help with the sleep and feel it its working. I just hate the slow wake up time in the morning, she said give it 6 weeks and see if that will go away.

This sounds a little negative and I have a hard time with that. The positive is I do not have to work....my husband is not demanding...two lap dogs who love me...good Dr. who understands pain and a couple of friends living with the same health issues who we can get together and have fun.

lalab

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.