Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe Joint Pain and Negative tests :(
Lawoman252 posted:
Hi all....I and 32 years old have been having severe pain for about 8 months now. It started in my knee which has always hurt me for years and slowly moved into my inner hip. I have problems walking on my left leg because of this. I have also developed in the past 4 months, severe neck, ankle, wrist and shoulder pain and stiffness asymmetrically on my body. The pain is mainly in the joint and feels like a severe ache radiating in the bone. The joints click and clack together and make grinding sounds whenever I move them. I am also getting really bad sinus type headaches and severe fatigue. The fatigue is so bad that I can barely wake up in the morning and stay awake through the day. I feel drowsy all day long and can barely get things done around the house.

I went to the doctor two weeks ago and he sent me to a Rhematologist. She assessed me and did not see any visible swelling or redness in my joints. She did diagnose me with having hyper mobile joints that bend a little funny. She sent me for blood work to check my thyroid, RA factor, ANA and lyme. She also did a full CBC. I was put on Medrol dose pack to help with the pain and it really helped dramatically. For 3 days while taking it I had more energy, didn't need to nap and the pain in my joints felt a lot better.

I also went to see an orthopedic surgeon who took X-rays of my hip and knee. He did not see any visible issues and thought the Rhematologist would of found something out instead. Well I met with the Rhematologist yesterday and she told me all my blood work was completely negative and nothing was wrong. I told her the pain had come back full force since being off of the Medrol and she said I was OK and didn't have Lupus, RA or thyroid issues and that my main problem was Fibromyaligia. She didn't give me any meds to help and told me I needed to see a Psychiatrist for possible depression. I am not depressed, I am in pain all the time and can barely take care of myself and my son. At this point I am going back to see my regular doctor and find out what is going on with me. I am not having pain in my muscles so I have no clue how it could be Fibromylagia. Has anyone had similar issues like this? It's slowly taking over my life and the pain is so unbearable.

Also, I am on Norvasc for Hypertension. I also take Xanax and Celexa for anxiety I had years ago that is now controlled.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....so sorry that you are dealing with so much right now....but this is indeed the *normal*....it takes a while for any doctor to figure out what is going on with us...there are doctors out there that still do not believe that FM exists...but I think everyone here can verify that *it* does....and it will take you a while to figure out what might help you cope better...it does take a trial and error process....as we are all different and what helps one may or may not help you....you have to be the one who will eventually decide...

I would like to encourage you though to be sure and ASK the doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is so important to a lot of people these days.....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well...it is a simple blood test but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it...as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do...

I also hope you will check out the info under *tips* and *resources* that you will find to the right of this page...I am sure you will find some things that you might want to try...there are no quick or easy fixes that I am aware of...

We all understand what you are going through right now as most of us have already been through the same thing...but hang in there and learn all you can....and hopefully you will find a way to *dance with the dragon, as Nana B...(a member here) says...instead of *draggin the dragon...

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

painfullyexhausted responded:
Hello.. I also have been experiencing some symptoms that I didn't believe could be FM, (Still not completely convinced) such as swollen, very painful knees. My hips and knees always bother me but this is just different. When I wake up in the morning, I can hardly walk due to my knees being so stiff and swollen. The actually look like huge hives, red and swollen, warm to the touch. Other smaller joints are swollen but nit as red. I also have been experiencing the "butterfly rash" which is sometimes present with Lupus. Just some strange things. My doctor did extensive labs including RF, ANA, CBC, CMP, Lupus titer and a few others (Vitamin D, MiMi). My CBC was off a bit but everything else came back normal or negative.

My doctor believes it's just part of the FM. FM is a mystery, it can do some crazy things to people, not everyone has the exact same symptoms. Some people do experience more of the muscle issues and maybe not the fatigue or joint problems and just tender muscles.

I don't understand it all and I'm sure nobody ever will. Mine started with my back and went to sleeping issues and now it's all over the place, literally. I honestly don't know what's going to happen from day to day. The one thing I can count on is some sort of pain, somewhere in my body, that's just a given.

Of course, I'm not saying that there's nothing else going on with you, I'm just saying don't discount the FM. I certainly hope that you find some answers, it sure seems like we are constantly searching for them.

Best of luck....

xperky responded:
My road was also a long one to get diagnoses and treatments. I was lucky to get treatment for the pain along the way. I was diagnosed with FM and received good treatment from a rheumatologist who didn't just send me to a psychiatrist and write me off.

A year and a half later, my body showed concrete signs of RA. My blood was still high normals but trending up and my joints showed classic symptoms.

Your joints and blood should be monitored over time and your symptoms brought under control so you can live!

I sure hope you don't have any of those diseases and you magically start feeling better. We can dream...
With Compassion,
Margaret

painfullyexhausted replied to xperky's response:
Hi Margaret !

I'm always glad for someone else's input with what they have experienced. I have been told that sometimes the blood work doesn't always show things right away so I'll stay on top of things. I know what I'm experiencing isn't normal for me but I also know that FM can do some crazy things.

From what I understand there are a lot of autoimmune diseases that mimic each other and sometimes you get a diagnoses by pinpointing the symptoms after your findings on the labs, whether positive or negative. I've had several new things going on so I guess I need to wait it out.

I don't wish for anything to be wrong with me, I just keep thinking maybe there is an underlying issue that can be addressed so that I'm not constantly in pain or feel crappy all the time. I know that FM can get the best of you but there's got to be a time when I can say "I feel good today". When I saw my doctor (when he ordered the labs) he switch some of my meds around so I'm hoping that this will be helpful. It's only been 11 days (not that I'm counting lol) so I'm not seeing a difference yet but I want to !!

I would do just about anything to have even one week a month of feeling good ! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you again...

mnjeepguy replied to painfullyexhausted's response:
You pretty much described my symptoms, I am 37. I too had the RH not find anything, 2 both called me a vision of health. I hop to someday figure it out. If I do I will post up. Glad you feel better.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.