Skip to content
fibroand long term effects
An_249442 posted:
When I was diagnosed with fibro about 15 yrs ago the doc said there is n no cure but it does not have any effect on your body like arthritis does, what a crock! I think the medical community needs to rethink that statement. Long term chronic pain can effect every organ in your body not to mention what it is doing to your brain. Why wont the medical community admit this? Dont you know of fibro suffers in wheel chairs? It is not even to do with your muscles, it is a nervous system disease so why are we not referred to nueroligists? Im tired of being in pain every day and no amount of drugs is helping. I had a small dose of morphine when I was in the hospital and was pain free for abour 15 min. just long enough forme to remember what pain free felt like the come down back to pain was the worst day of my life because I remembered what I was missing! Dont tellme to swim, or excersise, U dont tell a sick person this. Tell me you are looking for a cure for this horrific disease that You said would not effect my organs!

Anon_2912 responded:
It does not affect organs. I think many would have died by now....if it did.

It is us FM'ers being over sensitive to pain. There are many things you can do to help alleviate the pain. Moving is one of them. ...It is a trial & error.

booch007 responded:
I agree with some of this. It is an awful disease and it takes a toll on your spirit. IT causes you to pull in , maybe do less and in doing so....use less of your body.

When you use less of your body things will give in. Muscles will not perform and arthritis can set in in the older population.

We are in pain all the time, our meds lessen it to a degree of a life. WHY we all got here, I don't know. I have beat my brain in trying to figure this out. But it doesn't change the reality that we are broken.

It is turning to be a chemical, neurological issue and rhematology was considering sending it all the neurology...but it seems that didn't happen.

I see neurology, always have. I am on the same meds as others here. I push like the dickens to move and be as much of me as I can. Man it is tough. If I didn't work for the distraction it gives, I would be worse off. Getting your mind on something other then the actual-pain is so important for me.

We are all at different levels of this, some chemically balanced a bit more then others. It is so complex an issue. I feel for the docs as much as us. To not be able to totally help someone is a BIG downer for them as well. Frustrating to the core.

It does not effect organs or degenerate our bodies, but i totally agree that it degrades the spirit and your ability to cope at times and continue with this valiant effort we all make everyday.

I say we live "Groundhog Day" like the movie.....no matter how good i get in a day, when I sleep and awake..it starts over again!! That is depressing.......

I hope you can get to a better place soon. Maybe a change in the meds or a change in doc...might be what is in order to assist you. Some here have gone all the way to Fentanyl patches...the problem is there is NO WHERE to go after that...
That is the ceiling in pain management.

It, in my situation is better to use all the tools that are non medical to make me feel better...TENS machine, hot patches...showers...stretching...eating carefully, hydration etc...(as found in the toolbox under resources and Caprice)
Then to keep going up on my meds. I found the answers are not in the PILL.

I have changed my meds a few times and at present am using double my doses as I am in trouble...but when I get out of this mess I will pull back.

My needs are different then yours, but I know i have a lifetime of pain ahead fo me...so i am careful to use all avenues before my my meds to be better.

I also know that when I am this frustrated...my pain is worse.

Doing something really good for you is also a pain med..
Get out and do an enjoyable thing....I learned working in Hospice that the endorphins of the holidays lowered ALL PAIN across the board for patiebts and I had less on-call calls....

It was true. I use this knowledge for myself. I get in a GOOD PLACE to get the endorphins and help myself....

So, that is my take. I hope you figure this out. I also speak of the book I lean on. FM and Chronic Myofacia Pain (a survival manual) by Dr Devin Starlanyl . Amazon.com a good investment.

I so hope you get some relief, I know this tunnel you are in and the light you are looking for..........Hugs from me, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
376 of 403 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.