Skip to content
New Medications
Anon_149959 posted:
I have FM and some arthritis my rheumatologist, as much as I love him, insist on changing my medications every time I go to see him (I try only to go once or twice a year) I have reciently have started to major problems with RLS so he started me on Ropinirole for it. I like this a lot it helps me sleep and I have lost 5 pounds the first week on it, not to mention the relief from my legs feeling like they are crawling with bugs and jumping around..
I also was taking Nucynta for the pain (this worked great) but it only lasted about 6 hours instead of the 8 hours prescribed for. I work part-time to full-time as a CNA so I am on my feet for the whole seven and a half to twelve hour shifts I work. Anyway he placed me on the Nucynta ER doubling my dose and only take it twice a day, (all I wanted was to increase the original by on tablet per day) After almost having a stroke at the cost (and I have really great insurance and had to pay almost one hundred dollars on my co-pay, which would put this med at close to 500 dollars for a month supply )
I decided to give this a try for one month, but cannot afford to pay those prices. It works but I still have break through pain.. In reading the insert I also realized this "not for long term use, and highly addictive" which makes me a bit scared to take this as prescribed. I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this drug and what it is like for them. And if there may be other less costly things out there to take that is like Nucynta.

painfullyexhausted responded:
I've never taken Nucynta but from what I understand it's more for post operative pain. Short term use. I could be wrong, maybe the prescribing has changed. I worked for a surgeon and that's what he RX'd for after surgery.

It was suppose to take the place of narcotics so one wouldn't have the usual side effects such as nausea and vomiting with the use of pain medication. It is habit forming but what I was told was it didn't give you that "high" feeling so people wouldn't want it for just that reason.

Definitely do some research on it. You have many options on the internet and your pharmacist should be able to answer these questions as well. I don't know of any pain meds that will take your pain completely away for 6-8 hours unless they are the big named ones which you don't really want to get started on those. Just my opinion.

Best of luck...

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.