Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worst medication ever!
macartist posted:
Have had Fibro for over 5 years...tried everything. Was on Cymbalta for about 2 years when it caused Restless Leg Sydrome. Started taking Requip for my legs and felt horrible side effects...like bugs crawling on me. Been on Savella for almost 2 moths and threw it in the trash where it belongs. Anger issues skyrocketed! Road rage, screaming at my dad. Picking fights with my husband...everything set me off. I don't know what else to try. My depression needs to be controlled and my fibro pain in off the charts. What else is out there?

crystalgreeneyes responded:
Hi. I sympathize with you. I have tried almost everything there is also. I think because those who have fibro. are generally quite sensitive to a range of things - foods, preservatives, light, noise and all the rest of it - that it only makes sense that we also react strongly to chemical compounds found in medications. I have tried a number of anti-depressants as well as Cymbalta. I was flat on my back for about 4 days and could barely move. I couldn't sleep while taking it either, although I have found that drugs which knock other people out, have barely an effect on me. I do take a sleeping pill at night and some anti-anxiety med. If you are taking any benzo. meds., be careful because they can increase your depression. I recently cut back on the dose I was taking and I have stopped crying my eyes out every single day. My pain is really bad now too but I have found NOTHING that will ease it. You could try modifying your diet if you haven't done so - cutting sugar will help and perhaps gluten. Sugar makes my pain skyrocket. It's hard to stop it because I do crave it and that is common when depressed. Still you have been on this merry-go-round for 5 years so it sounds like you have reached a bad point. I recently checked into a "neurology chiropractor" but it's very expensive for the extensive tests and treatments they do. There are various types of injections, trigger point (don't last that long) and nerve block.
I know how hard it is. My back is breaking today after shopping and preparing for the holidays. Most of the time I just want to stay in bed but I would use up all of my sleeping pills because I cannot sleep without them.
It is hard to find support and caring doctors with this condition. There's a lot of great people here willing to advise. I do know that while anti-depressants do nothing for the pain, if you can tolerate taking one for at least 3 mos., at least you will be addressing that issue and your pain won't be so unbearable.
Wish I could help more. Take care.

booch007 responded:
I am so sorry you have not found what works for you. It is the second biggest issue we have. The first being the doctor fit*.

Just keep the faith and see if something else will help you. Look up under Dr Pellegrino's face and click on his posts they are many...but so much important information there.

Look in resources under Caprice for the Members TOOLBOX and see if there is something in there you haven't tried.

I have two books important in my survival through this.
FM and Chronic Myofascial Disease, a survival manual by Dr Devin Starlanyl is so good. It talks of meds, diet, massage cause and effect on certain muscles, symptoms that won't be relieved. I use it often. (Amazon.com 19.99)

I have fought this for over 15 years now and it can be better, there are some real lows and challenges for all of us. It sounds lke you are in that. With the savella story here...sounds like you were ON TOO MUCH. I only take 12.5mg tablet and bring it up to 25mg when I need help. If I stay on 25mg and this is once a day...I won't sleep and I am tense and can snap too. so I don't go there for long.

But it is so helpful with my other meds and supplements.

Not all can take the 50mg twice a day dose. It is a norepineprhine (adrenaline)elevator more then seratonin like Cymbalta is. It is unique for this. So aggitation is common, lack of sleep, increased heart rate and BP can be there too.

Maybe starting agian at just the 12.5mg tablet....once a day to see how you do.

We are all so different and it is so hard to find the mix that is right for you. Such a challenge for the doctor.....Don't give up. Keep searching and reading and looking for the right fit.

I am a soma (muscle relaxant)3 a day Tramadol 37.5-75mg,3 a day savella 12.5 mg tablet 1 a day Vit B Complex, Vit D, Mag 250 twice a day girl. It took years to get this mix figured.

Was just Soma and motrin for a long time...but needed the Tramadaol as too much motrin was being taken....I am so careful to not go high or take an increased dose for longer then I need to have in my life........I do what I need to do and my doctor is so supportive to "keep me going". I do more NON medical then pills.

Good luck in this most challenging part of the process......
I hope you figure it out for you soon. Hugs, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.