Skip to content
Sampson has gone to dog heaven
maggiethedoglover posted:
Dear friends,

On 12/20/12, my sweet, sweet dog, Sampson, died. I have been heartbroken since. Every thing I do and everywhere I look reminds me of him. We have had dogs before but I have never attached to one like I did to this gentle giant of a dog.

Near the end (for more than a month), he refused to eat any dog food so he ate like the rest of the family It was a big chore getting him to take his medicine. He had severe hip dysplasia also and needed a strong NSAID. He could smell it wherever I hid it in his food.

If you've ever attached yourself to an animal, you will know how I feel. Hopefully the pain will lessen with time.

I hope that all of you had a great Christmas day or a Happy Hanukkah.

May 2013 bring you relief from pain and the joy of great friendships.

Soft hugs,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire
FirstPrevious12NextLast

angelswife responded:
((((Maggie)))) I am so sorry. The pain does lessen with time but there is always that space. I carry several cat-shaped spaces in my heart, so I understand. I am sending lots of soft hugs your way. XOXO

dollbug responded:
Hello Maggie.....I am so sorry about your lost....it is so sad when we lost one of our family members....I lost my sweet Rusty in 2004....he was 17 years young...he had some health issues...and I actually still miss him terribly...he was one of my children....and grew up with them...he just did not get any bigger....

I hope with time it gets better....but I think they are always a part of our life....regardless....I now have a female dog who looks just like my Rusty did...but she is different...there will never be another dog to take his place...

I know how you feel....and I hope it gets better for you.

At least you know he is no longer in pain.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

xperky responded:
Oh Maggie, so sorry for your loss. I know the mournful feeling all too well.

I have found it helpful to do an activity that did not used to include my loved one, to at least have a few moment's peace.

You have my condolences.
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 responded:
Maggie I am so sorry. The pain is deep as they are our children so it is hard to heal it. But it does heal, and belief in the everafter is helpful.

Hugs from me. Sad times for you....I hope the holiday helped a bit. Nancy B

jillylin responded:
I'm so sorry you have lost your Sampson. They are not pets, they are family.
Hugs
Jilly in the UK.

jillylin responded:
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

dollbug replied to jillylin's response:
OMG.....Thank you Jillylin for sharing this.....it is indeed a *treasure that we all can keep close to our hearts*....

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

katmandulou responded:
maggie:
My sincerest condolences on your loss. I've lost three fur kids, and I know it's not easy. The pain does lessen over time, and I hope your pain yields to happy memories soon.
Lou

maggiethedoglover replied to angelswife's response:
Thank you Angelswife. The hugs are greatly appreciated.

maggiethedoglover replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks MiMi,

I don't think any other dog will ever replace Sampson. He was the sweetest dog! I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

maggie

maggiethedoglover replied to xperky's response:
Thanks Margaret,

Every time I think that I am getting better something reminds me of him. We were just getting to know each other so well that we could tell what the other was thinking.

You are a sweet, compassionate woman.

maggie

maggiethedoglover replied to booch007's response:
Thanks Nancy B,

Your hugs will help a great deal as I have often admired your strength.

The holiday did help. The best part was when my son and daughter-in-law said, after the meal: "Now you sit down and we're going to do everything to clean up and put food away".

maggie

maggiethedoglover replied to jillylin's response:
You are so right Jillylin. Thank you!

maggiethedoglover replied to jillylin's response:
Jillylin,

This is so special and helpful. What beautiful imagery it invokes! As MiMi said, it is indeed a treasure to keep close to our hearts. You are a treasure for posting it for me.

Thank you my friend!

maggie

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.