Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to Fribro
An_249588 posted:
A week before Christmas I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I think I have had it for about 3 years when going over symptoms. I want to know though... will I always be this tired? How do I know if something serious hurts or it's just the fibro? I'm trying to eat right and get at least 7-8 hours sleep a night ( can't sleep all through wake up about every 3 hours.) and I'm forcing myself to keep working out. I wake up sometimes and my whole body is just electric with pain but most of the time it's centered in certain areas. Is this normal? Will I ever feel normal again? How do I let people know I'm having a bad day or something hurts without sounding like I'm always complaining? Any help with these questions would be much appreciated!! Thank you!!

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC....sorry that you have met the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....but I am sure that soon you will find some good tools that will help you cope better...chronic fatigue sometimes goes along with FM...I do hope that this will get better for you...it is important also to eat right and sleep enough....almost anything and everything though takes a trial and error process to figure out just what we, FMers, need to help us cope better....and this takes time and effort....a person should allow at least 6-8 weeks of whatever you decide to try before making a decision as to whether or not it is helping you.

I would encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is important to a lot of people these days...low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well...(according to the medical researchers)...it is just a *simple blood test*...but you MUST ASK the doctor to check it...as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do.

Most people do not understand FM and just how much it can affect us....I think, for the most part, it is because we *DO NOT LOOK SICK*...neither family or friends really have a clue just how much pain we deal with...

You should learn how to pace, pace and pace even more....this will take time...but you will soon learn just how important this is to do...we can no longer try to do it all, like most of us have been use to....you can continue to *push yourself* but you will also pay for doing this...

I hope you will check out the info under *tips* and *resources* that you will find to the right of this page...you will find some really good *tools and tips* that perhaps you have not thought of trying.

Have you tried using a heating pad yet? Most of us are good friends with them...Stopain Spray is also a good thing to keep on hand...(you can find this at walmart for just under $8-it is well worth it, good stuff)....perhaps a foam mattress topper might help you sleep better....taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts to help your body to rest, right before bedtime also helps me....too tired to shower- then just soak your feet in it....it works well too.

Doing gentle exercises or stretches each day is also good for you as well.....GENTLE be the word here.....

Drinking plenty of water and taking vitamins and supplements also is what I depend upon....this helps me to *control my FM pain*....

Keeping myself on a schedule of sorts also helps...

OK...this is a start....please know that we all understand what you are going through...and remember that it will get better.....but it does take time.

I hope you have a good doctor who knows how to treat people with FM....this is also important...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

xperky responded:
Sorry your holiday had to include that new diagnosis. Hopefully you will find a good combo of vitamins, medicines, exercises and rest. You may find it helpful to pace yourself, seriously pace yourself! That way you can avoid the -good day-bad day- cycle.

MiMi gave you good pointers!

Welcome to the group.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
461 of 536 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.