Skip to content
Fibromyalia and blood clots
mlong posted:
Ive been diagnosed w/ fibromyalgia by several different docs specializing in rheumatology, orthopedic surgeon to my primary care doc. Ive tried Lyrica, Cymbalta, n Savella n none work 4 me. In Oct 2012, I had to go to ER in severe pain n swelling in my left leg where they found a DVT. Ive been taking Coumadin and my levels have not been where they r supposed to be. There is also no explaination 4 my clot as I have not meet criteria 4 blood clots and all the heredity tests/ blood work have all come back normal. I think there is a correlation between fibromyalgia and blood clots. Has there been any research done on this? Also what do I need to have to prove to Insurance company n Social Security to get disability. Im not able to work because it affects my hands causing weekness and pain. Currently, I cant even take off those security labels n have difficulty opening bottles n other containers. Plz advise. Thank you.

squarley responded:
NEVER HEARD OF FIBRO AND BLOOD CLOTS FROM ANY ONE MAY BE GOOD QUESTION FOR DR. P. BUT I DO HAVE THE PAIN IN HANDS AND WEAKNESS ,IN MY ARMS AND LEGS TO, HOPE YOU FIND REASON FOR THE BLOOD CLOT ,YOUR IN MY PRAYERS, I AM ON DISSIBLITY BUT I HAVE FIBRO, AND MENIERE'S AND MIGRAINES ,AND IBS AND ACID REFLEX, AND SEVERE ANXIETY, BUT YOU MAY TRY YOU JUST CALL THEM SOCIAL SECURITY,OR IF YOU HAVE LONG TERM AT YOUR WORK THEY SEND YOU THE PAPER WORK YOU FILL IT OUT AND GO FROM THERE,DO POST TO DR. P ABOUT BLOOD CLOTS ,I LIKE TO KNOW MY SELF,HUGS ,SHIRLEY

mlong replied to squarley's response:
thank u so much 4 ur kind words n prayers. i really appreciate it. i also suffer frm other issues too such as ibs, acid reflux, n anxiety. ive been told that my ibs, anxiety n restless leg symptoms come with the fibromyalgia. i will also keep u in my prayers. plz advise how i can send post to the doctor. thank u. God bless.

booch007 responded:
Good morning Mlong,

Sorry you have not found anything that helps to lower your pain be sure to look in the MEMBERS TOOLBOX under resources to see what others do as a group. We are all different yet the same in fighting this.

As far as the blood clot goes my thought is this. When we are in pain we are sedintary....tend to sit still and this increases the risk for clots. All you need is to bang the area and start the substrate for the making of a clot then sit still and decrease the movement of blood through there and it will happen. Sometimes without remembering the trauma.

I have vascular disease and have had phlebitis (very painful I might say) I have had many surgeries to help and protect me also. But I do get into trouble with the smallest of injuries at times. I will lotion my legs and find a vessel is inflamed.

Now I know your had to be the deep vein thrombosis or you wouldn't be on Coumadin. A bit harder to explain...but sitting and being dormant is big. Sometimes after scans we just say a fluke.....a small weakness in that area to catch debris and be at risk for a clot. Like irregularities in heart vessels that have them pick up more debris than others.....

I am glad you were found and treated and no harm came to you or your lungs.....This is what is hapening to Clinton right now....maybe bedrest from the head injury put her leg at risk and SHE now walks your path......

Good luck, I don't know of any connection to the FM.

Hugs from here, Nancy B

amanda_sgro responded:
I am in exactly the same boat!! Let me know if you find anything that works.

missist replied to amanda_sgro's response:
biggest thing for that is to move around. My mom didn't and she ended up dying of embolism. She did have fibro --but she had a lot of other things too. I think the clot was from sitting too much--that said, I don't blame her she was in a lot of pain.
will pray for you both,
Mary

franr responded:
Hi mlong

I don't think there is a correlation to fibro to blood clots. Have they done a cardiac workup on you?Or are you taking birth control pills or smoke? Some times heart problems can cause clots.Is there any family hx of clots.Please make sure to keep up with your blood work and MD,Drink plenty of liquids and elevate your legs while sitting. .Fibromyalgia is no picnic. Maybe you can see a pain management MD. Some of the antidepressants can help with pain and sleep. The more rest you get will help.You have come to the right place for support and encouragement, Keep up updated of your progress. Hugs....Fran R

GeekGirlkw responded:
Have you been checked for Lupus? My girlfriend was misdiagnosed for years and last year she finally received a proper diagnosis of Lupus . knowing what the problem was has helped ease her suffering. The National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Associatio n was started by a lady who was misdiagnosed for years. Reading her articles has been inspiring.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.