Skip to content
Is it just me..
creedus posted:
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia just over 2 months ago. But looking back I've had it for what seems like all my life. Does anyone else dread getting a cold? I understand that with fibro i'll get a sore throat every once in a while. Yet when i get a cold it takes me took long to get over it and i always inevitably end up with bronchitis. I've always been the person to get sick if i'm around someone that's sick no matter how much disinfectant and hand washing occurs. Is this my fibro or something else that I'm going to have to get used to having and be like why couldn't they have caught this earlier?

Anon_2912 responded:
I don't get colds or anything of that nature. Maybe once a year during the winter it is stuffy sinuses. No sore throats or anything viral. Rarely do I catch anything. I don't and never have gotten the flu shot either. I had the flu once about 20yrs ago.

I have co-workers who catch everything and they don't have fibro. I have FM but don't catch anything.

It's just how our bodies are. You will either get sick or you won't. I don't believe it is FM related, this is how your immune system is.

Anon_10089 replied to Anon_2912's response:
Hello-

I also do not get sick very often--probably less than average. However, I know that many people with FM seem to. Possibly, it could be FM overlapping with chronic fatigue syndrome. I believe CFS can be indicated for getting sick often. Perhaps research CFS to see if there are any solutions.

Or as the above person said, could just be your body. Do you eat a high nutrient diet or use supplements?

Either way, sorry you have to deal with that on top of the FM. I feel fortunate that other than the symptoms associated with FM, I'm healthy. It's like getting kicked when you're already down!

booch007 responded:
My hypothesis here is...we tend to get low in the spirit department as we carry such issues everyday. In being low we tend to weaken the immune system and that sets us up to be vulnerable to be sick.

I am working so hard to be in an up* positive place despite the start of this year being my worst ever....

This is just my thought, again I feel that viruses are opportunistic, if the immune system is weakened in an individual...it has the ability to replicate and take over. I also have, when I get sick, think back 3 days to where my exposure was...and the 3 days to suffer and 3 days to win the battle....

I hate getting these viruses...my exposure is quite high in the office but I don't get more then one or two a year. I also always get my flu shot and seeing this years numbers I am so glad I did.

Hope you are better.....hugs, nancy B

creedus replied to booch007's response:
Thanks for the responses. @Booch007 I believe you in the spiritual department. I've been researching and I'm going to ask my doctors certain questions. I have a brother that has sarcoidosis, a cousin with lupus, and a myriad of other things going on in my family. So I'm at the point that I'm going with the flow and trying to keep doing what i need to do. I'm starting to get a since of deja vu with my week upper respiratory system.

creedus responded:
Thanks for those that posted. I went in to the doctor and it was as I suspected bronchitis. I'm still trying to figure out why I'm so susceptible to get that. I'll get searching till I get some answers.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.