Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Finally Slept a few
franr posted:
Dear Friends
After 5 weeks of no sleep and out of desperation I took a 1/2 of ambien last night and sleep until 7am. I still have many months to go.I am not sure if thsi the right thing to do but after trying all the other meds with no sleep.Still waitting for the Boston app.Seeing GI tomorrow for throat and reflex problems.It never ends.I want to let you know how much I appreciate all your kndness and advice. I joined Yahoo fibro group but all they do there is argue among themselves.I will not participate in that.Please be aware I thik of all often.

katmandulou responded:
Hi FranR:
I'm happy you were finally able to get some sleep. Sometimes there's so much going on we don't realize what a couple of hours can do for us.

I haven't talked with you personally, but I'd like to welcome you. This group is indeed helpful and friendly, and I've enjoyed being here. We've all had different experiences and can learn from each other, but keep in mind that what works for you won't necessarily work for me.

There are some good resources in the right-hand column. Also check out http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ . There are some good tips for us, and you have to check out The Spoon Theory - it will help people understand what it's like to be in your body.

Wishing you the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

Anon_10089 responded:
That's good! I'm glad you got some sleep. Have you not been taking a sleep aid all this time?

I have had horrible sleep my whole life. Naturally, it takes me awhile to fall asleep, and I wake up multiple times during the night. I was the only adolescent I knew that didn't and couldn't sleep in. I was up early with the older people since staying in bed hurt worse!

I'm only 30 now and have been taking a sleep aid nightly for about five years. I can get by with taking benedryl, melatonin, or a combination. I take at lease 9 mgs of melatonin, sometimes 3 benedryl pills. I also take a low dose of amyltriptiline (30mgs), which I think helps with sleep. Also, I can take a muscle relaxer (flexeril) which helps sleep too.

I asked my doctor about the long-term of doing this, since I know that if you take sleep aids your body will inhibit its own sleep chemicals. Her conclusion, and mine, is that my body has never produced the right amount of chemicals to make me sleep, so I probably will have to take something from now on.

Getting sleep definitely helps me. I'm not sure if my pain levels are lower, but I can cope with it all much better, and that's most of the battle. I also break the cardinal rule of insomnia and take naps when I can.

I hope you and your doctor can come up with something to get you sleeping! I don't want to be a pill pusher, but take that ambien if you need it!

franr replied to Anon_10089's response:
Hi

I tried ambien before and it gave me more insomenia and then he put me on lunesta and I developed thrush. Believe me I feel I have been around the bpock with is was on Klonapin for 18 years but it stopped working.The pscy also put me on xanax long acting doesn't seem to heplmuch. I cannot get help from anyone . Going intoBoston on22th to see a Neurologist at Brighams. Please praythey will try to figure this out. I feel as though I am just floundering and not getting better. I never go out anymore because of the pain. Did walk today but fearful the back and chest pain will return and need my heating packs. Please keep me in your prayers. Fran

Anon_2912 replied to Anon_10089's response:
I have been on ambien for well over 18yrs. I developed insomnia due to hyper/graves.

I take 10mg every night with a maxium strength sominex.

I am able to sleep about 2-3 hrs without waking up, but after that, I am up...

Used to this however, I do not nap at all, nor do I get tired. I feel like the energizer bunny....

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
457 of 532 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.