Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I have missed everyone.
debrabrooks1960 posted:
Hello everyone,

I have not been on in awhile. Christmas Eve my younger brother collapsed in his home. He laid on the floor for 24 hours before he was found. He had a stroke and a heart attack. He has been in ICU since Christmas day. We have been going back and forth to Tampa Florida (6 hours from our home). My brother has been on life support. The doctors wanted us to unplug him so he could die. We just could not unplug him. He is only 47 years old. Thank God we did not. In the last week he has woken up, can use his left hand to tell us what he needs. Today he was taken off the breathing machine for 4 hours! Little by little he is getting better. He is even watching television. We are going back to Tampa tomorrow to see him again. He is being transferred to a long term facility for rehab.

I hope everyone had a good holiday season. I have missed the chat room. Please take care and if it is not too much trouble could you please say a prayer for my brother. His name is Gene.

Soft hugs to all,
Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

lb707 responded:
That is a post that deserves to be repeated!

lauab

dollbug responded:
Hello Debbie....MiMi in NC...so glad that your brother is doing better....sounds like he has really been through a lot....the doctors do not always know what is best for people....I am glad that the family made the right decision....when my DH had cancer many years ago now....they did not give him a chance either....I ended up moving him from one hospital to another and he was treated and eventually got better....the doctors did not think he would ever be able to work again....well...he is still ok and has been working for many years now.

Only GOD knows when it is time to give up. I hope your brother will continue to improve and get well soon.

Thoughts and prayers are with him and your family as well.

Keep up updated when you can about him.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
Good morning Debbie,

Boy this is a rough road and tough call for the staff when someone is found so late in the process of an event.

I am happy you have him and he woke up . It doesn't always go that way. I hope he is able to accept what has happened and work in PT to get the most back. Often with a right sided stroke there is speech involvement and it takes a long time to talk again.

Embarrassment of how he will sound will be in the play. We tell patients to talk to the TV...(just him and the TV there) it is practice....also singing is a different area of the the brain process so what words can't come out in word can come out in song. Weird I know but it works.

Learning to write with the left hand its another challenge and eating with one hand.....if he is strong willed, don't take the frustrations personally. They lash out to the loved ones (they know you won't leave them) This is big.

God stopped him in his tracks and he has alot to go through. As we had to accept the NEW US, so does he. Some never get there....also you have the heart issues to deal with too.

I am so sorry for you as he is so young, but with love around him anything is possible.

My BIL is similar and there are all degrees...but he can't read either. It is called aphasia when you can't speak and there is expressive and then there is receptive aphasia...(expressive is talking and receptive is the input) where TV and reading are jumbled as well...you see the objects but you can't make sense of them. Even reading a clock is not right. Number are there but what do they mean?

Hope it is a good rehab facility. Presence of family there also helps the care (they know people are watching).

My heart goes out to you. If I can do anything or help you in any way, let me know. Nancy B

Kjones72 replied to lb707's response:
Hi lb707, I saw a few of your posts on here about you getting your SSD for fibromyalgia & was wondering if there is any way that I can ask you about it. I go to a SSD hearing soon. My email is kristianl.jones@gmail.com if you would consider contacting me. Thank you

lb707 replied to Kjones72's response:
I never had to go to a hearing.....my attorney go one last SSD medical exam with a Psychologist. I googled her and found out she works with fibro patients.

I went to the exam and the questions she asked had me in tears even though she was compassionate. That was on a Saturday my attorney called Monday and ask how it went I said I think she understood. I received an approval letter the following Saturday.

laurab

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.