Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What medications (prescription or OTC) and diet items work best to help you manage your FM?
bll00 posted:
I am new to this arena and would like to know what is working for others. Thanks

dollbug responded:
Hello bll00 and welcome....MiMi in NC....interesting statement that you have made....very broad subject....I think you have found a good FM support group who will share what they have found that has worked for them....as you probably already know....we are all different....and what helps one may or may not help you....YOU have to do your own trial and error process and decide what helps you....this might take a while though...as you will probably find out it takes a combination of *things* which will work...you should allow at least 6-8 weeks of whatever you decide to start with, unless, of course, it is making you sicker than you have been. It does take time and effort to get your body use to what you are doing for it....in order to get the *full results* of how it just might help you cope better with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.

I know that in the beginning....my doctor tried all sorts of different medicines....he was actually treating me for *depression* though...I had multiple health issues though and did not find anything which really helped me without causing other side effects...and most of us DO NOT NEED another thing to deal with...you have to be the one to decide though what is working for you.

As for me...I take vitamins and supplements and do other things as well....I have managed to control my FM pain, for the most part...but I am not pain free, nor do I expect to be...(it would be nice though, if the pain just disappeared).

I would like to suggest to you though to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level, which is important to a lot of people these days....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well...Do your own research about Vitamin D...you might find out that there are some interesting things which have been researched and discovered concerning it.

A heating pad is my best friend, as far as pain goes. I am dealing with some lower back pain right now. The heating pad seems to be the only thing that I can use to get any relief. I also use Stopain, as needed...you can get this at walmart or other places...it runs around $8....and it is *good stuff*.

Drinking plenty of water and watching what you eat is also important...doing gentle stretching and exercising is also important....(GENTLE being the key word here)...
getting enough sleep is also very important for most of us FMers...lack of sleep can make pain worse for me. There are days when I have problems with sleep and if I am going through this I take a hot shower using lavender bath salts in a stopped up drain...or just soak my feet...(this too works).

A good doctor who understands FM is a must for us FMers as well....some doctors still do not even believe that FM exists....they are a little bit *behind*.

Learning how to accept FM and to pace, pace and pace even more is very important....we are no longer the persons we once were....our life is now different....sometimes it takes a while to actually believe that we have such a mean and ugly illness...I wish I could that there is a cure for it...but so far I do not think there is...BUT the good thing is that you will surely find something that will help you cope better with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.

We, FMers, must keep on keeping on...until we find what helps us cope better. Everything is a process.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

Please look in the resources section under caprice for the MEMBERS TOOLBOX. There is alot of information there on how we survive this. .

It is a challenge I wouldn't wish on anyone.....Nancy B

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.