Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Throbbing pain
An_248463 posted:
Don't post here often, but I'm trying to figure out why I have this throbbing pain in my right side. it is my arm part of my neck, my lower back, and it really hurts when I turn my neck toward my right.

I wonder if it is weather related, because it is really cold where I'm. I usually know what to expect on certain days, but this gets me. I've felt this kind of pain in my chest before. And also, I had pains like cramps and charlie-horses before the throbbing came.

Can anyone relate? Imput is appreciated, if you can.

Thanks

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

Of course it could be something out in your neck or back or something irritated by the weather. But any new pain should be taken seriously. If you're worried about it, follow your gut. Sometimes new pains are not caused from the FM. If it doesn't get better or worsens, maybe call your doctor.

teegeeme responded:
I get this pain quite often regardless of the weather however colder weather makes it worse. I do have herniated discs in my neck and lower back. Perhaps you slept of your neck the wrong way. You might want to go to your doc to rule out the possibility of herniated discs. I also get charly horses and it could be that your muscles were strained from the charly horses. I can truly relate to the problem you're having.......one of the millions of fibro symptoms. Hope you're feeling better real soon!

zippdee7 responded:
Thanks for the advice. I've had something similar before, but did seem too intense before. I also have ulnar nerve entrapment. Was suggested that I have surgery on teh right arm, but if they couldn't guarantee improvement, I did not want to go through the pain and expense.

Have notice that I have problems dropping things and not being able to grasp things, and..sorry to be dragging on, but I don't have anyone to talk to that can relate.

zippdee7 replied to teegeeme's response:
Thanks.

BetteK responded:
Of course fibro is related to weather. I've been there for 42 years, and if there is one thing that I can count on, it's that high humidity brings on flares. Some of my best days have been well below zero but very dry--lots of static electricity.
Have you been examined for myofascial trigger points? They can really confuse the fibro mix. Myofascial trigger points are usually tight knots within muscles. They can also refer pain to other areas of the body.

Just because you have fibromyalgia, does not mean that every pain is fibro. Check it out. But any new pain should be checked out. BetteK

dollbug replied to zippdee7's response:
Hello zippdee.....MiMi in NC....I wanted to comment to your post...as you said you have ulnar nerve entrapment. And they suggested surgery. A few years ago...I had shoulder pain all the way down to the fingers on my right hand....I ended up having cervial (neck) surgery first....the neurosurgeon told me that the pain might be coming from my neck area...(no neck pain though)...as there are nerves which cross there which control the arm/elbow and hand....I also had terrible elbow pain and hand pain as well...it got so bad that I was unable to use my right hand at all...could not lift it high enough to wash my hair or brush my teeth...

The MRI showed that I had cervical disc problems so we started with the neck area first. The fixed my shoulder pain but I still had elbow and hand pain...so I recovered and was hoping that as I recovered my pain would get better in the elbow and hand. It got worse. So eventually I also had to have elbow surgery as well and he did the carpal tunnel surgery at the same time.

The neurosurgeon told me that my elbow was really very red, swollen and inflammed....one of the worst cases he had seen. He also told me that it would probably take at least 2 years for it to completely heal.

The surgery was major and I had a very rough time. He was indeed correct though...it actually took over 2 years for it to completely heal. Recovery was very slow but it did finally take care of the pain and problems that I had.

I worried about the left elbow getting in the same shape...as it also begin to cause problems. The doctor told me he had no idea what caused this or how my elbow got so bad.

My surgery though improved me 100%. I still think that perhaps my problems were connected to FM...do not know this for sure.

My left elbow on occasion still gives me problems. When this starts I use a heating pad on it and make sure that I keep it *home*...close to my side. I sleep in a recliner and I also have elbow braces and wrist braces that I can wear if needed.

I would like to say that IF you have not gotten your Vitamin D level checked that perhaps you should talk to your doctor about getting this done. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I hope you will find something soon that will help you cope better.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 replied to zippdee7's response:
ZIPPDEE, I also have to deal with Ulnar entrapement. OUCH...The neurologist I saw first wanted to transpose the ulna nerve at the elbow and move it to the inner aspect of the arm.

HOLY CRAP don't do it! As soon as he said it, I said I would have to tattoo my arm as blood gasses are taken there and you would be tortured in your old age with unknow people sticking the nerve area!!

The entrapement area is actually in the muscles in front of and behind the arm pit. I get them injected with trigger point injections and they are so much more tolerable now.

The arm burns all the way up the root of the nerve right? into the upper arm muscle and burning and flaccid fingers in the morning? Pinky and ring finger....OH it is a challenge.

I think I got it from all the B/P's I do with my arm muscles.
But again in the book "FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain" , a survival manual...by Dr Devin Starlanyl, you can find the sites to work yourself. It takes much longer to work them out with massage and heat then with an injection. But can be done.

At least you know where the tool to fix it is, and where it is happening from. Good luck. Here is hoping this helped.
NancyB

Wolfsong452 responded:
if this is something different and you've never had this before, you need to have a doctor see it. Could be anything.

zippdee7 responded:

Thanks for all information and insight. Don't come here as much as I should. It's nice to cummunicate with people who at least, understand, or try to. I had already been checked for Vitamin D Levels, and I think they are ok. I've had low Vitamin D levels before, and I had never heard of that before, I was prescribed strong Vitamin D. Felt better after that. I was feeling drained. It was to the place I I felt like I could hardly get around and do anything. Didn't Know I needed it checked for Fibro.

Don't worry. I'll be back. Have plenty questions.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.